Ranking Draft Needs - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Baltimore Ravens

Sponsored Links

Old 26.01.2011, 08:00 AM
Pro Bowler

Default Ranking Draft Needs

Now i know its very early days yet and depending on alot of factors like who we re-sign and if Mason Retires, I was wondering what your thoughts were on Draft priority. I know some of us have discussed it on other threads but we have not actually put a list and reasons of what position we should look at. Here is mine for the Time being ( likely to change!)

1. DE. There is some real tallent at DE this year, Suggs and Ngata would be even more dangerous with a strong young Pass rusher coming off the other side. Meaning alot more pressure, Meaning our CB's would significantly improve. Plus I feel Kruger and Redding are definately not the answer. Picking up a Pass rushing DE in the first would help our D all over the Field.

2. OLB. This is obviously a big IF. IF Kindle is back and healthy then this is not so much of an issue, If not we need to look at a replacement, There is a reason we drafted him last year.

3. OL. Centre would be my first thought on the Oline, But yet again it all depends on Gaither. There is some real talent in every Oline possition this year and i say we take the best available with our third pick.

4. MLB. Its obvious that Ray is getting to the end of his career and we need to get a decent young guy to eventually take over. The problem is there isnt much depth at MLB this year and i dont want us to just take another guy that is OK. So even though i put it at four if there is no one that sticks out i say we wait another year and get an Elite LB next year.

5. CB/WR. I know some will be shocked that CB and WR are not top of my list of needs. This is why...... Webb and Foxworth are still under Contract and i think we will re-sign Wilson or Carr (Hopefully Wilson) we also have Williams, We only need one more Corner for Special teams and to add a bit of depth. And there is alot of good corners in this years Draft.
As for WR we have Boldin and Reed, I think Mason will stay another year and we may even re-sign Stallworth or Housh. I feel the problem on Offence was not using our WR strengths, Mason is one of the best Route Runners in the game! We need to re-write the playbook to our strengths and not just how Cam wants to call it. But i also think another young WR to bring on would be a good pick at five.

Thats what i think anyway, I have appsolute confidence in Ozzie and our organisation and i know what ever they decide will work. I also belive that even though i think these are our needs i would still be quite happy Drafting someone like Brandon Harris or Jonathan Baldwin in the first!
Sponsored Links
Old 26.01.2011, 09:46 AM
Pro Bowler

I think Birk is good for another season if he doesn't retire. It'd be nice to get a guy to sit behind him and potentially play guard for a season if the tackle situation doesn't get resolved and they keep Yanda and play him at RT. I think we need a real LT bad. Love Oher, but his attitude and physique seem much more suited to the right side.

For MLB, I really hope Ellerbe gets his act together. He's too decent a talent to be chucking it away with bonehead plays and indiscipline. I'd be surprised if Gooden makes the cut next season.

CB depends on what we do with Wilson/Carr. If we sign one it leaves us with one gap in the depth chart to fill and to my mind it doesn't have to be a top tier guy either. Foxy is a quality starter, not shutdown, but he plays well. If we kept Wilson he'd be good opposite which would be all we'd need if we improve the passrush. You don't need an elite corner if you have a better passrush.

I don't think Housh or Stallworth stick. Certainly no on Housh if Mason stays on. That's three guys, we'd need two more really. Draft a speed guy in the mid rounds and try to bring him along, then see what vets are out there.
Old 26.01.2011, 10:48 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeVanCleef View Post
I think Birk is good for another season if he doesn't retire. It'd be nice to get a guy to sit behind him and potentially play guard for a season if the tackle situation doesn't get resolved and they keep Yanda and play him at RT. I think we need a real LT bad. Love Oher, but his attitude and physique seem much more suited to the right side.

For MLB, I really hope Ellerbe gets his act together. He's too decent a talent to be chucking it away with bonehead plays and indiscipline. I'd be surprised if Gooden makes the cut next season.

CB depends on what we do with Wilson/Carr. If we sign one it leaves us with one gap in the depth chart to fill and to my mind it doesn't have to be a top tier guy either. Foxy is a quality starter, not shutdown, but he plays well. If we kept Wilson he'd be good opposite which would be all we'd need if we improve the passrush. You don't need an elite corner if you have a better passrush.

I don't think Housh or Stallworth stick. Certainly no on Housh if Mason stays on. That's three guys, we'd need two more really. Draft a speed guy in the mid rounds and try to bring him along, then see what vets are out there.

