Introductions - Page 126 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Sponsored Links

Old 20.06.2017, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morny View Post
Hi all,

Just joined and just starting out as an NFL fan, so still learning a lot of the ropes.

Recently decided to follow the New York Jets because when our planned holiday to New York in November coincides with one of their home games, so decided I'd like to support the home team and for that to be my team. Looking forward to my first season supporting a team being very, very, very tough......
Welcome, fellow Jet fan! Prepare yourself for a lifetime of pain and suffering, occasionally broken up by a (usually brief) Playoff appearance... #JetUp
Sponsored Links
Old 20.06.2017, 10:11 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Welcome, fellow Jet fan! Prepare yourself for a lifetime of pain and suffering, occasionally broken up by a (usually brief) Playoff appearance... #JetUp
Haha cheers. I think I'm pretty well prepared; in terms of (association) football, I'm a Sunderland fan, so the pain and suffering is par for the course for me.

I'd probably not feel right supporting a good team, although I'd like the opportunity to find out for sure....
Old 20.06.2017, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morny View Post
Haha cheers. I think I'm pretty well prepared; in terms of (association) football, I'm a Sunderland fan, so the pain and suffering is par for the course for me.

I'd probably not feel right supporting a good team, although I'd like the opportunity to find out for sure....
Got you beat there, I'm an Ipswich fan...
Old 20.07.2017, 11:25 AM
Rookie

How you guys doing
In for an exciting season ahead
Old 20.07.2017, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_1 View Post
How you guys doing
In for an exciting season ahead
Welcome Ghost_1! Excuse our dust, we're (hopefully) improving things around here
Jump in and join in, you're more than welcome.

Who's your team? Or just a fan of the whole game?
Old 13.10.2017, 11:25 AM
Rookie

Hi all, I've always been fascinated by the NFL but I never really got into it properly until a couple of months ago.

I own Madden 15 on my PS4 and thanks to that I now have a far better understanding of how the game is played.

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across this great documentary series on Youtube called Americas Game and have been working my way through that in chronological order (I'm up to 1980 now), I would recommend this series 100% to anyone interested in learning the history of the Superbowl.

As far as picking a team to follow, I think I've got Hollywood to thank for that. A while ago I watched the movie Invincible with Mark Wahlberg in it and ever since then I seemed to gravitate toward following the Eagles (plus when I was a kid I thought their logo looked cool) so I guess that's my team sorted.

I still struggle with a lot when it comes to the NFL, in particular how player transfers are conducted and I'm still trying to learn each position on the field and what their job is but hopefully this forum can help me out with that.
Old 14.10.2017, 10:11 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviouslyNotAGolfer View Post
Hi all, I've always been fascinated by the NFL but I never really got into it properly until a couple of months ago.

I own Madden 15 on my PS4 and thanks to that I now have a far better understanding of how the game is played.

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across this great documentary series on Youtube called Americas Game and have been working my way through that in chronological order (I'm up to 1980 now), I would recommend this series 100% to anyone interested in learning the history of the Superbowl.

As far as picking a team to follow, I think I've got Hollywood to thank for that. A while ago I watched the movie Invincible with Mark Wahlberg in it and ever since then I seemed to gravitate toward following the Eagles (plus when I was a kid I thought their logo looked cool) so I guess that's my team sorted.

I still struggle with a lot when it comes to the NFL, in particular how player transfers are conducted and I'm still trying to learn each position on the field and what their job is but hopefully this forum can help me out with that.
Welcome. You can find an Eagles avatar for yourself on the User CP horizontal navy bar near the top of this page.

We don't use the term 'transfers' in the NFL and it does not work in the same way as soccer does at all.

You can essentially sign a player in a number of ways, but the main point is that there is no system in the NFL of rich teams buying the best players from poor teams - you cannot acquire players from other teams by buying out their contracts, which is essentially what a soccer transfer fee amounts to.

- You can draft a player. The draft takes place each April with all the best prospects who are leaving college football. There are 7 rounds of the draft with around 250 picks in total. In each round, the team who finished the previous season with the worst record gets to pick a player first, and the team who won the Super Bowl picks last. You can trade picks with other teams (for players or for other picks) but you cannot buy picks per se*

- You can trade for a player. You do this by offering the team he currently plays for either draft picks for a future draft, or another player, or a combination. If you trade for a player, you are trading for his contract, which means you take on his contract on exactly the same terms and conditions.

- You can pick up a player off waivers. A team who no longer wants a player waives him with immediate effect. For the first few hours the player is on what they call the waiver wire. Teams can register their interest for the player to take him on on his existing contractual terms and conditions. If more than one team wants him, the worst team gets him. If nobody claims him, he hits free agency.

- You can sign a free agent. This is a player without a team. Here you just agree to a new contract on whatever terms you are able to negotiate. Certain league minimums acquire. The most common types of free agent are 'unrestricted' free agents, i.e. they can go wherever they like. There are other types of free agent too where they are free to speak to other teams but their existing team has the right to match an offer, but this is probably a bit complicated for now.

Underpinning all this, of course, is the salary cap. Each team has a maximum and minimum amount that they must spend on player salaries each year. 'Cap' calculations and 'cash' calculations are not always the same, as certain rules allow you to account differently for certain types of spending and defer a cap hit even though the cash hits the player's bank account well. All teams have the same cap allowances - this is not like financial fair play in soccer where rich teams are allowed to spend more than poor teams.

Overall, the system works well. You get a much wider range of potential winners. It is not the case where only teams in big cities can win, like we see here with Manchester and London. There is generally a trend in the NFL of teams getting to keep their best players and there is not a trend of the best teams taking the best players from the worst teams and then just leaving them on the bench. I guess one of the frustrations I always had with soccer is that there is more or less a pecking order of good teams and if a player on a lesser team is world class it doesn't mean that team will get good, it just means Real Madrid or Man United will buy him and pay him 5 times as much. In the NFL, this cannot happen. You also don't so much get what happens in baseball, where great players get drafted by poor teams, do well, and then run down their contracts and sign for the Yankees for more money as a free agent. The NFL franchise tag really helps give teams a chance keep their marquee players. Of course, it does not always work out.

* You can make the argument that the Browns kind of did buy a draft pick last year in a roundabout way but that's another conversation.
Old 14.10.2017, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Welcome to the forums!

Think Bob covered everything pretty comprehensively in the above post. If you need any more help/advice, we've got quite a knowledgeable bunch on here. Enjoy the season...
Old 14.10.2017, 12:41 PM
All Pro

Quote:

Welcome! An unfortunate choice of team but I guess someone has to it must be a pretty exciting time to be an Eagles fan right now, Wentz is the franchise QB you’ve been looking for and you’re running away with the division!

Great post Bob! It’s a shame there isn’t a ‘like’ button for posts like that.

Last edited by Blue Monty; 14.10.2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: It seems using iPhone emoji deletes everything after it!
Old 17.10.2017, 06:40 PM
Rookie

Hey all, hows it going?!

Im pretty new to the sport, got in to it at the back end of last season and have been pretty much hooked ever since Superbowl 51. Opted for the Jags as my team of choice due to the connection with the UK, looks like they will be an exciting team to follow in the coming years! I found the forums pretty helpful in the weeks leading up to the london game and had a blast at Wembley watching the Jags walk all over the Ravens, enjoy the rest of the season!