Thoughts on this season...and where next... - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 01.01.2013, 12:00 PM
All Pro

Your priorities have to be to sort out the OL, run game and play-calling. Rob Ryan isn't exactly safe as DC and apparently you guys are going to hire an OC to call plays rather than Garrett.
Old 01.01.2013, 01:17 PM
Pro Bowler

Offensive line needs sorting out.

Then we ll have a running game, then Romo wont have to throw every down!!

We have much more pressing needs than Romo.
Old 02.01.2013, 11:39 AM
Team Captain

Offensive line was a major weakness, with or without the injuries. With Spencer and Mike Jenkins likely to be leaving OLB and Corner could also use some depth.

I think it's time to start looking for alternatives at QB both in the draft and free agency but I can't see many upgrades from either route this year.
Old 02.01.2013, 02:05 PM
Pro

Unhappy

Sorry, but in a must win game you must take better care of the ball. Romo threw three picks, not by outstanding defending but terrible passes and this is not good enough. Compare Romo to RG111 and I know who I would rather have. We need to also look at Ryan as DC. He rants and raves and postures a lot on the touchline but I am not convinced he has what it takes at the X's and O's.

But the biggest problem we have is the GM and until Jones reviews his own performance and sacks himself then we will not get their.
Old 02.01.2013, 07:02 PM
Team Captain

I have to agree with those who are sighting Romo as one of the principle problems. I don't think anybody would argue that ultimately the O line is the main problem, because improvement there can help multiple facets of our game that have struggled.

Once the O line situation is addressed, and a much more convincing staffing situation set out (i.e. an OC to relieve Garrett of his stutters and uncertainties), then the team should have much more consistency.

That's where I believe Romo's lack of quality will become more evident. Issues in other areas of the team are to an extent shrouding some of the terrible in-play decisions that he makes. As was pointed out earlier, they aren't mistakes that you see peyton etc making. sunday was the opportunity for an experienced apparently 'quality' qb to display this, and instead he looked like an absolute rookie.

Also, wilson wasn't considered quality last year, i believe there is always quality to be found in any draft.
Old 03.01.2013, 02:06 AM
Team Captain

Romo played a part in that last game. Pretty big part.

In this thread somebody said look at Romo and Griffin... You'd take Griffin... Everybody would. The Colts took Andrew Luck over Peyton Manning. Look back at that game and Griffin only had 100 yards passing.

Again, people are wanting Romo out and get an Elite guy in like Brady, Manning or Rodgers... If it's so easy why aren't more teams doing it? What's also funny is these same people wanting an elite QB last season would bring up Eli and Brees... Neither made the play offs. Brees even led the league in passing but was still only good for a 6-10 finish.

On defense we we're gutted. Injuries killed us.

I'm not making excuses but have some patience. Jerry is always taking heat for sticking his nose in and as now it looks like he is finally giving something time to progress, people don't want it.

You hear it all the time in football - managers getting fired too soon. Chelsea go through 2 a season. lol Let's give it another year. Keep Rob Ryan in place, give him another year where he hasn't lost his entire D. Garrett and Romo aren't going anywhere soon.

As for the draft, I think it has to be OL or DL.
Old 03.01.2013, 09:43 AM
All Pro

OL does need sorting and Romo will be helped greatly by this. I'm no Romo hater but that last pick wasn't anything to do with OL, Injuries or anything else. It was just a flat out terrible play at the most critical time.

We need to strengthen both trenches this off-season. The way we've been pushed around on both fronts by teams like Washington and Seattle is embarrassing and not good enough by far for a Dallas Cowboys team.

Some nice big hitting safeties in this class coming out, shame as i doubt we'll have an early pick to spend on one.
Old 03.01.2013, 11:13 AM
Team Captain

[QUOTE=N_E_V_;1735070]
Again, people are wanting Romo out and get an Elite guy in like Brady, Manning or Rodgers... If it's so easy why aren't more teams doing it? What's also funny is these same people wanting an elite QB last season would bring up Eli and Brees... Neither made the play offs. Brees even led the league in passing but was still only good for a 6-10 finish.

Don't think thats the right way to compare romo to others. The saints and giants both lost games due to other areas of their teams. Eli won another superbowl last year, and didn't make mistakes anywhere near as poor as those romo did. Brees was good all season, not having a head coach and defensive issues let the team down.
Old 03.01.2013, 12:37 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartDixon View Post
Sorry, but in a must win game you must take better care of the ball. Romo threw three picks, not by outstanding defending but terrible passes and this is not good enough. Compare Romo to RG111 and I know who I would rather have. We need to also look at Ryan as DC. He rants and raves and postures a lot on the touchline but I am not convinced he has what it takes at the X's and O's.

But the biggest problem we have is the GM and until Jones reviews his own performance and sacks himself then we will not get their.

Very sohrt sighted comment, I actually have a lot of respect for Jerry Jones, Read his bio "playing to win" its a real eye opener.

Hes a football fan fan 1st and business man second (i know hard to beleive!) he wants nothing more than the cowboys to do well, yes some of his decisions may not be to everyones liking, but hes never going to please everyone, yes he has the final decisions on players but to be fair hes the one that pays their wages!!
Old 03.01.2013, 01:54 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX View Post

Don't think thats the right way to compare romo to others. The saints and giants both lost games due to other areas of their teams. Eli won another superbowl last year, and didn't make mistakes anywhere near as poor as those romo did. Brees was good all season, not having a head coach and defensive issues let the team down.
I'm not comparing Romo to them. I'm pointing out that, that's how other people do it. They want to go to the playoffs and clamor for an elite QB who can take them there, like that's all it takes.

I heard a stat yesterday that said that in every game of the season, Dallas were trailing the game... Only Oakland and KC had a worse % when it comes to being behind in a game.

Is Romo elite? No. But, he is very good.

For all the people wanting Romo out, how would it be done? You get rid of Romo and then what?

It's not as easy as it sounds to get a good QB.