New To College Football - Page 11 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 15.10.2011, 05:04 PM
VABrit's Avatar
VABrit VABrit is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 18.10.2008
Posts: 3,016
Default

And from the NFL rulebook :


"The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over."
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #102  
Old 15.10.2011, 09:46 PM
Csonka#39's Avatar
Csonka#39 Csonka#39 is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 06.10.2006
Posts: 21,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABrit View Post
And from the NFL rulebook :


"The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over."
Thank you for taking the time to look that up and clarify things for me VA

Much obliged to you
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 09.11.2011, 11:36 PM
njwheelbarrow's Avatar
njwheelbarrow njwheelbarrow is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 16.01.2010
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flytoheaven View Post
Wow , fantastic
It took almost a year but finally someone commented on my joke! Gawd bless you sir
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 10.11.2011, 01:17 PM
Bretts's Avatar
Bretts Bretts is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 02.09.2008
Posts: 5,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njwheelbarrow View Post
It took almost a year but finally someone commented on my joke! Gawd bless you sir
Dont get too excited. This Flytoheaven fellow had his first 11 posts yesterday and I done think any contained more than 2 word sentances.

Think he just picked yours at random. Nice joke though


Expect his spammimg raid soon
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 27.11.2011, 04:40 PM
ArtMonk81's Avatar
ArtMonk81 ArtMonk81 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 30.03.2006
Posts: 85
Default

Its funny, Ive been watching NFL fanatically since 1986, and NEVER been interested in college in the slightest. To be fair, Ive never really tried to watch a game, but I really find the whole system archaic, and the fact that by its very nature, no team will keep any players for longer than 4 years, makes me disinterested.
Also, when ive caught a few moments of coverage, I find the studio teams third rate in comparison to those that analyse NFL games, I find everything about the entire set up a massive switch off.
Not meant to be a trolling comment this or a critisism of what you guys clearly love, I just dont get it.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 28.11.2011, 09:38 AM
comrade's Avatar
comrade comrade is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 20.10.2010
Posts: 710
Default

I really find the whole system archaic, and the fact that by its very nature, no team will keep any players for longer than 4 years

Re the 'archaic' thing, I can think of at least ten rivalries in college football that matter more to their fans than any rivalry in the NFL, and no 10-6 team is ever going to have a chance of winning it all. The regular season really matters.

More importantly, college football players tend to eat, live and breathe for their team. Many of the best players play for the team that they grew up supporting. They only have 4 years to make their mark, so it really matters to them.

Far better than forcing players to move to a place that they have no connections with, and no love for, just for the sake of balance. Then worse, expecting them to show some sort of loyalty.

Just so you know, here is a list of college teams that have larger capacity stadia than the Giants' and Jets' MetLife stadium, which is the biggest in the NFL...

Michigan Wolverines
Penn State Nittany Lions
Tennessee Volunteers
Ohio State Buckeyes
Alabama Crimson Tide
Texas Longhorns
UCLA Bruins
USC Trojans
Georgia Bulldogs
LSU Tigers
Florida Gators
Auburn Tigers
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Texas A&M Aggies

That's 14 teams and, with the exception of UCLA, they're tend to be at least 90% full for all but their 'cupcake' game. The top six get 100,000+ for most games. Assuming all goes OK, Nebraska will have sold out every single home game for 50 years next year.

I used to think that college football was a sideshow. Now, for me, it's the main event.

Last edited by comrade; 28.11.2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Can't spell 'breathe'
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 28.11.2011, 10:23 AM
filek's Avatar
filek filek is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 15.08.2010
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonk81 View Post
Its funny, Ive been watching NFL fanatically since 1986, and NEVER been interested in college in the slightest. To be fair, Ive never really tried to watch a game, but I really find the whole system archaic, and the fact that by its very nature, no team will keep any players for longer than 4 years, makes me disinterested.
Also, when ive caught a few moments of coverage, I find the studio teams third rate in comparison to those that analyse NFL games, I find everything about the entire set up a massive switch off.
Not meant to be a trolling comment this or a critisism of what you guys clearly love, I just dont get it.
the fact that any NFL may move to another city any time, throwing all of its tradition and legacy out of the window to make money elsewhere makes me disinterested.

