Free agency - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Indianapolis Colts

Sponsored Links

Old 14.03.2013, 12:43 PM
Team Captain

Default Free agency

Day 3 of free agency what's the verdict on the signings so far guys?

I like what Grigs has done addressing the O-line despite the negativity of a lot of fans regarding the lack of a big name signing in the trenches or big name pass rusher.

The Walden one looks a bit weird at the moment, especially the reported numbers, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Love Landry pickup and excited about Thomas and Toler especially. The secondary is shaping up very nicely.
Sponsored Links
Old 14.03.2013, 07:00 PM
All Pro

The important thing is we have upgraded big time at SS, CB, G, RT. We may have overpaid a bit slightly though.

Bitterly dissapointed that we didnt sign vasquez or levitre

Walden contract is ridiculous, New reports suggest that its actually 8M guaranteed. Hes 27 maybe pagano and grigson think he can play the jarret johnson role really well. Scouting reports on him are mixed to, it seems people either love him or hate him

Bookend tackles of Castonzo and Cherilus is great and potentially fantastic if Castonzo continues to improve and cherilus plays as he did last year like one of the best RTs in football

Secondary of Bethea, Landry, Davis, Toler and Butler has the potential to be one of the better ones in the league

Would like to see a D-line and WR signing and some veteran 1 year signings to

I think this free agency has set us up well to take the BPA in the draft which is always the best way to go
Old 15.03.2013, 12:59 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning2Wayne View Post
The important thing is we have upgraded big time at SS, CB, G, RT. We may have overpaid a bit slightly though.

Bitterly dissapointed that we didnt sign vasquez or levitre

Walden contract is ridiculous, New reports suggest that its actually 8M guaranteed. Hes 27 maybe pagano and grigson think he can play the jarret johnson role really well. Scouting reports on him are mixed to, it seems people either love him or hate him

Bookend tackles of Castonzo and Cherilus is great and potentially fantastic if Castonzo continues to improve and cherilus plays as he did last year like one of the best RTs in football

Secondary of Bethea, Landry, Davis, Toler and Butler has the potential to be one of the better ones in the league

Would like to see a D-line and WR signing and some veteran 1 year signings to

I think this free agency has set us up well to take the BPA in the draft which is always the best way to go
In the end I am glad that we didn't spend the mega money on Levitre. Vasquez would have been nice for the figure he has been paid but still happy with Thomas.

Even though Walden seems to have been overpaid, his deal is front loaded so we can cut him after 2 years with absolutely no cap hit if he doesn't work out. All of the negatives around are about his pass rushing ability but he seems to be fairly solid against the run, and I think that's why we have signed him.

RFJ is a decent signing for the line, and I think it is key that FA has set us up to take BPA.

I think we go either pass rusher or WR with our first pick though.

Happy that all of our FA signings are 28 or under too so all still have the potential to improve.

Also as has been pointed out in many places, whatever people think about how good certain players are that we have signed, we have still upgraded a lot of our roster as players such as Zbikowski, Reitz, Vaughan, Moala etc are likely providing depth now instead of starting.
Old 15.03.2013, 04:14 PM
All Pro

Best thing about Free agency..

Titans have made 1 good signing

Texans have done nothing and lost 2 of there starters on D

Jags have signed nobody and lost there best corner

Old 15.03.2013, 04:21 PM
Pro Bowler

Some good points here and agree with them.

The secondary indeed looks much better. Toler could be our CB #2 and with the addition of Landry, we become much more physical and it was about time, I may add. Besides, upgrading on Zibkowski was never gonna be that hard.

The contract that Walden got is suspect and nobody likes it but it's very possible that Pagano and our DC, Manusky, pointed him out. So they see something we don't. Mathis will be the pass rusher and Walden will set the edge against the run. That Atlanta guy, have no idea about him but it's a low risk.

All in all, and with the addition RJF, our D is bigger and stronger and I am glad we are leaning towards that direction.

