Ties - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 21.10.2018, 08:36 PM
All Pro

Default Ties

Absolutely SUCK.

Overtime should be played until there’s a winner, like in Ice Hockey.
Old 21.10.2018, 09:03 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by durham_raider View Post
Absolutely SUCK.

Agree. I find having OT yet allowing it to end in a tie after 10 minutes absolutely baffling. Either it's a tie after 60 mins, or you keep playing until someone wins.

I also hate the tie column in the win-loss record. We've got this X-Y-1 all season now!

One idea I had was to stop recording losses and only record wins. So instead of 4-2, you either say just "4 wins", or "4 of 6". The implication being that if a game does end in a tie, then both teams basically lose, because neither is awarded a win. If that were the case you can bet you'd get no more conservative calls, because you'd have nothing to lose in going for the win over settling for a tie, since a tie is basically a loss.

I certainly won't criticise Vrabel for going for 2 today. Anyone who does deserves the conservative coaches most so often lament.
Old 22.10.2018, 05:03 PM
Pro Bowler

Dont like ties but can understand there not being continuous sudden death like college. Stat padding plus potentially having an multiple OT game on a short week cos the the league has the monstrosity that is thursday night football.

They cut OT to 10mins to minimize injuries plus give teams an incentive to "go for it" but imo that loss of 5 mins has caused teams to rush plays. Since it got shortened weve had more ties than the previous 15 or so years.

I was with Vrabels call for 2 yesterday. Theyd clawed themselves back into it. Thought Marcus had got there for the TD initially and they the Charger D on the back foot.
Wasnt a good play call for the 2 pt attempt though but what cost them the game was the number of drops they had throughout the game.

Did anyone else think that the illegal forward pass the Titans got called for actually went sideways/backwards? Me and my mate were certain it did, even after the replay.
Old 22.10.2018, 05:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfcBOli27 View Post
Did anyone else think that the illegal forward pass the Titans got called for actually went sideways/backwards? Me and my mate were certain it did, even after the replay.
Looked more of a lateral than the Music City Miracle. Mariota was running forward during and after releasing the ball, which may have made it look like a lateral, but the replays showed he let it go short of the 40 yard line and the receiver caught it right on the 40.
Old 22.10.2018, 05:49 PM
MVP

Quote:
Dont like ties but can understand there not being continuous sudden death like college. Stat padding plus potentially having an multiple OT game on a short week cos the the league has the monstrosity that is thursday night football.

They cut OT to 10mins to minimize injuries plus give teams an incentive to "go for it" but imo that loss of 5 mins has caused teams to rush plays. Since it got shortened weve had more ties than the previous 15 or so years.

I was with Vrabels call for 2 yesterday. Theyd clawed themselves back into it. Thought Marcus had got there for the TD initially and they the Charger D on the back foot.
Wasnt a good play call for the 2 pt attempt though but what cost them the game was the number of drops they had throughout the game.

College football overtime isn't like NFL overtime though. You start at your opponent's 25 yard line. And because college football defenses are mostly rubbish you get quadruple OT because it's too easy to score.

I would advocate the NFL adapting the college method, but perhaps make each drive start at the 50 rather than the defense's 25 yard line. That way you have a reasonable chance to score a touchdown, and would need to move the ball about 10 yards to get a long field goal shot (58 yards) or say 25 yards for medium-range 43 yard kick. A TD drive is definitely possible starting at the 50, but equally it's not a given like in college. And you make it sudden death, round for round. I don't like that you can win in OT with a TD now before your opponent even gets the ball.
Old 22.10.2018, 06:01 PM
GOAT

Quote:

i have no issue with draws, its part of the game and OT is just a chance to avoid it rather than to kill them.

i didnt like the call for the 2 pointer, it was an important game and they clearly didnt have the killer play for it. apart from the 2 big plays they had held the Chargers in check pretty well, so could of gotten the W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Looked more of a lateral than the Music City Miracle. Mariota was running forward during and after releasing the ball, which may have made it look like a lateral, but the replays showed he let it go short of the 40 yard line and the receiver caught it right on the 40.

it was really odd because he clearly threw it backwards but because the play was in motion it gained a yard, so i guess thats the part that mattered because they didnt challenge it either.
Old 22.10.2018, 06:18 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Absolutely SUCK.

I've always thought it was a good idea that come the end of the season, ties would naturally be a good tiebreaker. As opposed to some of the more complicated tiebreakers the NFL currently uses.

Completely agree that if you're going to have OT, there should be a winner. Seems a waste of time to add an extra period and then if it's still level, decide it's a draw after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
I also hate the tie column in the win-loss record. We've got this X-Y-1 all season now!
I can relate to this! There's something displeasing about looking through the standings and two or more teams have that extra "-1" column!

Another thing I don't like, or indeed understand, is the rule that a team can win the toss, score on the first drive of overtime and that gets them the win without the other team allowed a chance to reply.
Old 22.10.2018, 06:46 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Absolutely SUCK.

well regular season ice hockey does in a away have ties and changes the rules after a short extra period(not even close to the normal 20 minute period and think its 4 on 4) both teams get a point before the shoot out so the penalty's are just about a bonus point.

the NFL rules are fine,it was broken when a field goal could win the game on the 1st possession but liked TD only wins the game change and not sure if the 10 minute extra period will make it easier on players but we have had some great/crazy finishes so its not broken.
Old 22.10.2018, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I like the new rules they introduced a few years ago for overtime but I think reducing the time from 15 mins to 10 mins was a bit too far if both teams have possession. Perhaps they should’ve tried 12 mins to start with.
Old 22.10.2018, 07:43 PM
Pro Bowler

Maybe they should go the College route?