Supporting A Team - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Old 21.08.2009, 02:00 AM
Hall of Fame

Texans Taylor is right IMO. You seem to be trying too hard to find perfection when that will never really happen.
Old 21.08.2009, 06:34 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presley View Post
I was a 'glory hunting' kid at the time I got into NFL so picked the Redskins as they'd just been in two superbowls a couple of years previously but be warned this method of choosing a team can lead to years of misery as they haven't looked like contenders over the past few years.
Thats the thing, many of us i admit were 'glory hunting' but also back in the day you didnt always get a great choice of teams on Channel 4 so it was the main teams. Nowadays you have access to any team so you dont have to just go for the popular one on Sky.

I've seen many people over the years be active like anything when their teams 11-5 but then are quiet as a mouse when theyre 3-13, get disinterested and then come back a few years later supporting a top team again.

The generation of Patriot fans arent used to losing, the older ones (Rod Rust year) are. If NE go 3-13 in years to come then its going to be interesting. Look how quiet the Niners fans are, on past forums they used to run the place.
Old 21.08.2009, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Thats the thing, many of us i admit were 'glory hunting' but also back in the day you didnt always get a great choice of teams on Channel 4 so it was the main teams. Nowadays you have access to any team so you dont have to just go for the popular one on Sky.

I've seen many people over the years be active like anything when their teams 11-5 but then are quiet as a mouse when theyre 3-13, get disinterested and then come back a few years later supporting a top team again.

The generation of Patriot fans arent used to losing, the older ones (Rod Rust year) are. If NE go 3-13 in years to come then its going to be interesting. Look how quiet the Niners fans are, on past forums they used to run the place.

Some of us are still here,...........

Agree though, that most of us glory hunted to some degree or other when picking a team to follow, ( I have freely admitted elsewhere on this forum to doing so myself when I started following this game in the 80's),....

The shame is though, and this goes for other historically successful teams as well I am sure, is that a lot of those now quiet 'Niner fans are not quiet at all, they have as has been mentioned, reinvented themselves, and are now 'fans' of other currently more successful teams.......

Can't comment on the forums thing, although I have followed the game and the 'Niners for some time now, being a bit 'computer unfriendly' I have only relatively recently started participating in forums,.........
Old 21.08.2009, 09:01 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_H View Post
The shame is though, and this goes for other historically successful teams as well I am sure, is that a lot of those now quiet 'Niner fans are not quiet at all, they have as has been mentioned, reinvented themselves, and are now 'fans' of other currently more successful teams.......
Yep i've known a few people who have gone off the NFL because their team is terrible ! I cant see how people can switch teams. Of course 12-4 seasons over and over are superb, on the other hand being there from the 'beginning' where your team is rubbish and then year after year slowly moves to a playoff contender is very satisfying.

Said it before but all the longtime Buc fans who were fans in the late 80's/early 90's who then got the SB win i felt very happy for (Shame it was against Oakland !). MANY of these NE fans arent used to losing seasons or disappointment. I remember here a few years back when a Pats fan was going crazy that Josh McDaniels should be fired (because NE went through a bad game or two). The following year they went 16-0 and set records on offense yet the season before the fan wanted him fired ! Some seem to be very spoilt and i think will go mental when their team does one day start to lose.

When you go through the bad times you appreciate the good times even more. For 6 years its been a nightmare being a Raiders fan, opposing fans doing the 'ha ha we're better than you' crap. Cant wait for things to turn around
Old 21.08.2009, 03:24 PM
Team Captain

i think the great thing about the nfl is you can't realy be a glory hunter,in the man utd sense. the premiership may as well just give the trophy to man utd on the first day of the season and the rest, just play for second spot, thats why i have totally lost any interest in football,its boring.

but the great thing about the nfl is because of the wage cap, the draft system and free agency,you won't get to the situation where one team wins the super bowl every year.
Old 21.08.2009, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
i think the great thing about the nfl is you can't realy be a glory hunter,in the man utd sense. the premiership may as well just give the trophy to man utd on the first day of the season and the rest, just play for second spot, thats why i have totally lost any interest in football,its boring.

but the great thing about the nfl is because of the wage cap, the draft system and free agency,you won't get to the situation where one team wins the super bowl every year.

I think you will find a few fans on here switched teams and jumped on the band wagon a few year ago, added to the sudden influx of Patriot fans after they won the 2nd SB, I would tend to say that yeh there has been and are glory hunters here.

Mark
Old 21.08.2009, 03:54 PM
Pro Bowler

if after watching hundreds of games a team hasnt seemed to jump out or fit to you - its going to be impossible to recommend a team

personally, i watched some saints games to being with as a fan, then some texans then some eagles, then chiefs, then 49ers and finally packers - only 1 team got me fully supporting them in the game and involved - packers.

i still like all those other teams and will still support them against other teams - I've even at times considered switching teams early on in my supporting however i only ever felt well fittedwith the packers in terms of fans, players, kits, history, style, etc...
Old 21.08.2009, 05:06 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post

I agree with you about the good differences between the Premiership and the NFL and that is one of the reasons I became so interested.

However I have read a few articles that would suggest that the NFL is changing and that there will be no wage cap soon. If this happens the richer teams will start to dominate. I hope it does not happen. Saying that the Texans are minted but I would still not like it.
Old 21.08.2009, 06:03 PM
Team Captain

i must say, as much as i dislike glory hunters, anything that gets people interested in american football is ok by me, and if it means people choosing to follow the latest superbowl champions then so be it.
Old 21.08.2009, 06:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I agree with that, it explains the proliferation of Raiders, Skins, Dolphins, and 49er fans from initially the 80s and Dallas in the 90s.

Most of those teams have fallen on some tough times but a lot of us kept the faith

I'll admit though, when I saw Danny throwing bombs to Duper, I didn't consider the prospect of a 1-15 season 20 years later!

Tags
nfl , supporting a team