Now on offense, I like the Thomas and Cherilus signing. I really do from the very little, I have noticed of them. Still think we need another starting guard. Reitz may be good option for depth, McGlynn not even for that. Ijalana, can you trust him being fit? Wish all the best for the lad but what he has gone through it's worrying.

We let Avery go, good move that, and we will add another wide receiver. Curious to see if it's through the draft or the FA.

All in all, besides the signing of Walden, it was a positive FA signing period for us that addressed almost fully our 2 biggest needs. OL to protect your franchise QB and the secondary. That means, as you mentioned, it puts us in a position to draft the BPA and not a certain position we suffer the most.

I expect us to draft a WR and a pass rushing OLB.
Old 17.03.2013, 08:36 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post

The secondary indeed looks much better. Toler could be our CB #2 and with the addition of Landry, we become much more physical and it was about time, I may add. Besides, upgrading on Zibkowski was never gonna be that hard.

The contract that Walden got is suspect and nobody likes it but it's very possible that Pagano and our DC, Manusky, pointed him out. So they see something we don't. Mathis will be the pass rusher and Walden will set the edge against the run. That Atlanta guy, have no idea about him but it's a low risk.

All in all, and with the addition RJF, our D is bigger and stronger and I am glad we are leaning towards that direction.

Now on offense, I like the Thomas and Cherilus signing. I really do from the very little, I have noticed of them. Still think we need another starting guard. Reitz may be good option for depth, McGlynn not even for that. Ijalana, can you trust him being fit? Wish all the best for the lad but what he has gone through it's worrying.

We let Avery go, good move that, and we will add another wide receiver. Curious to see if it's through the draft or the FA.

All in all, besides the signing of Walden, it was a positive FA signing period for us that addressed almost fully our 2 biggest needs. OL to protect your franchise QB and the secondary. That means, as you mentioned, it puts us in a position to draft the BPA and not a certain position we suffer the most.

Yeh fully agree, especially re Walden. We have obviously brought him in as a run stopping OLB. Packers obviously didn't fully utilise his strengths and expected him to be able to play the Clay Matthews role when he was out injured.
Old 28.03.2013, 09:46 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post

Am I the only one who is a bit nervous about the direction we are going?

We've had a particular D style for about a decade now. We're all familiar with it: a focus on smaller, speedier guys, bolstered by a couple of awesome pass rushers - giving us a 'bend don't break' D that gives up lots of yards against the run, but is good against the pass. Sure, we've all been frustrated at our inability to stop any runner, but the trade off has been a good pass D - which suits our overall game when paired with our explosive (pass heavy) offence: we score quickly and then they chew up the clock on the ground trying to keep up.

Don't get me wrong, I've been as frustrated as anyone by some aspects of our D - particularly in the last two seasons, so it's great to these these problems being addressed. But we've had great success with the old approach and my concern is that by shifting towards a bigger, heavier D that will basically look like a bog standard NFL D. I worry that this way mediocrity lies: sure, we might move from 30th against the run to 18th or so, but will that be at the exppense of the pass D and what other hidden costs are there?

Just throwing this out there... feel free to disagree - interested in views!
Old 28.03.2013, 01:19 PM
Pro Bowler

I, for once, am glad we are finally changing our defensive strategy and focusing more on stopping the run. Also getting big and powerful guys is nice for a change.

We have been burnt so many times in the past against the run, even in our glory years, and had to be addressed at some point.

Yeah it's a pass happy league but what's the point if you let the opposing RB make a career out of you every other game. Plus,come playoff time, defending against the run will be vastly important. Just my view, of course.

We still have Mathis for rushing the passer and we will probably draft a pass rushing OLB in the first round.

What I hope is, the trio of Redding-Chapman (really hope he remains fit)- RJF will put an immense pressure to the opponent's pocket.

PS: We really need another starting OG. I will keep saying it till we get one. lol