Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 03.08.2005, 09:54 AM
All Pro

Default Re:Da Bears - The Monsters of Midway Thread

Azumah injured & needs surgery >
Old 03.08.2005, 11:32 AM
All Pro

[quote author=flea link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=765#msg264603 date=1123062870]
Azumah injured & needs surgery >
[/quote]

>

heres the story on bears.com

Azumah seeking second opinion on ailing hip
Old 04.08.2005, 02:24 AM
All Pro

Azumah out 3-4 weeks following hip surgery

should be back for the season opener which is excellent news ;D
Old 04.08.2005, 08:39 PM
Team Captain

See their is still no movement with Benson, with Angelo quoted as saying his agent says their offer is too low and the Bears saying he is asking too much! Wish they could get it sorted, he's missed a hell of a lot of camp now, I think their is no way he will start No.1 now.
Old 05.08.2005, 05:22 PM
Team Captain

Will the game against the fish be shown anywhere over here, highlights, anything, something - anybody know ?
Old 07.08.2005, 09:27 AM
All Pro

Unfortunately I don't think so :'( :'( :'( :'(
Old 07.08.2005, 07:02 PM
Team Captain

bummer ... > >
Old 07.08.2005, 07:44 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Swap watch: Ogunleye-Booker trade revisited

August 7, 2005

BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter Advertisement

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- While making his way through O'Hare, Adewale Ogunleye realized a lot would be expected of him.

The fans kept reminding him of their fondness for Marty Booker, whom the Bears traded to Miami for Ogunleye.

In South Florida, Booker suffered a similar fate. Ogunleye also had become a fan favorite after leading the AFC in sacks as a Dolphin in 2003.

For a variety of reasons, neither player lived up to his billing last season, and almost a year removed from the surprising deal, they will meet Monday in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio.

The Bears didn't want to trade Booker, but Miami wanted nothing to do with the package of receiver David Terrell and running back Anthony Thomas. They also threw in a third-round pick, which the Dolphins used to select linebacker Channing Crowder.

The feeling in the Bears' front office is that defensive ends are harder to find than receivers, and the Bears upgraded over Booker with the offseason signing of Muhsin Muhammad. It's too early, however, for a final evaluation.

Ogunleye received the contract his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, promised by holding out from the Dolphins, and Booker was forced to leave the only place he wanted to be, a home where he had become a favorite and was the only reliable offensive contributor for a three-year span. With a $33.4 million contract, including $15 million in bonus money, Ogunleye was ecstatic. Booker was stunned, saying hours after the trade: "I am hurt. I gave so much to this franchise. The Bears have done so much for me. All of a sudden, they don't want me.''

Both are seeking a new start in their respective cities. Ogunleye is out to cement his status as an elite pass rusher, and Booker has visions of finally shedding the possession-receiver tag that has followed him like an unwanted stray for so long. He might not be comfortable in new Dolphins coach Nick Saban's regime, but he's not alone in that group, and he knows the capabilities of the offense run by former Vikings coordinator Scott Linehan.

"Training camp has been tough,'' Booker said. "I was used to the chill mode.''

Ogunleye doesn't classify last season as a failure, and he shouldn't. His mysterious lower right leg injury, which led to surgery on his right ankle, robbed him of his explosiveness from his stance. He still had five sacks in 12 games and was exactly the player coach Lovie Smith envisioned at left end in Week 3 at Minnesota when he had a sack and two forced fumbles. On a bum leg he had 1-1/2 sacks, forcing a fumble in overtime, then landing on Fred Miller, a teammate this season, in the end zone for a game-winning safety at Tennessee.

"Besides the injury, I think I was still able to go out there and do a lot of the things I wanted to do,'' Ogunleye said. "I just got pulled back by the injury. Personally, I loved the trade.''

Booker, who received a seven-year, $28 million deal from the Bears in '02, had to learn a new offense on the fly and play with more lousy quarterbacks, one of the stories of his career. He had only 50 catches and one touchdown, numbers more befitting Dez White. As tumultuous as it was near the end of '03 during Díck Jauron's last stand, the atmosphere in Miami was worse with a coaching change in midseason.

"It was pretty bad,'' he said. "It takes the fun out of football.''

While rehabilitating in the offseason, Ogunleye was able to get more familiar with his new surroundings. He loved Miami and still has a residence there but bought a home in Vernon Hills as well as a townhouse in the city.

"I've probably eaten at every restaurant downtown, which was not good because I had to bust my butt to lose the weight,'' he said. "I don't like to compare cities, but for my profession, this city is the city. To play football in Chicago, I don't think there is any better place. If we would win, once we start winning, we're going to walk around here like we are mayors.''

Booker has his family with him in Miami but recently built a home in Houston. Once the season ended, he was able to take some time and clear his mind. He's only 29 and two years removed from a stretch in which he had 197 receptions and 14 touchdowns in two seasons. That was in John Shoop's offense.

