Frequently Asked Questions - Page 17 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Old 29.01.2018, 05:54 PM
Pro

Caught a bit of talksport earlier today and they advertised speaking to someone who is the editor of first down newspaper .....is this a actually around ? It was the hawksbee and Jacobs show
Old 29.01.2018, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis View Post
Caught a bit of talksport earlier today and they advertised speaking to someone who is the editor of first down newspaper .....is this a actually around ? It was the hawksbee and Jacobs show
First Down (sadly) hasn't been around for quite a few years now...
Old 29.01.2018, 10:54 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis View Post
Are the nfl stadia used for anything else but the games as 8 games a season csnt be financially viable ?
In almost all cases, yes. Remember there're 10 games (2 preseason) plus normally 8 of the stadiums will host a post-season game, maybe 2, and perhaps another the Super Bowl (in this case Minnesota has the Super Bowl but also had a playoff game).

The Raiders are the only ones who share with a baseball team now and their days in Oakland are numbered. Some stadiums like Seattle, New England, Atlanta and Minnesota host a soccer team as well. Some stadiums will host concerts, Houston has the annual rodeo, sometimes they have big basketball or wrestling events.

But mostly the dual use is for other types of football, mostly college football.

- College team's home stadium too: Pittsburgh (Pitt Panthers), Philadelphia (Temple), Atlanta (Georgia State), Tennessee (Tennessee State), LA Rams (USC), Miami (Hurricanes). San Diego Chargers also shared theirs with the SD State team.

- College bowl games: Arizona (Fiesta), San Francisco (Foster Farms), Dallas (Cotton), Houston (Texas), New Orleans (Sugar), Jacksonville (Gator), Tampa (Outback), Miami (Orange), Atlanta (Peach), Detroit (Quick Lanes), Carolina (Belk), Tennessee (Music City)

- College football conference championship games: Indianapolis (Big Ten), San Francisco (Pac 12), Carolina (ACC), Atlanta (SEC), Dallas (Big 12)

- Neutral site college games: Jacksonville (Florida-Georgia), Philadelphia, Washington or Baltimore usually hosts Army v Navy, Dallas has Arkansas v Texas A&M, and then stadiums like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Carolina frequently host random neutral site games in the opening weekends of college football season.

So from all that you can see that the vast majority of stadiums, though not all, are getting quite a bit more use than just the NFL, especially those in the warmer/sunnier parts of the US.
Old 29.01.2018, 11:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh View Post
Is there any way to predict whether a team will be at home on a given weekend before the fixtures come out? Planning a September holiday to the US and would like to fit a game into it - ideally at Philadelphia but possibly Washington as well, and would ideally not leave planning until the fixtures date...
Not really. The schedule will come out in late April if you can wait a bit to plan your trip. There are indicators that will help for some teams but they aren't guaranteed to be correct.

Philadelphia shares their stadium with Temple Owls, who play on Saturdays. You can find the college schedule already as these are announced well in advance but unfortunately it's not as simple as saying if Temple are home Saturday then the Eagles won't be on Sunday. They like to keep them apart where they can especially if it's a grass field but sometimes they do play on consecutive days in the same venue. I guess you have marginally more chance of getting an Eagles home game on a weekend when Temple are not at home.

Likewise, Philadelphia Eagles stadium is next door to the baseball stadium and the baseball schedule is already out. It is unlikely, but not unheard of, that the football team will be at home on a day that the baseball team is at home. Baseball teams usually play 6 days a week and tend to have runs of home games then runs of away games, maybe 5-6 at a time. If you pick a Sunday in September (while baseball is still on) where the Phillies and the Temple Owls are both playing away, I would say you have a far better chance of the Eagles being at home that weekend than were the Owls and Phillies both at home. But I cannot guarantee it. And of course the Eagles could be slated on Thursday or Monday.

Washington I can't help you with as there are no college teams sharing or baseball stadiums next door.
Old 01.02.2018, 09:39 PM
Team Captain

Thanks, will have a look at that. And thanks Buffalo re the New York suggestion - not sure a day trip to East Rutherford will be the most popular idea but worth a thought!
Old 03.02.2018, 11:19 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh View Post
Thanks, will have a look at that. And thanks Buffalo re the New York suggestion - not sure a day trip to East Rutherford will be the most popular idea but worth a thought!
Probably not, especially if the transport is as useless as it was when I left the game last year. I spent ages in a very long queue for a train. Shame, it was quite a good experience otherwise.
Old 04.02.2018, 03:44 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
Probably not, especially if the transport is as useless as it was when I left the game last year. I spent ages in a very long queue for a train. Shame, it was quite a good experience otherwise.
is the train still indirect as well to Manhattan? Seem to recall it needed a change something-Junction. If it makes you feel any better I had an equally long queue to get a bus to Port Authority a number of games ago.

One thing I like about Pittsburgh is you get yourself a downtown hotel and you can just walk to the stadium. And when the sun is shining it's a very pleasant walk too, bridge across the river and walk along the waterfront by the baseball stadium, past the boatgaters.
Old 05.02.2018, 11:18 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
is the train still indirect as well to Manhattan? Seem to recall it needed a change something-Junction. If it makes you feel any better I had an equally long queue to get a bus to Port Authority a number of games ago.

One thing I like about Pittsburgh is you get yourself a downtown hotel and you can just walk to the stadium. And when the sun is shining it's a very pleasant walk too, bridge across the river and walk along the waterfront by the baseball stadium, past the boatgaters.
There is a change yes, at Secaucus Junction which to be honest was easy so wasnt an issue. It was the 90 minute or so queue to get on a train from the stadium. I understand the logic of wanting space for car parks etc, and I found it a good stadium overall, but it does seem really really in the middle of no where. I'm sure someone better informed than I will be able to explain why it was where it is, but it seems a recipe for inconvenience for me.
Old 05.02.2018, 09:25 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
There is a change yes, at Secaucus Junction which to be honest was easy so wasnt an issue. It was the 90 minute or so queue to get on a train from the stadium. I understand the logic of wanting space for car parks etc, and I found it a good stadium overall, but it does seem really really in the middle of no where. I'm sure someone better informed than I will be able to explain why it was where it is, but it seems a recipe for inconvenience for me.
It really was just that they needed a big space and an even bigger space around it for cars. And that means going to the middle of nowhere. Washington followed the exact same approach. There are a few like that in the US, but then lately the trend has gone more towards going back downtown. Easier said than done in New York though.
Old 10.02.2018, 09:13 AM
Pro

After watching the Brady to Gronk hail mary attempt it made me wonder why don't teams use it more often on 4th down as its a decent enough chance to get a lucky bounce or whatever and if you punt it you give possession back anyhow?