Bears Draft 2017 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 28.04.2017, 05:42 PM
Starter

Default Bears Draft 2017

Round 1 - Pick #2

Mitchell Trubisky

I'm going to say that despite being totally side-swiped by both the trade and the pick I absolutely love what pace did. The Bears' made an assessment that Trubisky is the QB they think can be a franchise player at that position and went and got him.

At the end of the day he cost us 2 x 3rd rounders and a 4th, if in 3-5 years time he ends up being a top 10 QB I think the trade/pick will be classed a success. Anything less and Pace can be criticised but who knows when the next time we will be in a position to be able to take our pick of all the available quarterbacks rather than settling for whats left.

Yes, there were safer picks (like Thomas or Adams) but the Browns drafted 10 time pro-bowler Joe Thomas 10 years ago at pick #3 and without a QB look where they've been as a franchise during that time, but hey, congrats on the awesome Joe Thomas pick, he's played 160 games and won 47!!!

At least Pace swung for the fences, it may cost him his job, it may turn out to be a masterstroke but I love the fact he had the balls to do it.

I like the poise of Trubisky, I like the fact he's the only one out of all the qb's in this draft who actually looks at more than one reciever when in the pocket rather than staring down just one guy, and very, very rarely does a drafted quarterbacks completion percentage go up in the pros and Trubiskys is much better than the other guys in the draft.

Lastly, why is there so much criticism from reporters about no plan in Chicago as we've committed $18m to Glennon? Everyone knows Mitch isn't a day one starter so he can sit for a year, learn the system, Glennon costs us $2m to cut after this year so if Trubisky is ready to step in, there you go. Bashing the Bears has become a fashionable thing to do, I still trust Pace.
Sponsored Links
Old 28.04.2017, 05:54 PM
MVP

Inclined to agree. You'd think we'd traded away the next 3 years 1sts picks the way it's been greeted on here.

Interested to see now if they trade that high 2nd away to recoup the picks spent last night.
Old 28.04.2017, 06:11 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Inclined to agree. You'd think we'd traded away the next 3 years 1sts picks the way it's been greeted on here.

Interested to see now if they trade that high 2nd away to recoup the picks spent last night.
I'm glad I'm not the only one Danny, I was starting to go mad at NFL Network. Ian Rapoport reporting that the Niners had a legit offer from someone else to move up to 2 but the Bears offer was better value. Bill Polian giving credit to the Bears on ESPN right now, says 'Pace snookered the Browns after they were too vocal about Trubisky'.

Thats what I was thinking, trade down 5 or 10 slots and get an extra 3rd or 4th back.
Old 29.04.2017, 11:05 AM
Starter

Day 3 and I'm hoping for something like the following picks:

OT - Maybe David Sharpe or Roderick Johnson
DT - Ryan Glasgow
S - Josh Harvey-Clemons
WR - Josh Reynolds

I've not even been close with who I thought Pace may draft so far so these will probably be further away than the moon! But these would make me very happy with our draft.

In the last 16 months we've added McPhee and Floyd outside, Hicks, Bullard and Goldman inside, Trevathan and Freeman at LB and a ton of DBs.

Now we've added a QB, TE and a couple of FA WRs.

I think with the picks above we would be continuing to add quality starters.
Old 03.05.2017, 08:48 AM
All Pro

I'm not sure about mitch, but I do respect pace going after his man. The question which we may never know the answer to, is if we overpayed to move up 1 spot. I'm 100% certain there were enquiries.

It breaks down like this I think:

1. The 49er's played us, got paid, we got screwed.
2.there was a genuine offer from below but it didn't match the bears- pace did what it took.
3. There was an offer at trade value but the 49er's wanted to keep a high pick to get the player they wanted and get extra picks. The 49er's maximised their draft.

I have have far more of an issue with the rest of our draft really. We needed dB's on mass. If we'd nabbed a top corner in free agency it would be different, we didn't we got a small upgrade tops.

I'm sort of ok with the te pick, we needed a red zone target and got one.

On Glennon - the media is scaring up a story, if Glennon turns out to be the answer he won't get booted so mitch can take over at some point. A groomed ready to play back up in trubitsky is worth a lot on the market in 2019.
Old 03.05.2017, 10:30 AM
MVP

Re the trade for Mitch...

Mary J Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer was reporting just before the draft that the Browns were working the phones trying to move up, and there have been a lot stories pre draft that the Browns had interest in him - she very rarely misses on stories of the Browns too.

With that in mind I'm pretty sure nobody played us, and there was genuine interest in him. We didn't mortgage the future and recouped the majority of what we paid for him on day 2.

My concern of the draft was all these picks from smaller schools.

This will either be a genius draft or the mother of all face plants.
Old 05.05.2017, 08:41 AM
All Pro

Quote:
This will either be a genius draft or the mother of all face plants.
yep. Let's hope for the former lol.
Old 05.05.2017, 10:35 AM
Rookie

I have mixed feelings on the draft, especially the cost of Trubisky.

Only time will tell if he is THE franchise guy and I think that's what Pace now has - time.

It's going to be at least two years before any judgement can be made on Trubisky, so will be the same with Pace who's staked his job on this guy.

Trubisky seems to be the complete opposite of Cutler which is a bonus already.

As for the rest of the draft, Shaheen is intriguing and hopefully a Red Zone target. Cohen is an odd choice though, almost like he's the Sproles and we're trying to do a Saints.
Old 14.05.2017, 08:51 PM
Rookie

2 3rd round picks is nothing compared to landing a potential franchise QB. Knowing how Pace works the drafts its likely he trades down at some point in the 2018 draft anyways, so when its all said and done we might almost break even on the picks lost.