Thoughts on this season...and where next... - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 04.01.2013, 10:19 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_E_V_ View Post
I'm not comparing Romo to them. I'm pointing out that, that's how other people do it. They want to go to the playoffs and clamor for an elite QB who can take them there, like that's all it takes.

I heard a stat yesterday that said that in every game of the season, Dallas were trailing the game... Only Oakland and KC had a worse % when it comes to being behind in a game.

Is Romo elite? No. But, he is very good.

For all the people wanting Romo out, how would it be done? You get rid of Romo and then what?

It's not as easy as it sounds to get a good QB.
I agree that there is, in fact, no point in ridding the team of romo this offseason. There aren't any qbs screaming out to be taken, unless they fall to a sensible position, in the draft; and there won't be anybody better than romo cropping up in free agency.

I don't think too many are as naive as to think that an elite qb is all that it takes. if you have one though, you can carry a team some distance further than you can by having an elite player in any other position. I think its equally naive to think that putting in a stronger O line is suddenly going to allow romo to do a great deal more. the majority of his mistakes that he is criticized for are made when hes not under pressure at all. romo is a good qb, yes, but hes not a consistent clutch quarterback - and that is what is costing the cowboys just as dearly as the terrible offensive line. unfortunately nothing can be done about it for at least a year.
Sponsored Links
Old 04.01.2013, 06:19 PM
Pro

This season was heartbreaking as seems to be the case every season these days, especially after showing so much promise in the season opener.

I felt bad for Romo and Witten who had arguably the best seasons of their careers and still didn't make the play-offs.

Prior to this season I thought if Romo doesn't get it done this year he has to go but I changed my mind a few weeks ago, With next to no O-Line or running game he was incredible (other than the VS. the Bears and obviously the final game VS. the Skins).

I think he (Romo) definitely deserves to show what he can do next season with a good Offensive line, a line that would also help the running game. However they should look at bringing a future starting QB prospect next season and have him learning the game as a back up. Tony wont be around forever.

Did you know we haven't had one season with a back running for over 1000 yards since 2006 (Julius Jones) the line has a lot to do with it for sure.

They need to concentrate mainly on improving the shocking Offensive Line and the horrible Defensive line.

I'm afraid Rex Ryans coaching has to be questioned too. How they didn't find a way to stop the run VS. The Redskins who ran the same predictable play 80% of the game was a joke and how can a 50% RGIII with a gammy leg "run" for a touchdown without getting touch. That game was sooo frustrating.

He also had 9 players on the field for one play against the Saints!! come on man, I haven't ever seen that, 10 sure but 9??? what the heck.

Miles Austin has to go too, dude is always injured. He had one great season got his big contract and hasn't been a factor since and he doesn't seem to have much heart when he plays.

Other players who shined this season for me were Dez Bryant, he was a beast playing with multiple injuries and became arguably a top 5 WR in the NFL.

Dwayne Harris, he is a nice 3rd Receiver, not the fastest guy but a tough competitor did fairly well on Special teams,

Brandon Carr was ballin too much needed. Mo looks like he will come good and Carter can obviously play.

well that was a bit of a rant, sorry if its all over the place and doesn't make for easy reading. LOL

Last edited by MrWaters; 05.01.2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05.01.2013, 08:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflcowboys View Post
Offensive line needs sorting out.

Then we ll have a running game, then Romo wont have to throw every down!!

We have much more pressing needs than Romo.
Couldn't agree more, Romo isn't the problem but relying on him to try to make plays due to poor O line and lack of run game is.

He needs a decent line to give him more protection (how effective has Eli been when no-one gets to touch him, he's no greater player than Romo but has better protection) and he does need to run a bit more. The skins game saw an easy first down if he ran, he didn't and threw an incompletion and then we punted. I'm not suggesting he try to be like Vick or RG3 but he could do a bit more.

Get a decent o line to block and create holes for Murray and we will be fine.
Old 06.01.2013, 05:17 PM

My take on the season was near yet so far. They finally showed some fighting spirit and heart, which I don't think they've had for many a year. With all the blows taken I'm not even sure Parcells would have got them to 8-8 (even though in the end that was a disappointment) so that has to be credit to Garrett.

