2016 NFL Draft Prospects Discussion Thread - Page 21 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

  #201  
Old 19.01.2016, 01:10 AM
FallenFlyer's Avatar
FallenFlyer FallenFlyer is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.09.2013
Posts: 4,844
Default

Complete list of underclassman entering the 2016 draft

As the total stands, there are 105 potential underclassman with somewhere between 15 and 25 being potential first round picks (mainly depending on the QBs).

Wasn't the new system where the NCAA were only going to allow a certain amount of players get a predicted draft grade supposed to start limiting this?
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 19.01.2016, 09:48 AM
N1CKF5 N1CKF5 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 28.01.2015
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
Wasn't the new system where the NCAA were only going to allow a certain amount of players get a predicted draft grade supposed to start limiting this?
There is- number of players per school who can get a grade is capped, and the grading system has changed to 1st/2nd/return to school
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...classmen-issue)

But it doesn't seem to have changed things (eg. the punter I mentioned last week). Its a shame, because those that dont then get signed to a team (the article says 45 underclass-men where undrafted in 2014, and most went unsigned) have wasted both the chance to improve their draft stock, or to get at least one more year of free university education, which could mean finishing a degree or getting a masters- both incredibly valuable.

One player who I am mildly surprised decided to return for another year is Alabama TE OJ Howard. Looked sick in the National Championship, but if he gets a whole season where he is used as the 2nd receiving option (he had more games with no receptions than 5+ in 2015) he could easily end up in the top 20 picks next year based on some of the hype he has already received.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 19.01.2016, 03:34 PM
duesouth10's Avatar
duesouth10 duesouth10 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 07.11.2008
Posts: 4,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
Wasn't the new system where the NCAA were only going to allow a certain amount of players get a predicted draft grade supposed to start limiting this?
They've been trying to limit it - but some don't care if they aren't drafted - they've had enough of college. Some have the wrong people around them - or are just over confident.

The other factor is agents. Last year Max Valles had told Mike London he was returning - an agent got to him and he changed his mind. Spent most of the year on the Raiders practice squad and then the Bills signed him off of there late in the year. He's got a year of practice squad money in his pocket - but a year more in college would have given him a greater shot of making it long term than a year on a practice squad doing scout team stuff. They need to stop the agents to really stem the tide - but very difficult to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 19.01.2016, 10:55 PM
FallenFlyer's Avatar
FallenFlyer FallenFlyer is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.09.2013
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1CKF5 View Post
There is- number of players per school who can get a grade is capped, and the grading system has changed to 1st/2nd/return to school
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...classmen-issue)

But it doesn't seem to have changed things (eg. the punter I mentioned last week). Its a shame, because those that dont then get signed to a team (the article says 45 underclass-men where undrafted in 2014, and most went unsigned) have wasted both the chance to improve their draft stock, or to get at least one more year of free university education, which could mean finishing a degree or getting a masters- both incredibly valuable.

One player who I am mildly surprised decided to return for another year is Alabama TE OJ Howard. Looked sick in the National Championship, but if he gets a whole season where he is used as the 2nd receiving option (he had more games with no receptions than 5+ in 2015) he could easily end up in the top 20 picks next year based on some of the hype he has already received.
Clearly Saban has promised Howard a much expanded role in 2016. I think he's probably not far off a top 20 pick now with the desperate need at Tight End so he could be looked at as the best wide receiving threat in the draft next year with a stellar performance.

I think the next obvious step is to limit the number of players who can come out early. Maybe have a Junior Bowl where 90 players can be selected from a list of players who put there names forward and only those go through to the draft. (Those not selected not losing their college eligibility).

This would have an important second purpose as we'd get a much better look at those players who are not top 20 calibre against decent opposition which could only help their chances of being drafted.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 19.01.2016, 11:00 PM
FallenFlyer's Avatar
FallenFlyer FallenFlyer is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 06.09.2013
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post
They've been trying to limit it - but some don't care if they aren't drafted - they've had enough of college. Some have the wrong people around them - or are just over confident.

