Black Monday - You're Fired. - Page 65 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 13.01.2018, 11:33 AM
All Pro

I think it's down to a combination of
A) Big money in the college game so there is less incentive to move
B) Relatively better job security in college vs the NFL
C) A broader role covering recruitment as well etc. In college being attractive as an all round job

I don't the college system is the feeder system for Pro coaches it once was. It's a legit career path in its own rights
Old 13.01.2018, 02:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Pat Shurmur seems to be the favoured candidate in Arizona. Maybe takes a Vikings QB with him?

Have to agree with BuffaloG's earlier post - the Coaching tree looks a tad bare this year.

No College candidates either - I'm not an expert on the College game. Is that because there isn't a Coach there primed for a job in the Pro's, the top Coaches happy with their lot in their current posts or are NFL teams scared from the failures of the last great hope Chip Kelly?
Yes rumors say Shurmur and Keenum will be a packaged deal. Most likely landing spot is Arizona.

The Colts interviewed Baylor head coach Matt Rhule, but he pulled out.

Could be a combination of all of the above. I doubt anyone is scared because of Chip Kelly. The direction the wind is blowing with offenses in the NFL is towards college Spread offense concepts & RPO's, since those are the systems a lot of QB's are coming out of. Stuff that you might see more commonly at the NCAA level is only gonna become more popular over time.

Last edited by Speed; 13.01.2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 13.01.2018, 03:06 PM
Pro Bowler

Colts down to Josh McDaniels or Mike Vrabel according to Rapoport. Have a feeling Vrabel is both Colts and Lions back up in case they each don't land their preferred Patriots coordinator.
Old 13.01.2018, 03:24 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
I think it's down to a combination of
A) Big money in the college game so there is less incentive to move
B) Relatively better job security in college vs the NFL
C) A broader role covering recruitment as well etc. In college being attractive as an all round job

I don't the college system is the feeder system for Pro coaches it once was. It's a legit career path in its own rights
Yes, it's definitely not a feeder system. It also takes a different type in coach, in many ways. Not to say that some cannot do both, but it's a different thing to motivate 18-20 year olds out of high school and professional football players.

The NFL is still more prestigious (I bet deep down Saban still regrets he couldn't make it work in the NFL despite all the success he has had in college) but equally there are large parts of the USA where college football remains the more popular form of the sport, including some states like Ohio, Michigan, Florida or Tennessee that have pro football teams. If you're from Alabama, the Alabama HC job beats anything the NFL can offer.
Old 13.01.2018, 06:45 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latic View Post
Colts down to Josh McDaniels or Mike Vrabel according to Rapoport. Have a feeling Vrabel is both Colts and Lions back up in case they each don't land their preferred Patriots coordinator.
I really hope you hire McDaniels.
Old 13.01.2018, 06:53 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw13 View Post
I really hope you hire McDaniels.
I like Vrabel but with Bill signing a 4 year extension doesn't that make it more likely that he will end up getting a HC job somewhere else very soon.

Think with McDaniels its all about the QB situation and how much control over the 53 he can get,will the Colts give him both??
Old 13.01.2018, 06:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
I like Vrabel but with Bill signing a 4 year extension doesn't that make it more likely that he will end up getting a HC job somewhere else very soon.

Think with McDaniels its all about the QB situation and how much control over the 53 he can get,will the Colts give him both??
Doubt he would get that control in Indy with a relatively new GM trying to establish himself after the mess of Grigson & Pagano. With an interfering owner in Irsay, McDaniels would be a voice in the room and no more
Old 13.01.2018, 07:16 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Doubt he would get that control in Indy with a relatively new GM trying to establish himself after the mess of Grigson & Pagano. With an interfering owner in Irsay, McDaniels would be a voice in the room and no more
The Colts aren't in a good negotiating position, it's an unattractive job,with massive uncertainty over the QB and one of the worst rosters in the league, in a very competitive division, so I think McDaniels has a chance of getting a reasonable deal. He could have a decent season and they still finish last in the division
Old 13.01.2018, 07:26 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
The Colts aren't in a good negotiating position, it's an unattractive job,with massive uncertainty over the QB and one of the worst rosters in the league, in a very competitive division, so I think McDaniels has a chance of getting a reasonable deal. He could have a decent season and they still finish last in the division
McDaniels is in the last chance saloon when it comes to HC posts. The Colts job has the potential to go sour very quickly, particularly if Luck is a shadow of what he was. He and his reputation will go down with that ship

If this is his only offer I'd wait it out another year. Co-ordinating a Brady offense for another season isn't going to harm his stock
Old 13.01.2018, 07:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Todd Archer ESPN:

'The Cowboys will meet with New York Giants line coach Mike Solari, according to sources.'

That would be the OFFENSIVE. LINE. COACH. OF THE NEW YORK GIANTS

Have I missed something.......something like......the Giants having a successful offensive line.