Week 2. Giants @ Cowboys. - Page 6 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Sponsored Links

Old 18.09.2018, 12:00 PM
Pro

I think this article sums up the situation the Giants are in:

https://nypost.com/2018/09/17/the-gi...f-eli-manning/

He is skittish in the pocket, he is missing open receivers, the line is poor, we're basically needing magic from OBJ or Barkley.

Basically I lay the majority of the blame with Jerry Reese.
Sponsored Links
Old 18.09.2018, 02:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWP84 View Post
I think this article sums up the situation the Giants are in:

https://nypost.com/2018/09/17/the-gi...f-eli-manning/

He is skittish in the pocket, he is missing open receivers, the line is poor, we're basically needing magic from OBJ or Barkley.

Basically I lay the majority of the blame with Jerry Reese.
It definitely wasn't the plan, but it might work out in the long run. Barkley might be better than any RB to emerge from the draft in the next few years. If you are as bad as it seems you'll have a shot at one of the top 3 QB's in the 2019 Draft instead.

I suppose it'll depend on how good Darnold, Rosen, etc turn out to be. Oh, and whether your O line ruins the career of your next rookie QB before its begun.

If the O Line doesn't find a way to improve though Eli's potentially final season in New York could be a long and painful one.
Old 19.09.2018, 12:41 AM
Starter

Are any of the top 3 QB's in the 2019 draft worth a hill of beans?

I'm amazed at how poor the Giants line is looking. I knew the right side would be iffy but even Solder and Hernandez don't look as good as would have been expected before the season, they're getting no purchase in the run game at all.

Hard to judge him after 2 games and with this line but Barkley doesn't look like he can run between the tackles consistently. You need a number 2 pick RB to be able to do everything. Mind you, another thing he doesn't seem able to do is go down on the first tackle in open space, ever.

Dallas look solid on defence, should be enough to keep Garrett and Dak in their jobs.

Last edited by djhdjh; 19.09.2018 at 02:20 AM.
Old 19.09.2018, 04:56 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh View Post

I'm amazed at how poor the Giants line is looking. I knew the right side would be iffy but even Solder and Hernandez don't look as good as would have been expected before the season, they're getting no purchase in the run game at all.

Hard to judge him after 2 games and with this line but Barkley doesn't look like he can run between the tackles consistently. You need a number 2 pick RB to be able to do everything. Mind you, another thing he doesn't seem able to do is go down on the first tackle in open space, ever.

Dallas look solid on defence, should be enough to keep Garrett and Dak in their jobs.

i'm pretty sure he can run between the tackles but he is getting met after getting the hand off.
Old 19.09.2018, 10:22 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh View Post

At this stage, I have no idea.

I think it just goes to show how hard it is to build an O line. Yes they invested in the left side, but if 3/5 of the rest of your line is still substandard then it wont matter. Even the Cowboys investment in their O line hasn't made them invincible. They are missing Frederick, but with him in there we'd still have the occasional rookie 'mistake' from Connor Williams to worry about.

Barkley can run between the tackles, but I don't think it's his strength. He's also adjusting to the NFL. In college he could be patient running inside, he could make people miss and burst out of the other side. In the bigger, faster, stronger NFL it's not as easy, and if he slows his feet down behind the line there is much more potential to get stopped dead. As you say though, in space it's going to take multiple tacklers to bring him down. Not wanting to overhype him, but I think you'll struggle to draft a better back in the next 5-10 years, and that might turn out to be true going back in time too. not to say he's the best, but he is generational and that means he's always in the discussion.