........Dallas Cowboys thread - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 31.01.2005, 05:59 PM
Pro

Default Re:........Dallas Cowboys thread

I don't understand everybody's problem with Vinny. He finished the season with one of the highest season passing yardage totals in Coboys history! Granted he threw more interceptions than touchdowns, but he didn't particularily have it easy, considering we had no running attack for the first 8 games, allowing defences to tee off on him, and losing our only legitimate deep threat (Terry Glenn) after a few games...

I think we should stick with the same three quarterbacks as last year, and keep Vinny under center until Drew is ready.

If Parcells and Jerry Jones don't see Henson cutting it i think we should trade up to take the first QB in the draft if we can...
Sponsored Links
Old 31.01.2005, 06:57 PM
Team Captain

Julius Jones, if he stays healthy, is going to be a legend ;D !

If the rumours are true, and Dallas are switching to a 3-4 next year, most of the focus is going to be on re-vamping the 'D', especially if Coakley & Nguyen are on the way out and following Woodie's retirement.

So I think we are stuck with Vinny for another year, IMO we should look elsewhere because we aint gonna win with him, but I can't see next year as anything more than a re-building year. They will see how Henson stacks up, and if he doesn't cut-it, they will look at QB next off-season.

The problem with Vinny is that he doesn't have the arm anymore to throw the deep ball, and he's not as accurate as he was.

Old 31.01.2005, 08:48 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to BengalBoy

i have an intrest in the cowboys, so im gonna post in here with my opinion on it all

Looking at the Depth Chart for the Cowboys i dont see how you can change to a 3 - 4 all of a sudden especialy if Nygen and Coakley are on their way out. short of those two your remaining LB's are as follows.

Bradie James 6'2 245lbs
Keith O'Neil 6'0 230lbs
Ryan Fowler
Scott Shanle 6'2 237lbs
Alshermond Singleton 6'2 236lbs

and Al is no spring chicken either. so that would leave you guys with a lot of unknowns having to step up and play. Then you look at the D Line Itself. Glover is too small to play NT and the other guys Carson & Claybrooks are nothing to be scared of at DT and are also a bit undersized to be NT's. you also need to replace Woodson unless you go with Frazier, i hear he has gotten better throughout last season, but again he is no star. It would pretty much leave your team with Newman / Roy Williams / Pete Hunter / Ellis as guys that you could rely on. and Ellis is getting on in age aswell.

Then when you look at offense. Flozell went backwards this year compared to his previous year. the right side of the O-Line is weak. Vinny shouldnt be playing anymore and you could do with another Decent WR for deep threats. Julius Jones is going to be a star if he stays healthy, when i watched him play NY in giants stadium the kid has soo many moves its scary, so damn quick aswell, and Witten is looking great at TE. but this coming season he is going to have to prove himself as opposition teams will no doubt be paying more attention to him.

I feel for the Cowboys. in area's that they have guys playing well, those guys are getting on somewhat in their careers. im really looking forward to see what they do in the Draft.

But after saying all of that, i have witnessed how a Franchise can be changed dramaticaly overnight in Cincy with Marvin coming in and making vast personnel changes. so it can be done in a relatively short amount of time.

Hopefuly the Cowboys get things in order and Big Bill gets you guys back to winning the NFC East

i apologise for any spelling mistakes, im terrible at spelling.
Old 31.01.2005, 09:02 PM
All Pro

I don't think we'll be letting Nguyen or Coakley go. Al Singleton will be replaced by James at SLB I think. Willie Blade will play the 1 tech DT and Carson will be gone. If we get Derrick Johnson (ehich we probably won't), Nguyen and/or Coakley might be gone, with James playing in the middle and Johnson at WLB. We will probably get a vet CB and a right tackle or guard would be fine. Flo Adams will be back on his game next year, LA will be great as usual and Al Johnson was good in his 'rookie' year. I'm sure we don't need a receiver. People saying 'Glenn is getting old' etc gets me pissed off. He's a year younger than TO, and two younger than Marvin Haririson so go and tell Eagles and Colts they need receivers as well. Our passing game took a nose dive when he was injured last year.

And we ain't a bunch of dinosaurs, Bengalboy. You worry about your own team because you've got problems as well.

Sorry, but I just hate other fans criticizing my team
Old 31.01.2005, 10:23 PM
All Pro

BengalBoy does raise some good points though. For a start, Al Singleton redefines the term 'anonymous' - can you remember a single play that guy made this year? Get rid of him for sure. Thing is, I can see Coakley going - he isnt big, hes getting older, but more to the point his cap hit is gonna be huge this year (am I right in saying $6m?). You dont pay that kind of money for an aging LB, no matter how good he has been in the past.

I wish James could just slot in (for either Coak or Singleton) but I'm not sure hes the answer either - he had his chances this year and, again (like Singleton), I cant remember him doing anything.

From that front 7, the only people I can definitley see returning are Ellis and Nguyen. Even Glover may be traded if we do go 3-4 (and I would absolutely HATE to see him go). This is why I want 100% defence drafting on the first day; we have far too many questions there to ignore.

