New To College Football - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Sponsored Links

Old 11.12.2010, 04:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by njwheelbarrow View Post
Indeed, the "arguments" for USC/UCF are becoming more and more convincing.

So far my two criteria for picking a team are:

1) Not a West Coast team (The Niners cover that base for me).

2) A team that are not at the top of their game. I jumped on the Niners bandwagon when they were at the top of their game, which was awesome because I got to enjoy a couple of Superbowl victories with them, but I think I'd enjoy watching a team fght for a few years now.

Other than that, think I'll check out the history of college football and watch a few games to see who catches my eye. At the moment I am drawn to one of the Oregon teams which a) Doesn't fit my first criteria, and b) is only because the one and only college game I've seen to date was Oregon vs...Oregon State. No rush, I'll see who jumps out at me.

Thanks for the response ianUK. Really digging everyone's input to this thread.
If you don't want a West coast team and don't want a team which is at the top of their game take a look at The U (Miami). They certainly fit the criteria. Or Michigan. Florida could count as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 11.12.2010, 04:48 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
There's a hell of a lot to know! I'll give it a go, get things started and then people can add to it as they see fit...

*explanation*
Wow, awesome explanation, just what I was looking for too! Thank you

And just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better, the two "convincing arguments" cropped up. Terrific.

I too am looking for a college team and as another Californian-NFL team fan I'd love to hear suggestions about what team to support. I don't just mean more "convincing" haha, but some serious stuff too.
Old 11.12.2010, 07:52 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.J.S View Post
Wow, awesome explanation, just what I was looking for too! Thank you

And just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better, the two "convincing arguments" cropped up. Terrific.

I too am looking for a college team and as another Californian-NFL team fan I'd love to hear suggestions about what team to support. I don't just mean more "convincing" haha, but some serious stuff too.
If you are looking to stay in California for your college team then the big ones are: USC, UCLA, Stanford and California. USC and UCLA both play in LA (well near enough LA in terms of UCLA) so would be closest for San Diego.

The other Cal teams are: San Jose State, Fresno State and San Diego State (who share qualcomm with the chargers). They all play in smaller conferences tho and the chances of seeing them on tv over here are very slim.

If you are looking for elsewhere then if u just say what places you like and i'm sure me or someone else can give u some info on teams from that area.

or you could just watch a few games and see if anything catches your eye. Be it cheerleaders, the teams style or the traditions they have.
Old 11.12.2010, 07:55 PM
All Pro

I need a team :/, i like auburn but im not too sure i would like an east coast team and somewhere around indiana, but tbh im not bothered.
Old 11.12.2010, 08:14 PM
All Pro

In Indiana you would have: Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue and Ball State.

Notre Dame are one of the biggest supported teams in the US and i'm sure you'll get a few folk try and make u support them here. They are nearer to Chicago tho so would be more of a trek from Indianapolis if you were wanting to see both teams play the same weekend.

Indiana are more of a basketball school but are in one of the top conferences (Big Ten).

Purdue are in the same conference but have a better football team. Drew Brees went to Purdue.

I don't follow the Big Ten that much (outside of the top teams for rankings purposes) so someone else could give you more info on them teams.

Ball State are part of the MAC. Therefore they don't get as much coverage over here but i do seem to end up watching quite a bit of the MAC on ESPN Player. Mainly since they do quite a few tuesday and wednesday games later in the season. Ball State went 4-8 this year after 2-10 last year. 2 years ago tho they went to the conference championship game with a record of 12-0 but lost to buffalo and then lost their bowl as well to end the season on a bit of a downer.

Cincinnati would also be quite close, and with Ohio and Michigan next to Indiana you would have all the Ohio (8 teams including Ohio State being the main one) and Michigan (5 teams with Michigan and Michigan State being the major teams) teams to choose from too if you are looking for somewhere close.

Last edited by EamonH; 11.12.2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11.12.2010, 08:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EamonH View Post
In Indiana you would have: Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue and Ball State.

Notre Dame are one of the biggest supported teams in the US and i'm sure you'll get a few folk try and make u support them here. They are nearer to Chicago tho so would be more of a trek from Indianapolis if you were wanting to see both teams play the same weekend.

Indiana are more of a basketball school but are in one of the top conferences (Big Ten).

Purdue are in the same conference but have a better football team. Drew Brees went to Purdue.

I don't follow the Big Ten that much (outside of the top teams for rankings purposes) so someone else could give you more info on them teams.

Ball State are part of the MAC. Therefore they don't get as much coverage over here but i do seem to end up watching quite a bit of the MAC on ESPN Player. Mainly since they do quite a few tuesday and wednesday games later in the season. Ball State went 4-8 this year after 2-10 last year. 2 years ago tho they went to the conference championship game with a record of 12-0 but lost to buffalo and then lost their bowl as well to end the season on a bit of a downer.

Cincinnati would also be quite close, and with Ohio and Michigan next to Indiana you would have all the Ohio (8 teams including Ohio State being the main one) and Michigan (5 teams with Michigan and Michigan State being the major teams) teams to choose from too if you are looking for somewhere close.
cool thanks for writing all of that dude i think i may choose between the buckeyes and wolverines
Old 11.12.2010, 08:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil93 View Post
cool thanks for writing all of that dude i think i may choose between the buckeyes and wolverines
wolverines! ohio state are evil. and it sounds so much cooler to declare yourself a wolverine than a buckeye.
Old 11.12.2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Indiana, Purdue and Ball State...a fate worse than death. Purdue is the best dog of that bunch.

I tell everyone on these threads that you should really pick a Top 30 program if you want to have any real access to your team and to keep an interest from afar. Basically, it would behoove people new to college football to start out with a team that is continually ranked in the top 25; it will just add so much more to the experience and aids in learning the system and debates.
Old 11.12.2010, 08:25 PM
All Pro

Im choosing ohio state
Old 11.12.2010, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil93 View Post
Im choosing ohio state
Good choice. Largest living Alumni in America, biggest freakin' school on the planet, all the big games televised, part of arguably the best rivalry and always in the Top 10. You'll have fun. But it's not all Roses.

Every SEC fan thinks your conference sucks and your team is slow and overrated. Big test in the Sugar against Arkansas. Ohio State is 0-9 against the SEC.