and i dont get the comment about studio teams being third rate. Really? College Gameday is one of the most storied and important programmes in the history of American sports TV.

covering College FB you've got legendary announcers (Musberger, Lundquist, Patrick etc), coaches (Corso, Holtz, Bellotti, recently Meyer etc) ,accomplished players (James,Millen, Danielson etc) and up and coming TV stars (Davis, Tessitore, Johnson etc). So I dont know what your point was
don't tell me you wanted Michael Irvin ?
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 28.11.2011, 05:39 PM
ArtMonk81's Avatar
ArtMonk81 ArtMonk81 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 30.03.2006
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filek View Post
the fact that any NFL may move to another city any time, throwing all of its tradition and legacy out of the window to make money elsewhere makes me disinterested.

and i dont get the comment about studio teams being third rate. Really? College Gameday is one of the most storied and important programmes in the history of American sports TV.

covering College FB you've got legendary announcers (Musberger, Lundquist, Patrick etc), coaches (Corso, Holtz, Bellotti, recently Meyer etc) ,accomplished players (James,Millen, Danielson etc) and up and coming TV stars (Davis, Tessitore, Johnson etc). So I dont know what your point was
don't tell me you wanted Michael Irvin ?
Well as I dont watch College, I didnt know any of that, or the previous contributors' facts either. The point is, I dont give a damn about it, which is a good job because I have a life to get on with.

I assume youre talking about Vern Lundquist and Matt Millen, I dont know why youve bizarrely missed out their first names. The rest Ive never heard of, but I'll betcha theyd all rather be covering NFL than College.

I wasnt trying to be insulting in my original post, but youve both taken it so personally, which is weird, get a grip. In about 20 years of buying First Down every week, I always glanced to see if Syracuse were in the Top 20, but aside from that, the 2 page college spread went unread every week.

Pardon my ignorance, but dont the top teams get to choose who they play each season???

Last edited by ArtMonk81; 28.11.2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 28.11.2011, 05:49 PM
HolyRoller10's Avatar
HolyRoller10 HolyRoller10 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 26.10.2008
Posts: 13,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post
I really find the whole system archaic, and the fact that by its very nature, no team will keep any players for longer than 4 years

Re the 'archaic' thing, I can think of at least ten rivalries in college football that matter more to their fans than any rivalry in the NFL, and no 10-6 team is ever going to have a chance of winning it all. The regular season really matters.

More importantly, college football players tend to eat, live and breathe for their team. Many of the best players play for the team that they grew up supporting. They only have 4 years to make their mark, so it really matters to them.

Far better than forcing players to move to a place that they have no connections with, and no love for, just for the sake of balance. Then worse, expecting them to show some sort of loyalty.

Just so you know, here is a list of college teams that have larger capacity stadia than the Giants' and Jets' MetLife stadium, which is the biggest in the NFL...

Michigan Wolverines
Penn State Nittany Lions
Tennessee Volunteers
Ohio State Buckeyes
Alabama Crimson Tide
Texas Longhorns
UCLA Bruins
USC Trojans
Georgia Bulldogs
LSU Tigers
Florida Gators
Auburn Tigers
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Texas A&M Aggies

That's 14 teams and, with the exception of UCLA, they're tend to be at least 90% full for all but their 'cupcake' game. The top six get 100,000+ for most games. Assuming all goes OK, Nebraska will have sold out every single home game for 50 years next year.

I used to think that college football was a sideshow. Now, for me, it's the main event.
And Michigan has had 250+ games with 100K+ attendance. The last game under 100K was in 1975.

Can someone please name me a Pro franchise in any other sport that has gone 35+ years of straight over 100,000 attendance for each game? (NFL, baseball, NBA, soccer, cricket, that sport where they run around an oval field, bull-fighting, hot-dog eating) where this has been surpassed or also occurred?
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 28.11.2011, 06:39 PM
9erfan's Avatar
9erfan 9erfan is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 09.08.2010
Posts: 5,157
Default

I personally love the NFL over college but I watch every college game I can.I have followed the Longhorns since 1972.My mom took a picture of me in a Longhorn t-shirt back then and I still have it.

Speaking of college here is an awesome catch by a receiver for Marshall.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...=ncaaf-wp10597
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 07:46 PM.