Packers news chat etc. - Page 11 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 12.03.2004, 10:44 PM
MVP

Send a message via MSN to Swervedriver
Default Re:Packers news chat etc.

Stake..how do you not think the Vikes are on the up..we have so obviously up graded on the major weak points on the team...14 months ago this team was 3-10(we won the last three of that season), so a 9-7 record is a huge improvement.
Sponsored Links
Old 13.03.2004, 10:04 PM
All Pro

The Vikings made strives forward last year, no doubt. My saying that Minnesota weren't on the up was purely based on the period after the 6 and 0 start and some dreadful football and dreadful results. Bad playcalling isn't really something you can point to for a reason why you'll be champs, or close to it, next year. Doesn't Tice call your plays? In our situation, Detroit and St. Louis being the most glaringly obvious example, bad playcalling cost us. Shoop is gone. Jauron is gone. We've got a guy who's been designing and calling defensive plays for champions for a decade now.
Winfield is a great acquisition, though. It will make that secondary a hell of a lot smaller for opposing QB's. But I don't believe it will be enough for Minnesota to propel them to that next level. I honestly don't. I think the Bears will catch them this year. I think come this time next year we may well be perceived as a better football team.
I could be wrong. 95% of people would probably tell me I am. If I am, I'll be back on here Swerve, offering a handshake and an apology.
Old 13.03.2004, 10:04 PM
All Pro

The Vikings made strives forward last year, no doubt. My saying that Minnesota weren't on the up was purely based on the period after the 6 and 0 start and some dreadful football and dreadful results. Bad playcalling isn't really something you can point to for a reason why you'll be champs, or close to it, next year. Doesn't Tice call your plays? In our situation, Detroit and St. Louis being the most glaringly obvious example, bad playcalling cost us. Shoop is gone. Jauron is gone. We've got a guy who's been designing and calling defensive plays for champions for a decade now.
Winfield is a great acquisition, though. It will make that secondary a hell of a lot smaller for opposing QB's. But I don't believe it will be enough for Minnesota to propel them to that next level. I honestly don't. I think the Bears will catch them this year. I think come this time next year we may well be perceived as a better football team.
I could be wrong. 95% of people would probably tell me I am. If I am, I'll be back on here Swerve, offering a handshake and an apology.
Old 13.03.2004, 10:32 PM
Starter

[quote author=libertine link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=45#msg46279 date=1079128120]
[quote author=Stake link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=45#msg46276 date=1079127837]
I made a guarantee here about a month ago. Chicago will win the NFC north next year. I stand by that.
[/quote]

mmmm not too sure about that one, considering the strength of the other teams in the nfc north it's gonna be tricky. if i had to put money on anyone it would be the vikes and at an outside bet the lions although i think the lions and bears may need a couple more years to challenge.
[/quote]

i don't know how anyone could realistically compare the Bears with the Lions, The lions are a shambles they have no offence and very little defence, alright they have a lot of cap room available and it'll be interesting to see what they do with it but the Bears are in a far more progressive stage and could easily challenge for the division next year, Having said all that the Pack will continue to rule the NFC north!!
Old 13.03.2004, 10:32 PM
Starter

[quote author=libertine link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=45#msg46279 date=1079128120]
[quote author=Stake link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=45#msg46276 date=1079127837]
I made a guarantee here about a month ago. Chicago will win the NFC north next year. I stand by that.
[/quote]

mmmm not too sure about that one, considering the strength of the other teams in the nfc north it's gonna be tricky. if i had to put money on anyone it would be the vikes and at an outside bet the lions although i think the lions and bears may need a couple more years to challenge.
[/quote]

i don't know how anyone could realistically compare the Bears with the Lions, The lions are a shambles they have no offence and very little defence, alright they have a lot of cap room available and it'll be interesting to see what they do with it but the Bears are in a far more progressive stage and could easily challenge for the division next year, Having said all that the Pack will continue to rule the NFC north!!
Old 13.03.2004, 10:48 PM
MVP

[quote author=Stake link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=45#msg46514 date=1079215492]
[/quote]

well I genuinely think the Bears will improve but talent wise they have a long way to go compared to Minnesota and Green Bay...but yeah we will see what will happen....just one thing to remember, the Vikings would have reached 10-6 and the NFC North title had Denard 'He is outta here' Walker had have done his job and stopped a once in a lifetime play on 4th and 25..and therefore the Vikes would have been considered to have reach the next level.

