Packers news chat etc. - Page 101 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 02.11.2005, 10:31 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to wozzer
Default Re:Packers news chat etc.

Hawk would be a good pick up,he's having a good year for the Buckeyes and is the kind of tough tackling LB we need.

Hawk, Barnett & Thomas would be quite a solid LB unit
Sponsored Links
Old 02.11.2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

I feel our D is actually quite close – we’ve got some areas of weakness (the biggest of which is 3rd down IMO).

If we can get some more pass rush – more explosive DE and playmaking LB then I really think we can be a good unit next year.

What do you guys think?
Old 02.11.2005, 12:23 PM
All Pro

My only concern is Carroll & Thomas,next year they will be 3rd year veterans and can't afford to be making the kind of mistakes they are still making this year.Roman is a bit of a concern and doesn't really seem to make that many plays,but he at least doesn't make that many mistakes.

If we did get a bit more Pass rush then it would take pressure off the OLB's and maybe they could make a few more plays in the backfield.

Old 02.11.2005, 12:42 PM
Banned

[quote author=The Seven Blocks Of Granite link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=840#msg328927 date=1130934194]
My only concern is Carroll & Thomas,next year they will be 3rd year veterans and can't afford to be making the kind of mistakes they are still making this year.Roman is a bit of a concern and doesn't really seem to make that many plays,but he at least doesn't make that many mistakes.

If we did get a bit more Pass rush then it would take pressure off the OLB's and maybe they could make a few more plays in the backfield.

[/quote]

I think Carroll is a good example though. I think he's close. Yeah he's making mistakes, but he's also making plays. And don't forget he's still the youngest player on our roster. He'll get there, I have every faith.

If you look at our D this year, we have stopped the run, so often (like 1st half against the Bengals) we've just not been able to close it out on 3rd down.

More pass rush takes pressure off everyone, not just OLBs. I think the problem our DBs have is that we only seem to get pressure consistently when we blitz, so either they have to cover short handed, or they have to cover for longer. That leads to penalties and conversions.

Bates will get our D where it needs to be.
Old 02.11.2005, 12:46 PM
All Pro

[quote author=croxall link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=840#msg328939 date=1130935340]
[quote author=The Seven Blocks Of Granite link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=840#msg328927 date=1130934194]

[/quote]

I think Carroll is a good example though. I think he's close. Yeah he's making mistakes, but he's also making plays. And don't forget he's still the youngest player on our roster. He'll get there, I have every faith.

If you look at our D this year, we have stopped the run, so often (like 1st half against the Bengals) we've just not been able to close it out on 3rd down.

More pass rush takes pressure off everyone, not just OLBs. I think the problem our DBs have is that we only seem to get pressure consistently when we blitz, so either they have to cover short handed, or they have to cover for longer. That leads to penalties and conversions.

Bates will get our D where it needs to be.
[/quote]

There are just a few things that need tweaking in out D and it will be a great unit. I am sure Bates will use the off season, with FA and the Draft to pick up sone extra guys and then when the training rools around, we are gonna have a great D unit once more.
Old 02.11.2005, 02:08 PM
Pro Bowler

What do you think about the Pack's chances against the Steelers. Not a regular team match up - 1998 @ Pittsburg was last one! Steelers are on a bit of a roll, do you think the Pack can pull a surprise win?
Old 02.11.2005, 02:24 PM
All Pro

The Pack are still playing with heart,which always gives them a chance at Lambeau.
The D needs to play better on 3rd downs and cut out silly mistakes and pens that kept some of the Bengals drives going last week.Luckily i don't think we have any further major injury problems,Thomas banged his shoulder up a bit last week and he may be the only worry.
Stopping the Steelers Run early is a must.If we play with big hearts and mistake free football it will be close.

Old 02.11.2005, 02:27 PM
Pro Bowler

Lambeau may be a factor if the weather is bad, 1 - 7 would be hard to take. We should be nearer the top of the division, it is a bit much to see the Bears on top with 4 - 3!
Old 02.11.2005, 02:30 PM
Banned

I think it will be close.

The Steelers are always tough to beat because they run the ball so well and stop the run so well. Their secondary is (has been) the weaker part of their D.

I think we can do enough to stop them running the ball. If we can, as you say it will be close…
Old 02.11.2005, 03:04 PM
All Pro

[quote author=croxall link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=840#msg328992 date=1130941844]
I think it will be close.

The Steelers are always tough to beat because they run the ball so well and stop the run so well. Their secondary is (has been) the weaker part of their D.

I think we can do enough to stop them running the ball. If we can, as you say it will be close…
[/quote]

I don’t think we are going to win out over the Steelers. Even though Sherman is 6-0 against teams that have been in the Super Bowl the year before, they have such a good running game, and a Defence that, when it is playing well, can shut down any team any place.
I can see the Steelers trying their best for this one, because they are @ Lambeau against one of the most respected teams in the league.

I hope we try and do like we always do, because we are the Packers, and we never go down without a fight, and it is our house and we need it.

But there are limits to what you can do with such a depleted roster, and when you are fighting against a 1-6 record.

I see the Steelers winning out, but I see us playing the best game we have played so far.

Cause this game does mean something, but we can't fill the gaps in our team adequately to win such a hard game.