The problem i have with Birk is if you watch the game film he has no push of the snap, If you watch him a few years ago he was a monster of the mark and used to push DT's around all game long, This year he struggled to stop them coming up the middle. If he is still there next season i think we will be in real trouble, Id love to Draft a quality LT and put Oher back on the Right side. Yanda is a quality guard and thats were he should be.
Old 26.01.2011, 10:54 AM
Starter

Do you think because we have such narrow and specific needs this offseason (sort out the O-line) Ozzie & his scouting team will abandon their usual mantra of "take the next best player available regardless of position"?
If they don't, we might well end up with another couple of tight ends trying to block for Ray.

If they do I would rank it as: a decent OT, a centre in case Matt Birk retires and a pass-rush linebacker to replace Kindle. I think a lot of focus has gone on WR, but Reed and a re-sign of Stallworth could solve the "no deep threats" argument. As for corners, I think the problem was a lack of pass rush meant opposition WRs had all day to lose Carr and Webb and Wilson who will be supported by a returning Foxworth next year. Personally I think the Ravens will draft at the WR and CB position but not until round 4 or 5 onwards. There is a lot of buzz about defensive line prospects this year and a real need for a QB for some teams which could leave some really good offensive line guys hanging around by the time the Ravens get a pick.
Old 26.01.2011, 06:31 PM
Starter

I think you got it spot on. OLB and DE go hand in hand. Another big DE would free Suggs and the possible rushing OLB to attack the QB.

Center isn't a problem this year unless Birk retires which I don't see happening. An eventual replacement for Lewis and Reed would be nice if available somewhere but I think those will need to be first round choices to get that sort of quality and there are other ways to spend those picks this draft.

For receiver we already have Mason to catch the important balls, Reed will stretch the field with his speed and Boldin can attack the middle. With the TE's available, I don't class receiver as being a problem at all
Old 27.01.2011, 09:23 AM
Pro Bowler

I disagree, Birk is done. Like i said in my previous post if you watched him this season he really struggled to do his job. If we dont address the Centre position this year we are in trouble. I really dont want to see him there next season.
Old 01.02.2011, 12:41 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishbull24 View Post
I disagree, Birk is done. Like i said in my previous post if you watched him this season he really struggled to do his job. If we dont address the Centre position this year we are in trouble. I really dont want to see him there next season.
I think he started well but after the knee injury lost some of his power. It also doesn't help having Chester next to him.
Old 03.02.2011, 01:49 PM
Pro

If Cameron changes his playbook then a WR isn't our priority he sends slow coaches compared to alot of the corners in this league on streaks etc. Mason is a great route runner and boldin has always been a possession receiver.

I think Titus Young is a must for the Ravens could well be Deshawn jackson or Harvin V2 he will help the ravens in numerous ways.

Round 2 i hope we take Sam acho alot depends on Kindle but acho i have seen him for texas can play either side well and play with his hands down much like kindle could. DE/OLB. Kruger and redding are solid and dependable. If not take the best player available.

Round 3 Oline/if they take an oline in the 2nd round grab casey Matthews the Matthews family are studs i see zero reason why he wont be good.
Old 03.02.2011, 08:59 PM
All Pro

I'd say DE is our biggest need, after that centre, and after that tackle, after that it's FB if we release McClain. Luckily there are plenty of centres and fullbacks in this year's draft.
Old 04.02.2011, 06:21 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacino_1992 View Post
If Cameron changes his playbook then a WR isn't our priority he sends slow coaches compared to alot of the corners in this league on streaks etc. Mason is a great route runner and boldin has always been a possession receiver.

I think Titus Young is a must for the Ravens could well be Deshawn jackson or Harvin V2 he will help the ravens in numerous ways.

Round 2 i hope we take Sam acho alot depends on Kindle but acho i have seen him for texas can play either side well and play with his hands down much like kindle could. DE/OLB. Kruger and redding are solid and dependable. If not take the best player available.

Round 3 Oline/if they take an oline in the 2nd round grab casey Matthews the Matthews family are studs i see zero reason why he wont be good.
I love Titus Young, He really aint got a down side, And because there are some very good WR's this year i think he will get pushed down the draft. But WR is not an issue, and id rather we draft a need rather then a want. But i wouldnt be dissapointed to see him in purple!

There is alot of debate on whether Redding and Kruger can get the job done, Personally i say no. I think Kruger is a bust, But everyone has an opinion. We need to draft a DE, Acho is good, but there is alot of depth this year and i say we take the best available.

Like iv said C is of great importance, O'Dowd would be a good pick for us.