First round contracts/holdouts list - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 02.08.2009, 05:14 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Breitenbach View Post
I don't think I should have used the world talent though, I should have written you can't claim as a player that you should have been taken higher.

When you evaluate a player you don't only focus on talent. Clearly the off the field issues weighed against the talent led to him being taken at 21. I'm sure there have been plenty of players is similar circumstances with exceptional talent but bad "attitude" who have just had loads of suspensions, Pacman Jones springs to ming, and therefore didn't warrant the pick used on him.
OK, but the problem you have here is that Crabtree doesn't have off-field issues. He thinks (somewhat legitimately) that an injury that meant he couldn't post a 40 time caused him to fall, that and the Raiders being controlled by a senile retard.
Sponsored Links
Old 02.08.2009, 05:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
OK, but the problem you have here is that Crabtree doesn't have off-field issues. He thinks (somewhat legitimately) that an injury that meant he couldn't post a 40 time caused him to fall, that and the Raiders being controlled by a senile retard.
I read somewhere that he was acting like a spoilt rich kid, obviously that's nothing compared to getting into trouble with the law but it's still something to consider. For all we know Crabtree won't recover from the injury and DHB will be a Hall of Famer, it's not particularly likely but it's still possible.
Old 02.08.2009, 05:32 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanebassist086 View Post
The raiders saw DHB as a better fit for their system, not a better player
Al Davis knew that crabtree was a far better player but he took the fastest guy in the draft because he still wants Jim Plunkett to cliff branch football. Davis is a guy who drafted a kicker in round one so you cannot hold his judgement very highly

Crabtree definately should not get top 5 money because he was the tenth pick but there is no doubt he was in the top 3 of talent in the draft, teams that picked 1-9 just had more pressing needs than wideout

I agree 100%, my comment was only about money.
Old 02.08.2009, 05:37 PM
All Pro

anyone else see Maclin and Ayers holding out for a while Freeman 36 Million and Pettigrew 14.6 Million, i know Freeman got a QB deal but that is a bigger jump then QB premium is normally.

its the problem the Bengals and Jags had last year with Sedrick Ellis contract was a lot bigger then Jerod Mayo at 10
Old 02.08.2009, 05:41 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree 100%, my comment was only about money.
Insane and J Breitenbach agree?? the world is out of synch lol
Old 02.08.2009, 05:41 PM
MVP

Quote:
I read somewhere that he was acting like a spoilt rich kid, obviously that's nothing compared to getting into trouble with the law but it's still something to consider. For all we know Crabtree won't recover from the injury...
It was a broken bone. They heal back stronger.
Old 02.08.2009, 07:52 PM
Pro

Crabtree did have character concerns before the draft:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/200...ost-risky-pick
Old 02.08.2009, 08:01 PM
All Pro

That was one of the few articles to make anything of it and it was derided at the time. It hasn't become any more legitimate just because it still exists online.
Old 02.08.2009, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

The whole Crabtree thing is one of those situations where there is no right or wrong aspect. It is a symptom of the marketplace and I can see both sides irrespective of Crabtree's diva potential off the filed his agent is doing his job.

I think the first issue is a general one that people don't like or think it is right that these rookies are given the amount of money that they are. I think 99% of people fall into that camp. However, as much as it displeases people it is a fact of the current marketplace and until Goodell does something about it, one we'll all have to accept.

Once you accept the market for rookies is what it is you cannot blame players and their agents for wanting to get the best deal possible. It would be foolish for Crabtree to take less if he feels he can get more because ultimately he does have high value within the current market. The question is one of business and in that sense Crabtree's agent is doing his job.

At the end of the day Crabtree's agent can point to a variety of evidence to support the notion that his client s worth more than DHB, College production, pre draft analysis, post draft analysis and of course the injury issue. The merit of those things are subjective but I do think of all the players out there who were expected to go higher Crabtree is that guy and should he have gone higher? Most people (who are not Al Davis) would say yes and Crabtree's agent knows that.

I don't like to see these rookies paid so highly with their lack of experience but i the current market I don't see that players are so dumb as to just accept that you get paid according to your draft position because the system does not work like that. The way I see it is that the system is at fault giving these unproven players a chance to make such vast amounts but within that system Crabtree is being smart to try and get his true value and the 49ers are being smart to get him for less. Although, I doubt they really thought they thought they'd have had the chance to sign him which means they got lucky once so it's a negotiation. I think they eventually have to give him better terms than his draft position but not top 5 money, they compromise and give him similar, maybe marginally more than DHB.
Old 02.08.2009, 08:17 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffrey Foo View Post
Insane and J Breitenbach agree?? the world is out of synch lol
the planets must be aligned

Tags
contract , holdout , rookie