Jerry Jones - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 10.11.2016, 08:58 AM
Pro

Default Jerry Jones

Obviously im a new to the sport but have been reading a few articles and watching interviews and found Jerry Jones to seems to come across a bit arrogant and when his mind is set on something that’s it. The Romo Prescott conversation is obviously all the rage at the moment and quite right from what I can see, It just seems Jerry is making all the decision’s rather than the coaches is this the done thing in the NFL where owners get so involved?
Sponsored Links
Old 10.11.2016, 09:19 PM
All Pro

Ha welcome to Jerrys club! hes a character and after all its his club and he has a lot of influence on what goes on
Old 11.11.2016, 08:05 AM
Pro

yeah seems his a bit or a marmite guy with fans! have heard his son is a bit less erratic...

Last edited by JoeBo; 11.11.2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11.11.2016, 03:13 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBo View Post
yeah seems his a bit or a marmite guy with fans! have heard his son is a bit less erratic...
Jerry was a successful offensive lineman in college, so he has a confidence, misplaced or not, in his understanding of the game. The guy is worth $5bn, he's turned the Cowboys into one of, if not the, most successful (off the field) sports franchises in the world. Basically he's earned the right to be a little to hands on in some respects.

That said, it's clearly not always for the best. In recent years he does seem to have reigned himself in a bit. Stephen Jones (his son) has taken on a more influential role. They promoted Will McClay to Senior Director College/Pro Personnel and he and Stephen Jones seem to have a big say on what goes on during the Draft process. If it's to be believed it was Stephen and Will who over ruled Jerry when drafting Zach Martin instead of Johnny Manziel a few years back. That signalled a real shift I think.

Head Coaches will never have complete control with Jerry around, I don't think even Bill Parcells had it. Given the Cowboys recent success ('14 & '16)Jerry might finally start to feel a little more comfortable in relinquishing control.........well, a little bit of control anyway.
Old 08.01.2017, 08:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Jerry was a successful offensive lineman in college, so he has a confidence, misplaced or not, in his understanding of the game. The guy is worth $5bn, he's turned the Cowboys into one of, if not the, most successful (off the field) sports franchises in the world. Basically he's earned the right to be a little to hands on in some respects.

That said, it's clearly not always for the best. In recent years he does seem to have reigned himself in a bit. Stephen Jones (his son) has taken on a more influential role. They promoted Will McClay to Senior Director College/Pro Personnel and he and Stephen Jones seem to have a big say on what goes on during the Draft process. If it's to be believed it was Stephen and Will who over ruled Jerry when drafting Zach Martin instead of Johnny Manziel a few years back. That signalled a real shift I think.

Head Coaches will never have complete control with Jerry around, I don't think even Bill Parcells had it. Given the Cowboys recent success ('14 & '16)Jerry might finally start to feel a little more comfortable in relinquishing control.........well, a little bit of control anyway.
Small correction here... the Cowboys were the most valuable team in the NFL when he bought the team... they were also the most valuable team in all sports, in the US, with the possible exception of the Yankees. I can't remember the exact order from back then. Not sure how they ranked internationally back then so perhaps he can take some credit for that.... perhaps.

He's been 'hands on' from day 1. And the way he fired Tom Landry almost got him run out of town on a rail... things haven't really gotten better since.

Other than that you're spot on.

Most here consider him a joke, but there's nothing we can do about it.... except wait.
Old 08.01.2017, 08:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMerle View Post
Small correction here... the Cowboys were the most valuable team in the NFL when he bought the team... they were also the most valuable team in all sports, in the US, with the possible exception of the Yankees. I can't remember the exact order from back then. Not sure how they ranked internationally back then so perhaps he can take some credit for that.... perhaps.

He's been 'hands on' from day 1. And the way he fired Tom Landry almost got him run out of town on a rail... things haven't really gotten better since.

Other than that you're spot on.

Most here consider him a joke, but there's nothing we can do about it.... except wait.
I stand corrected.

He wants to win so badly that he's been blinded by it at times, he trusts his instinct even if it's been proven to be wrong before. I think he's been trying to recreate the team of the early 90's, or parts of it, for the last 20 years. Finally he might have his 'triplets' back, he's got his line, and he'll try to improve the D. Success might be a very calming influence on him though, thankfully.
Old 08.01.2017, 10:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I stand corrected.

He wants to win so badly that he's been blinded by it at times, he trusts his instinct even if it's been proven to be wrong before. I think he's been trying to recreate the team of the early 90's, or parts of it, for the last 20 years. Finally he might have his 'triplets' back, he's got his line, and he'll try to improve the D. Success might be a very calming influence on him though, thankfully.
Bullseye my friend!! No one here in Dallas or anywhere in the US gave him any credit for the 3 early SBs... All credit is/was given to Jimmy Johnson. That is still a sore spot with him.

He wants to be seen as a 'football guy' so badly he can taste it. Sadly, he's not.

Many here, myself included, will give him credit for wanting to win. We just wish he'd turn over football operations to a pro.

Like the saying goes... Jerry Jones the owner should fire Jerry Jones the GM!
Old 27.08.2017, 11:33 AM
All Pro

Great to see him make a stance against the way these protests are being conducted.