At QB, Romo is more of the answer than the problem. We don't win more than five games without him. As poor as the O-line had tendencies to be, without his ability to move around, he gets hit a lot more and maybe injured. Then where would we be? The time is now though to start scouting for the next one. This year's draft class isn't great but we shouldn't be looking high up. Next year may be more interesting however. Be interesting to see how his re-negotiations go.

RB is an issue. Murray is good, isn't always helped by his line and FB, but there needs to be more. Felix is gone. They clearly have issues over Tanner such was how scarcely he was used, so I would expect Dunbar to remain on a one year deal to fight for the 2/3 spot. We need one lower down -4th round and lower. Lets be honest it'll need to be someone who can play. Murray doesn't stay healthy and we need to accept that.

FB is perhaps something that may change. Vickers was too hit and miss and with John Philips an UFA, we may need to look at this.

WR is a concern behind Dez. Austin is too injury prone and too high a salary now. But I don't think he'll be leaving. Dwayne Harris has done enough now that the era of Ogletree will be over. Beasley I like and hope he gets a shot. Don't forget Danny Coale who is talented and I think they'll give him every chance to step up.

O-line needs a lot of consideration, but I don't have it as our top priority. We're just one year removed from a major overhaul and investment. Costa is their guy at Centre, Tyron on the left. I think they need a LG as Livings was poor. Bernadeau had his moments but I think he returns. At RT, Free improved when Parnell started rotating with him but that's not saying much. I don't think unless someone in particular becomes available he'll be out but definitely a pick (or maybe even two) in the first four look possible.

Biggest concern for me is D-line. They're old, if you take out Lissemore and Crawford. Brent is finished sadly. Hatcher is in the prime. But the rest are knackered. This must be the top priority. No pass rush and little against the run. Imagine how good Ware, Lee, Carter would be behind a stout line.

Line backer is set for a long time. Like what Sims and Albright brought us when they needed to. Spencer gets the franchise tag again, because the money is simply too prohibitive to give him a long term deal at the minute.

Secondary is interesting. Carr and Mo are set for a while and both performed well in the main. Sensabaugh is fine. But will Barry Church come back ok? Will the invisible man Matt Johnson get the chance to step up? I think if there's someone out there at FS available we need to have a strong look at them. With Jenkins going we'll need a bit of help at DB, though I liked Sterling Moore and think he could stick around.

Coaching wise, I think Garrett is a decent HC. I still have questions over the game management and play-calling. But do wonder if an OC causes yet another 'controversy' we don't really need. Rob Ryan did ok with what he had to deal with and I think is worth another year.
Old 06.01.2013, 11:39 PM
All Pro

TBH, I'm ok with the season... Disappointed obviously that we couldn't make the post season but in all I have to say I've been entertained because most of our games have been so close and you simply didn't know what was going to happen next.

We lost so many games that we were in position to win, and with the OL we had this season we had no right to be even close.

If we can draft a OL and a DE/DT and pick up another OL in free agency and pick up a RB in the 4th round of the draft to replace Felix Jones, then I think we will be competitive next season... Next year Bryant should put up huge numbers and with Lee and Carter coming back, we should be ok. I hope.
Old 07.01.2013, 11:16 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarloPaul View Post
My take on the season was near yet so far. They finally showed some fighting spirit and heart, which I don't think they've had for many a year. With all the blows taken I'm not even sure Parcells would have got them to 8-8 (even though in the end that was a disappointment) so that has to be credit to Garrett.

At QB, Romo is more of the answer than the problem. We don't win more than five games without him. As poor as the O-line had tendencies to be, without his ability to move around, he gets hit a lot more and maybe injured. Then where would we be? The time is now though to start scouting for the next one. This year's draft class isn't great but we shouldn't be looking high up. Next year may be more interesting however. Be interesting to see how his re-negotiations go.

RB is an issue. Murray is good, isn't always helped by his line and FB, but there needs to be more. Felix is gone. They clearly have issues over Tanner such was how scarcely he was used, so I would expect Dunbar to remain on a one year deal to fight for the 2/3 spot. We need one lower down -4th round and lower. Lets be honest it'll need to be someone who can play. Murray doesn't stay healthy and we need to accept that.

FB is perhaps something that may change. Vickers was too hit and miss and with John Philips an UFA, we may need to look at this.

WR is a concern behind Dez. Austin is too injury prone and too high a salary now. But I don't think he'll be leaving. Dwayne Harris has done enough now that the era of Ogletree will be over. Beasley I like and hope he gets a shot. Don't forget Danny Coale who is talented and I think they'll give him every chance to step up.

