Introductions - Page 118 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Sponsored Links

Old 06.12.2014, 10:26 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
The worst thing to do is to 'turn your back' on a team just because they are successful, popular, or both. If that's the team you started out following before you put too much thought into it, then that's the team to follow. As soon as you start weighing up all the different options of teams, coaches, players, fans etc, you'll just end up bouncing from one team to the next, all the while trying to 'avoid' the team you started off with.

If the Packers 'feels' right, then follow the Packers.
I completely agree with all this except the conclusion: if the Packers feel right then there's something wrong with you.

I'm appealing to you as a man of science, Mr Butty. Fight these unnatural urges. I recommend a stiff course of electroshock therapy which will have you wincing every time you see a picture of Aaron Rodgers. If you're really lucky it'll put you off cheese too and you'll lose a little weight just in time for the party season.

You know it makes sense.

Signed, a friend.
Sponsored Links
Old 06.12.2014, 11:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuffyPacker View Post
I'm 37 and a massive Packers fan from Worcestershire..I have been watching NFL since I was a kid at the end of the eighties on C4. It used to be a family thing, Sunday evening at my nan and Grandad's and a table full of sandwich's and treats. My uncle and Grandad were really into the NFL and I picked it up from there. Like a lot of British NFL fans lost contact with the sport when it was subscription channels only however the last five years have really got back into it. Was meant to attend my first game in October however my car broke down on the M40 in Warwick and never got to the Falcons Lions game. Will be going next year for certain.
Where in Worcestershire man
Old 07.12.2014, 06:10 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
I completely agree with all this except the conclusion: if the Packers feel right then there's something wrong with you.

I'm appealing to you as a man of science, Mr Butty. Fight these unnatural urges. I recommend a stiff course of electroshock therapy which will have you wincing every time you see a picture of Aaron Rodgers. If you're really lucky it'll put you off cheese too and you'll lose a little weight just in time for the party season.

You know it makes sense.

Signed, a friend.
Maybe I'm reading too much in to this friendly advice, but I think there is a whiff of green cheese

I can empathise with Mr Butty, I too have struggled with the guilt of the attraction to success .

In the end, you have to go with your gut,. Only then can you buy all in.
Old 07.12.2014, 11:53 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
The worst thing to do is to 'turn your back' on a team just because they are successful, popular, or both. If that's the team you started out following before you put too much thought into it, then that's the team to follow. As soon as you start weighing up all the different options of teams, coaches, players, fans etc, you'll just end up bouncing from one team to the next, all the while trying to 'avoid' the team you started off with.

If the Packers 'feels' right, then follow the Packers.
This is exactly what happened.

I tried following the Texans but it didn't work for me. I researched the history of the Lions and the Browns and thought maybe they'd be the ones but neither felt right.

In the end, I've had to admit defeat and go with the cheese heads.

Being a Sheffielder it just seems a bit wrong supporting a half-decent team!
Old 11.12.2014, 01:37 PM
All Pro

I've been a lurker for a little while, so thought I'd join in the discussion. started getting into the game after I watched the Saints Colts superbowl round a mates and been hooked since. Attended Wembley games three times, Pats Bucs, niners Jags and this year Lions Falcons, shall be going to the phins jets next year.
Niners fan as I asked my dad who I should follow and he said the 49ers are meant to be good, what a muppet! They were awful at the time but I've stuck by them with varying degrees of success, nice to have the past legacy if they could just get the present!
Old 23.12.2014, 11:59 AM
Rookie

I've lurked for a while on this site.

Been watching the NFL for a few years without a team.

I've read up on a tad of football history though and had a few contenders who matched what I was looking for.

I'm a Sheffield United fan back here so I'm used to defeat being snatched from the jaws of victory. In fact, it was almost a pre-requisite when I was looking for 'my' NFL' team.

Let's quickly look at the Blades big day's in my life.

1993 - Lost to Wednesday in FA Cup Semi Final.

1994 - Lost to Chelsea, relegated. (2-0 up, lost 3-2)

1997 - Lost to Crystal Palace in Play-off Final (Last minute wonder strike)

1998 - Lost to Newcastle United in FA Cup Semi Final

2003 - Lost to Wolves in Play-off Final (3-0 at half-time, game over)

2003 - Lost to Liverpool in League Cup Semi Final (after extra time)

2003 - Lost to Arsenal in FA Cup Semi Final (David Seaman wonder save)

2007 - Lost to Wigan, relegated. (Tevez nonsense excuse)

2009 - Lost to Burnley in Play-off Final

2012 - Lost to Huddersfield in Play-off Final (penalties)

2014 - Lost to Hull in FA Cup Semi Final (2-1 up at half-time, lost 5-3)

Taking this into context, I decided to see if the Bills could finally end their play-off heartbreak and beat the Raiders, putting themselves in contention for the post-season and capturing my heart.

What happened?

The Bills are my guys!
Old 26.12.2014, 08:57 PM
Rookie

Been a Member of NFL UK for years now, but only used the account to play fantasy football when I think I have my pick for that week figured out, they go and lay an egg but hey that's the fun of it, anyway decided to finally post to the forum and join in the discssion.
Old 29.12.2014, 02:03 PM
Rookie

Hi All,

I'm from London and I am a Giants fan. No specific reason, other than the 2007/2008 Super Bowl underdog win and my general love for the city/state (hip hop, graffiti, subway, culture, etc)

I have always liked football, from the days I used to wake up in the morning and watch Trans World Sport on Channel 4 and see the Bears and Raiders! Since then I became more of a fan of rugby, but always dipped into football once in a while. but for the past few years I have been sucked in, and tried to follow as much of the season as possible.

This season I've watched 90% of the games, some just have been on too late and I fall asleep. But I try. Next year I am paying a visit to the Metlife stadium, but unfortunately out of season, so i won't get to see a game

But anyway, lets go Giants (next year)
Old 11.01.2015, 10:10 PM
Rookie

Alright guys. After years of my mate pestering me to give American Football a chance I finally relented and I am really enjoying the Sport. I am still getting to grip with the rules and strategies but I am getting there slowly but surely. I have a team in mind to follow but will make a final decision before next Season. Main question I have for you guys is do any of you know a Pub or Supporters Club in Glasgow that shows NFL?
Old 15.01.2015, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Just stumbled onto this forum via google.

Been following the NFL since the last Superbowl when the Seahawks steamrolled the Broncos and won me £500 on the bookies.

Big fan of Sherman. Following the duds Cleveland Browns, hopefully they can bounce back next season. Made a mistake following the media hype, forked out for a Johnny Football signed ball which is worth WAY less than what I paid for it lol.

Play Madden 15 with my mates and online.

I'm 28 and work in Finance and I follow alot of sports, don't play NFL but would like to try it but don't think I'd do well taking those hits from the DL.