In reality,whether we had have gone 10-6 or 9-7 makes no difference.The squad without a doubt has improved a hell of a lot compared to last season.We have just improved the leagues number one defense on two fronts,we have a genuine threat to help Moss at WR in Robinson,and we have a healthy Bennett ,a true game breaking RB...and defensively we have and will improve, there is no doubt about it. So it can be easily be seen that our 9-7 season of last year can be imrpoved by 2 games to 11-5.

The bears really have to improve big time to get to that level..the pack are basically there,so realistically,the Bears can get to a winning record (9-7?)...Green Bay and Minnesota should be hovering around 11-5 or 12-4. The Lions have some way to go though.
Old 13.03.2004, 10:48 PM
MVP

[quote author=Stake link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=45#msg46514 date=1079215492]
[/quote]

well I genuinely think the Bears will improve but talent wise they have a long way to go compared to Minnesota and Green Bay...but yeah we will see what will happen....just one thing to remember, the Vikings would have reached 10-6 and the NFC North title had Denard 'He is outta here' Walker had have done his job and stopped a once in a lifetime play on 4th and 25..and therefore the Vikes would have been considered to have reach the next level.

In reality,whether we had have gone 10-6 or 9-7 makes no difference.The squad without a doubt has improved a hell of a lot compared to last season.We have just improved the leagues number one defense on two fronts,we have a genuine threat to help Moss at WR in Robinson,and we have a healthy Bennett ,a true game breaking RB...and defensively we have and will improve, there is no doubt about it. So it can be easily be seen that our 9-7 season of last year can be imrpoved by 2 games to 11-5.

The bears really have to improve big time to get to that level..the pack are basically there,so realistically,the Bears can get to a winning record (9-7?)...Green Bay and Minnesota should be hovering around 11-5 or 12-4. The Lions have some way to go though.
Old 13.03.2004, 10:55 PM
All Pro

I'd consider 9-7 a solid, if unspectacular first season for Lovie. It would be very acceptable though. Especially if one of those nine wins were against Green Bay.

You're predicting one hell of a strong NFC North division next year. If The Vikes and The Pack regsiter 12-4 or even 11-5, we can forget about it. 10-6 would probably be the limits of what we can achieve next year.

But, there is a lot of time before September. And from there, there's a lot of football before January. Injuries, the draft and goodness knows what else will play their part. I recognise that at this stage of the year I'm a very foolish man to be tossing guarantees around! But, what the hell! I wanna be an optimist for once
Old 13.03.2004, 10:55 PM
All Pro

I'd consider 9-7 a solid, if unspectacular first season for Lovie. It would be very acceptable though. Especially if one of those nine wins were against Green Bay.

You're predicting one hell of a strong NFC North division next year. If The Vikes and The Pack regsiter 12-4 or even 11-5, we can forget about it. 10-6 would probably be the limits of what we can achieve next year.

But, there is a lot of time before September. And from there, there's a lot of football before January. Injuries, the draft and goodness knows what else will play their part. I recognise that at this stage of the year I'm a very foolish man to be tossing guarantees around! But, what the hell! I wanna be an optimist for once
Old 13.03.2004, 11:00 PM
MVP

[quote author=Stake link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=45#msg46527 date=1079218511]

[/quote]

so are you saying that you dont expect the Bears to win the division then??? ;D

When i say this about the Vikes, I am trying to be as objective as possible. If all goes according to plan (ie.we have the draft we need and those picks play well,and we dont have injuries like Bennett had last year), this Viking team over all will be fairly close in talent to the 15-1 Vikings...the OL isnt quite there compared to that team, but i still consider it to be one of the best in the league.