Which team?! - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Sponsored Links

Old 07.11.2018, 01:34 PM
Rookie

Default Which team?!

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if I'm missing something, by posting a new thread here, because I can only see a few sticky threads!....

Anyway, I've admired the sport for many years and yesterday I bought the NFL Game Pass, because I really wanna start being a proper NFL fan (eventually!).... Only issue is, I'm really struggling to choose a team....
I need everyone's help to see what you all think!

I don't really have enough free time to watch loads of games, to see which team's style I prefer, so just looking to decide by other means.... I've narrowed it down to two teams, but could be persuaded to go with another team, if your arguments are strong enough....

1) Miami Dolphins - Firstly I've been to one of their Wembley games and bought a replica jersey afterwards, but also, I love Florida, their stadium is nice and their colours are easily the best in the whole NFL. But I also can relate to them, being an Arsenal fan, because of the unbeaten seasons that both Dolphins and Arsenal had, so there's a relatable link there.

2) Pittsburgh Steelers - Not a massive fan of their jersey, but with the full kit on, it's beautiful. Their stadium is gorgeous and the fanbase looks amazing, with the terrible towels swinging. Obviously they have a rich history, with the most SB trophies (correct me if I'm wrong!), despite not winning it for almost a decade (again, similar to Arsenal), plus I've always really liked them, from way back in 2009ish and if anyone asked me previously, I'd always say I liked the Steelers the best.

Any opinions, arguments for/against either team, or even arguments for other teams are desperately wanted!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Old 08.11.2018, 01:48 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedricDan View Post
Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if I'm missing something, by posting a new thread here, because I can only see a few sticky threads!....

Anyway, I've admired the sport for many years and yesterday I bought the NFL Game Pass, because I really wanna start being a proper NFL fan (eventually!).... Only issue is, I'm really struggling to choose a team....

I don't really have enough free time to watch loads of games, to see which team's style I prefer, so just looking to decide by other means.... I've narrowed it down to two teams, but could be persuaded to go with another team, if your arguments are strong enough....

1) Miami Dolphins - Firstly I've been to one of their Wembley games and bought a replica jersey afterwards, but also, I love Florida, their stadium is nice and their colours are easily the best in the whole NFL. But I also can relate to them, being an Arsenal fan, because of the unbeaten seasons that both Dolphins and Arsenal had, so there's a relatable link there.

2) Pittsburgh Steelers - Not a massive fan of their jersey, but with the full kit on, it's beautiful. Their stadium is gorgeous and the fanbase looks amazing, with the terrible towels swinging. Obviously they have a rich history, with the most SB trophies (correct me if I'm wrong!), despite not winning it for almost a decade (again, similar to Arsenal), plus I've always really liked them, from way back in 2009ish and if anyone asked me previously, I'd always say I liked the Steelers the best.

Any opinions, arguments for/against either team, or even arguments for other teams are desperately wanted!

Cheers

From the things you've said, it seems like the Steelers should be your team. The generic advice on here is give it some time and your team picks you - you will naturally start to feel good with a win or the pain of a last minute loss. You're looking at the right things already with the Steelers.

Another thing to consider is if you eventually want to get out to watch a game in the States. In this case then Florida will be more a of a pull to you as you stated. Miami is a lot easier to get to than Pittsburgh and the tickets for Miami will be a lot cheaper in general.

If you're unlikely to get out there for a game it might even be worth thinking about Jax. Wembley is nothing like going to America but it's better watching your team in London than on TV.

Just a note if your new to Gamepass. You wont be able to watch the Sunday 6pm or 9.30pm game that Sky sports are broadcasting live if you're in the UK.
Old 11.11.2018, 12:19 AM
MVP

Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers
If you're picking teams for reasons other than current players/styles of play (which is a good way to do it, i think), then you literally couldn't get two more different teams than these. Which leads me to ask, what do you really want from your team? It sounds as though you're not very clear so I'm wondering how you ended up with these 2 in the final selection.