O-line needs a lot of consideration, but I don't have it as our top priority. We're just one year removed from a major overhaul and investment. Costa is their guy at Centre, Tyron on the left. I think they need a LG as Livings was poor. Bernadeau had his moments but I think he returns. At RT, Free improved when Parnell started rotating with him but that's not saying much. I don't think unless someone in particular becomes available he'll be out but definitely a pick (or maybe even two) in the first four look possible.

Biggest concern for me is D-line. They're old, if you take out Lissemore and Crawford. Brent is finished sadly. Hatcher is in the prime. But the rest are knackered. This must be the top priority. No pass rush and little against the run. Imagine how good Ware, Lee, Carter would be behind a stout line.

Line backer is set for a long time. Like what Sims and Albright brought us when they needed to. Spencer gets the franchise tag again, because the money is simply too prohibitive to give him a long term deal at the minute.

Secondary is interesting. Carr and Mo are set for a while and both performed well in the main. Sensabaugh is fine. But will Barry Church come back ok? Will the invisible man Matt Johnson get the chance to step up? I think if there's someone out there at FS available we need to have a strong look at them. With Jenkins going we'll need a bit of help at DB, though I liked Sterling Moore and think he could stick around.

Coaching wise, I think Garrett is a decent HC. I still have questions over the game management and play-calling. But do wonder if an OC causes yet another 'controversy' we don't really need. Rob Ryan did ok with what he had to deal with and I think is worth another year.
Agree with much of this.

Not sure Dunbar will stay, though, and wonder whether they will franchise Spencer again (although I think they probably should).

Also, harsh to say that Livings was poor. In fact, I read that he graded out as our best OL performer!

DL is surely the off-season priority. It’ll likely have to take another good draft, though, as cap room situation doesn’t look particularly healthy (no thanks to Ratliff’s bewildering extension)

Interesting point re the potential for controversy if an OC were appointed (externally). I think that JC should concentrate on HC duties and, as such, let Callaghan call the plays next season.

Perhaps another QB coach if JJ must change something/add a different perspective.

I like Rob Ryan - and appreciate that he was working without an inordinate amount of starters towards the end of the year – but I was also interested to read that he has been a DC in the NFL for 9 consecutive seasons now, and none of his teams have ever finished better than 8-8.

I would certainly consider Lovie Smith as DC if he doesn’t get a HC gig.
Old 07.01.2013, 12:05 PM
Team Captain

If Jonny Football is as good next season as he was this season, then the dream situation is that we pick him up with Romo's contract running out next year.

I am with those who believe that we should set Romo up for a decent shot at it next year with some improved weapons and protection.
Old 07.01.2013, 01:04 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
If Jonny Football is as good next season as he was this season ...
Would he not go first overall?
Old 07.01.2013, 05:22 PM
Pro Bowler

My overall view is that , sadly not much has changed in the last few years,

Many fellow cowboys supporters want Romo to go, and as frustrating as sometimes his game is, he still is a great QB imo, and to be honest i cant think of anyone better to replace him with, I do think however, we do need to think about drafting a young rookie QB, this year or next to take over the reigns in a few seasons time.

Penalties- still annoy the hell out of me, why to we have soo many, particulary our offence (117 to be precise!!), so often we have been in a situation where its 2nd or 3rd and long, which is obviously a passing situation , and this ultimatley ends in Romo trying to do too much, hence the turnovers.

The above could be lessened if we could run the ball, but this hasnt happened either! Murray the leading rusher of the team has a dismall 600 plus yard season, which wont cut it!.

I agreed with a lot of comments our DL is getting old and should be looked at, and our secondary needs to tighten up, the team had only 7 interceptions all year!

Am i the only one who just felt the team didn't play with any passion or belief this year(or discipline) to me this stems from the coaching which is the area that needs to be changed.
Old 07.01.2013, 10:03 PM

I actually think for the first time this year I saw a bit of passion and fight. Garrett might be monotonous but he got them to come together from 3-5 and then win in Cincinnati and vs Pittsburgh, two games I didn't see them winning. I think they fought. UNder Philips this team would have quit at 3-5 and probably won no more than 6. Still perhaps not to a high enough standard as expected, but I liked the effort.