As for Vinny, yes his stats are okay (especialy the yardage). I'll even let him off with all those ints he threw. My problem is HOW and WHEN he threw the Ints; throwing into double-coverage, right when we needed a steady head. I havent seen a breakdown, but I'll bet at least 66% of those Ints were within the closing stages of each half. We bought him in to be a steady influence, yet it turned out HE was the one who needed steadying. At least if you play a rookie, you expect rookie mistakes. NOT from a guy whos been in the league 20 years! >
Old 31.01.2005, 10:34 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Ghod link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=15#msg165389 date=1107205330]
I don't think we'll be letting Nguyen or Coakley go. Al Singleton will be replaced by James at SLB I think. Willie Blade will play the 1 tech DT and Carson will be gone. If we get Derrick Johnson (ehich we probably won't), Nguyen and/or Coakley might be gone, with James playing in the middle and Johnson at WLB. We will probably get a vet CB and a right tackle or guard would be fine. Flo Adams will be back on his game next year, LA will be great as usual and Al Johnson was good in his 'rookie' year. I'm sure we don't need a receiver. People saying 'Glenn is getting old' etc gets me p**sed off. He's a year younger than TO, and two younger than Marvin Haririson so go and tell Eagles and Colts they need receivers as well. Our passing game took a nose dive when he was injured last year.

And we ain't a bunch of dinosaurs, Bengalboy. You worry about your own team because you've got problems as well.

Sorry, but I just hate other fans criticizing my team
[/quote]

im not ripping the team mate, please dont get me wrong, i like the cowboys. im just stating why im worried about the way they seem to be heading, but as i stated. a few shrewd moves by big bill and im sure things will be back on track. you will no doubt know more than myself about those lesser known LB's so i will have to take your word for it.

and hey i know we have got problems. but thankfuly going in to the 3rd year of Marvins tenure we have a lot of young talent. and i mean a LOT !
Old 31.01.2005, 10:41 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Crackity-Jones link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=15#msg165445 date=1107210228]
BengalBoy does raise some good points though. For a start, Al Singleton redefines the term 'anonymous' - can you remember a single play that guy made this year? Get rid of him for sure. Thing is, I can see Coakley going - he isnt big, hes getting older, but more to the point his cap hit is gonna be huge this year (am I right in saying $6m?). You dont pay that kind of money for an aging LB, no matter how good he has been in the past.

I wish James could just slot in (for either Coak or Singleton) but I'm not sure hes the answer either - he had his chances this year and, again (like Singleton), I cant remember him doing anything.

From that front 7, the only people I can definitley see returning are Ellis and Nguyen. Even Glover may be traded if we do go 3-4 (and I would absolutely HATE to see him go). This is why I want 100% defence drafting on the first day; we have far too many questions there to ignore.

As for Vinny, yes his stats are okay (especialy the yardage). I'll even let him off with all those ints he threw. My problem is HOW and WHEN he threw the Ints; throwing into double-coverage, right when we needed a steady head. I havent seen a breakdown, but I'll bet at least 66% of those Ints were within the closing stages of each half. We bought him in to be a steady influence, yet it turned out HE was the one who needed steadying. At least if you play a rookie, you expect rookie mistakes. NOT from a guy whos been in the league 20 years! >
[/quote]

some real good points, as ive stated to Ghod. i will take all your words on those lesser known LB's / DT's etc as i dont see as much of them as you guys probably do. i dont see why Ngyen would be kicked out. in the 03 / 04 season he was a big part of making the dallas D no.1 and he isnt as old as Coakley and Singleton. Personaly i say stick with the 4 - 3 get Pete Hunter back fit and possibly hope Frazier can continue to develop. and then Look to Draft a LB ( hopefuly Derrick Johnson ) and put him in the lineup and get rid of Singleton. and then Draft / FA a DE to replace Wiley, because in all honesty he has been a HUGE let down and again he is 31 i believe so that aint a good age for a DE although there are exceptions to the rule ( Strahan ).

Offensively, if you can replace Vinny with someone who is either going to make more solid decisions or someone who is a rookie, but aswell as making mistakes ( which they will ) make big plays to counter the growing pains.
Old 01.02.2005, 09:43 AM
All Pro

Yeah I want to see more of Hunter before we dump the kid; he had a bad first game against Minny, then improved alot the next game and a half (went out injured in game 3 in Washington). A veteran FA should still be a priority though (but not in the draft - we have too many youngsters back there already - Roy Williams is the 'senior' DB now!).

Personaly, I think we may be better off staying 4-3 aswell, at least as our main line-up. By all means bring in 3-4 on particular plays, but I just cannot see how we can revamp the entire D in one off-season.
Old 01.02.2005, 09:45 AM
MVP

revamp the entire D, tell me about it we do you a swap
Old 01.02.2005, 10:07 AM
All Pro

[quote author=Crackity-Jones link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=15#msg165563 date=1107251030]

Personaly, I think we may be better off staying 4-3 aswell, at least as our main line-up. By all means bring in 3-4 on particular plays, but I just cannot see how we can revamp the entire D in one off-season.
[/quote]

thats pretty much how we are going about things. 4-3 as the standard package, and using 3-4 more often than before.