Pittsburgh is a blue collar team. It is no nonsense and all about tradition. There are no cheerleaders. No razzamatazz. It gets very cold in western Pennsylvania in December and January. The Steelers run through the veins of the city. Not just the name coming from the historic industry, but I mean that football is a way of life in Pittsburgh. Everyone in the city loves their Steelers; Steelers stuff is everywhere. The fanbase is committed. They travel all over America. The team has historically been about Defense, running the football and drafting well. No throwing big money at free agents.

Miami is the polar opposite. It is a party city. Sunshine and sea. These are the principle interests of the city of Miami, plus the Heat while they were doing well. The fanbase is pretty half hearted, to be honest. There are other things to do in south Florida, after all. The stadium will have a lot of fans of the away team in it whenever a big team from the north-east or mid-west is in town. (There's a big UK fanbase though, the 2nd biggest). Cheerleaders are a given, of course. Warm weather games year round, though the team does need to stand up to the cold with road games every year in New England, New York and Buffalo. The 72 Dolphins are the only unbeaten team in the modern era, but more recently Miami is known for chucking big money at big names who then don't deliver the goods.

I'm not going to recommend either team to you. I'll just say they are chalk and cheese. Maybe you should read up on other teams too and see what it is you want.
Old 11.11.2018, 12:25 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luton_Niner View Post
Another thing to consider is if you eventually want to get out to watch a game in the States. In this case then Florida will be more a of a pull to you as you stated. Miami is a lot easier to get to than Pittsburgh and the tickets for Miami will be a lot cheaper in general.
I'd disagree with this advice. Don't pick your team based on whether you're likely to visit. That logic results in everyone picking New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco and Florida teams. But that's silly. If you like your team and want to go to visit, you will go, no matter whether it's an obvious tourist destination or not. I've been to Pittsburgh multiple times. It's a great city, I love it. I especially love that it's off the beaten tourist track. Would I have gone but for the Steelers? No. But that's the point. I've also been to Indianapolis and Cincinnati for football. Some of my fondest memories of travelling around America have been in these kind of places, not Times Square or whatever. I'd love to get out to Kansas City or Minneapolis or whatever to see a game one day.

You are right that Steelers tickets are expensive though. Fanbase and stadium size. That's just a reality unfortunately. But cheap US tickets isn't a good reason to pick a team either.
Old 11.11.2018, 10:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luton_Niner View Post

If you're unlikely to get out there for a game it might even be worth thinking about Jax.

No don't. Not unless you want years and years of disappointment.
Old 13.11.2018, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Many thanks for the replies, I've decided to go with the Steelers.... It just feels right to me!
Feels a bit weird having a Dolphins jersey in my wardrobe though.... Customised with my surname too, so no chance of selling it! -_-
Old 13.11.2018, 09:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Many thanks for the replies, I've decided to go with the Steelers.... It just feels right to me!
Feels a bit weird having a Dolphins jersey in my wardrobe though.... Customised with my surname too, so no chance of selling it! -_-
Welcome to the tribe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qS-TYQkCcc&
Old 14.11.2018, 07:32 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Wow, that's pretty inspiring!
Old 14.11.2018, 08:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post

Pittsburgh is a blue collar team. It is no nonsense and all about tradition. There are no cheerleaders. No razzamatazz. It gets very cold in western Pennsylvania in December and January. The Steelers run through the veins of the city. Not just the name coming from the historic industry, but I mean that football is a way of life in Pittsburgh. Everyone in the city loves their Steelers; Steelers stuff is everywhere. The fanbase is committed. They travel all over America. The team has historically been about Defense, running the football and drafting well. No throwing big money at free agents.
Hard not to be drawn towards that description really.
Old 14.11.2018, 11:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Hard not to be drawn towards that description really.
I remember wandering around a suburb on the North Shore once, just strolling around while I was there for a game. Walked past a school. It was empty as it was Saturday. I looked through the window into a classroom that was next to the road. All the kids' artwork on the walls of the room was Steelers players. It's the same with graffiti murals around town too. Some towns are baseball towns. Others are basketball towns, or not that into sports. Pittsburgh is a football town.