Game Pass 2011 - UK Blackouts - Page 21 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 21.09.2011, 02:22 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
I think at worst it needs to be a 24hr blackout, I'm thinking of Gamepass for next season (otherwise Ill never get to watch the Dolphins) but 6 days is excessive. It will be an interesting off-season with regards to TV coverage.
Get Gamepass this season, if Sky ain't gonna show the Dolphins then you don't have to worry about the 6-day blackout. That's why it's good for me
Old 21.09.2011, 02:34 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean49 View Post
Because it's in the contract and it wasn't being enforced and they noticed, doesn't matter if they use it or not cos the NFL signed a legally binding contract to black the games out for 6 days.
Yes - I know that.

My point is, why did they they suddenly enforce it in Year 3 of a 3 year deal when it's been there all along. What is different this year to the previous two that they feel the need to enforce the full blackout length?
Old 21.09.2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31 View Post
Yes - I know that.

My point is, why did they they suddenly enforce it in Year 3 of a 3 year deal when it's been there all along. What is different this year to the previous two that they feel the need to enforce the full blackout length?

So much for growing the game thru SKY huh?
Old 21.09.2011, 05:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers Defense View Post
So much for growing the game thru SKY huh?
What on earth has that got to do with this?
Old 21.09.2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
What on earth has that got to do with this?

Do you think them blacking games out for long-term NFL fans, helps builds the game in this country?

You even asked, why this year?

Why? Maybe it's because they read the small-print, maybe it's because they fear the infinitely superior gamepass?

I dunno.
Old 21.09.2011, 06:01 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers Defense View Post
Do you think them blacking games out for long-term NFL fans, helps builds the game in this country?

You even asked, why this year?

Why? Maybe it's because they read the small-print, maybe it's because they fear the infinitely superior gamepass?

I dunno.
I don't see the correlation, hence my original comment. Sky are still airing the games and Sky is more accessible to new fans.

The blackouts certainly don't do anything for long term fans, I agree, but the problem is that the hardcore long termers will probably still pay, despite not liking or agreeing with such policies.

It's a phrase I have overused on here - why cut off your nose to spite your face? Long term fans will not cut off their access just because they don't like the blackout rule no matter how irritating they find it, because in doing so they will be even worse off anyway. Problem is, these organisations know this and can exploit it.
Old 21.09.2011, 06:06 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean49 View Post
Get Gamepass this season, if Sky ain't gonna show the Dolphins then you don't have to worry about the 6-day blackout. That's why it's good for me
I was going to but got Sky player for free so hard to fork out for it.
Old 21.09.2011, 06:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Sky blacking out games makes no difference to 'growing the game' in this country. Nobody is going to purchase Gamepass unless they are very much into following American Football.
Old 22.09.2011, 07:34 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Yes - I know that.

The difference is that Sky's legal team spotted the clause in the contract and didn't know it wasn't being enforced and hadn't been for the first two years of the contract. I imagine one quick phone call threatening legal action and the situation was resolved. It's all about money in the end, Sky no doubt paid over the odds as they usually do to secure the contract and part of that contract included a 6-day blackout.

Simples.

Last edited by Bean49; 22.09.2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 22.09.2011, 07:37 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
I was going to but got Sky player for free so hard to fork out for it.
Fair enough. Everybody's situation is different. Me I'm more into the US sports than UK sports so ESPN + Gamepass is absolutely ideal and Sky Sports would be a collossal waste of money. Should the 9ers suddenly get a lot of coverage on Sky then I would obviously be less happy but for the moment the 6-day blackout thing isn't really bothering me, other than it being ridiculous. But then that's Sky for you

Tags
black out , blackout , blackouts , game pass , gamepass