The other factor is agents. Last year Max Valles had told Mike London he was returning - an agent got to him and he changed his mind. Spent most of the year on the Raiders practice squad and then the Bills signed him off of there late in the year. He's got a year of practice squad money in his pocket - but a year more in college would have given him a greater shot of making it long term than a year on a practice squad doing scout team stuff. They need to stop the agents to really stem the tide - but very difficult to do so.
I always wondered why they didn't make it permissible for agents to be attached (but not paid) to someone in their final year. This way, players would be able to come out of their junior year, discuss their prospects with pros and sometimes it would be better for the agents to send them back which gives both parties a better chance of a bigger pay day.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 20.01.2016, 01:36 PM
ADBEARSFAN's Avatar
ADBEARSFAN ADBEARSFAN is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 26.11.2014
Posts: 760
Default

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the names of the players up for this year's Draft.

Scanned through the top 50 and Pharoh (presumably pronounced like Pharaoh) was about the silliest one.

Where are all the Randy Bullocks, D'Brickashaws and Jaquiski Tarrts?
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 20.01.2016, 02:11 PM
Stu_T's Avatar
Stu_T Stu_T is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 25.08.2014
Posts: 9,260
Default

Prince Charles Iworah of Western Kentucky
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 22.01.2016, 08:25 AM
duesouth10's Avatar
duesouth10 duesouth10 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 07.11.2008
Posts: 4,095
Default

Did a little small school work last night.

Victor Ochi - DE/OLB - Stony Brook. Had already done some work on him - did more after reading some positive stuff from Shrine Game week (although has to be said coverage of that event has been awful). Not that tall - but long arms - can use them effectively to keep blockers off his chest. Doesn't rotate out much - when he gets tired he forgets to do this and gets controlled too easily. Not the most flexible guy - again, when tired gets bolt upright and less effective. Good get off, closes well - quite smooth around the edge. Has some pop. Can use his hands well, but not consistent. Against the run miles better as a run and chase guy from the backside - motor is high. When the run is at him - he'll knife inside his man - can make some plays, but will also give up the edge too often. Summary: situational pass rusher from day one - should be better in a rotation where he can be kept fresh. Teams who like length (Pats) will avoid - but mid rounds - possible top 100 with plus workout.

Luke Rhodes - MLB - William and Mary. Looks athletic - not huge, but can move. Looks like a WLB. Very aggressive - works for him (a lot of disruption) but also against as he'll bite hard on misdirection and play fakes. Works hard to get off blocks, but not always successful. Looks comfortable in coverage. Summary: should test well - ideal in an aggressive system on the weakside - could be a 4-3 WILL or 3-4 as long as there's a big D-Line in front of him. Should star on special teams - draftable for sure as you can be fairly confident he'll stick on a roster.

DeAndre Houston-Carson - FS - William and Mary. Quite difficult to judge from TV copy tape as he's off the screen a bunch. Traditional FS - occasional Cover-2 or drop down in the box, but most often single high. Backpedals after the snap - didn't let anything get behind him (first job of a FS). Angles looked good. Gets downhill well and can hit. Liked him, but will do a little more work to piece the puzzle together - he'll be at the Senior Bowl, so if he can do well in man coverage drills his stock should rise.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 22.01.2016, 09:08 PM
duesouth10's Avatar
duesouth10 duesouth10 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 07.11.2008
Posts: 4,095
Default

More small school work tonight. Southern Utah have 3 defensive prospects who could all be drafted.

James Cowser - DE/OLB - have seen high rankings on him, but I didn't think much of him. Three nice dip and rips, but not as explosive as Ochi who I watched yesterday. Stronger than Ochi and I think better against the run - perhaps paired with Ochi they could do the job. Seemed tight in the hips - missed some chances at big plays, just couldn't break down and make the tackle. Not sure he can play in space - not big enough to be a DE. Early down 3-4 set the edge guy. Day 3.

LeShaun Sims - CB - tough to tell - they play a lot of quarters coverage and he wasn't really tested. Good size - but doesn't press - if he's up looking like he might, he always bails. Not physical in terms of tackling or getting off blocks. Size wise fits Sea/Atl/Jax - but not physical enough. Gets his head around to find the ball.

Miles Killebrew - SS - over a slot WR some - but way off the line and in quarters. When they go 5 man nickel they have a single high and he's one of the other 2 safeties off zone. Angles solid enough - but didn't stand out.

Bit of a disappointment really - was expecting more from these three than Ochi - but Ochi the pick of the bunch for me.

Last edited by duesouth10; 22.01.2016 at 09:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 23.01.2016, 10:26 PM
Stu_T's Avatar
Stu_T Stu_T is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 25.08.2014
Posts: 9,260
Default

Sounds like Vernon Adams is killing the shrine game. I really hope someone takes a flyer on him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 02:53 PM.