He stopped in Halas Hall two months ago, and general manager Jerry Angelo pulled him into his office for a chat. His departure was abrupt with Smith informing him in the team hotel before the preseason game with San Francisco. Angelo wanted to make sure their relationship was fine. It was a smart move, considering there were rumors Booker, set to earn $2.9 million this season, would be let go.

Booker wanted to speak with Angelo, too, because other rumors circulated that he had run down his former boss.

"I did most of the listening,'' Booker said. "We made it clear there were no hard feelings. I heard that it was out there that I had cursed him out. We squashed all that.''

Said Angelo: "I felt for Marty. His family was settled here, and they really enjoyed the area. We not only bought into him as a player, we bought into him as a person. Marty is a Cadillac. Sure, he's going to feel some anger and be upset. I'm not going to take it personally, especially when emotions are running through the highs and lows, and it's certainly not indicative of his character because he is a class act.''

Having been able to study the Bears' defense for a year, Ogunleye is in better position to succeed even though he had to sit out the spring program. He didn't have the benefit of training camp last summer but came in in good shape. The biggest key was learning how he fits in the scheme and how he can work off of those around him.

"I know Tommie [Harris] is usually going to try to blow the gap, and I might be able to come up under him a little faster than I would Ian [Scott],'' he said. "It's that type of thing that you pick up when you are around your teammates.''

Most of the time, Ogunleye is lined up next to Harris, and they present a formidable duo for the right side of an offensive line.

"Wale is a deceptive guy,'' said Miller, who had plenty of battles with him before last season. "You look at him, and you don't think he is as strong as he is. He has deceptive strength and speed. He has a big inside arm that he tries to hit you with and go inside. He's a great defensive end.''

Booker figures to be a part of a talented receiving corps with Chris Chambers and David Boston, who is healthy. The question is whether Gus Frerotte or A.J. Feeley can get them the ball.

"I have played with over 20 different quarterbacks,'' he said. "It doesn't matter who is throwing the ball. I've seen what [Randy Moss] did in this offense. [Linehan] pushes the ball downfield. That gives me a chance to make more big plays, the thing I've been trying to do for the longest time.''

Smith and defensive coordinator Ron Rivera have talked about Ogunleye being in double digits in sacks. He'd be the first pure end to do it for the Bears since Richard Dent in 1993. He'd also create a world of opportunities for Harris and right end Alex Brown. Angelo has always been a big believer that a great defense starts up front, and this is likely the best line he has had in five seasons.

"I would say both teams are pleased,'' Smith said. "It's worked out for both parties as I see it. We couldn't be more pleased with Wale on our team.''

Both know there is something to prove.

"When I was going through the airport, these people told me, 'We loved Marty,''' Ogunleye said. "'You've got to come through for us.' This year, hopefully I'll get it done.''
Old 08.08.2005, 11:29 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Its not so meaningless...

By John Mullin
Tribune staff reporter

August 7, 2005, 9:47 PM CDT

CANTON, Ohio -- NFL exhibition games don't matter, and many players and coaches would love to get rid of a couple. But when the Bears face the Miami Dolphins on Monday night in the Hall of Fame Game, five things decidedly will matter in a game that otherwise doesn't.

Another attempt to start the Rex Grossman era

In effect, Grossman is less than halfway through his "rookie season." He has had only six starts, and two were marred by significant injuries. So every time he steps onto the field is significant as he tries to avoid being labeled injury-prone. At some point Monday night, he will take a hit. Ideally, his confidence will survive it.

More importantly, perhaps, Grossman must prove he can ignite the offense and win. His comfort level with new coordinator Ron Turner's plan is critical, but equally crucial is the rest of the huddle's belief in him. That respect doesn't simply come with the job. Grossman must establish it, and that starts now.

Nathan Vasher's big chance

Jerry Azumah already was getting serious competition from Vasher for the No. 2 cornerback position before Azumah underwent hip surgery Wednesday. Vasher intercepted five passes last season as a rookie, tying for eighth in the NFL, and might be a better pure cover corner than Azumah.

Sports code is that players do not lose jobs because of injury. But they certainly can lose them when their replacements play better than they do. Azumah will be out several weeks. He's in a contract year, so he'll be motivated. Now is Vasher's best opportunity to win the starting job.

Depth-charting

Reserves will get the bulk of the work Monday. As last season proved, they may play key roles later on. The Bears are due for some good injury luck, but if they don't get it, the talent down the depth chart will be the difference between survival and collapse.

The Bears are counting on Roberto Garza to be a quality backup at center and guard and for Marc Colombo to give them security at tackle, along with Steve Edwards. They need more than Lance Briggs, Hunter Hillenmeyer and Brian Urlacher in their linebacking corps.

Something special?

The Bears decided kicker Doug Brien was an upgrade over Paul Edinger. They want not only improved field-goal accuracy but also deeper kickoffs. Practices can be misleading; games are revealing.

They also cut their punt returner, R.W. McQuarters, and are counting on Azumah to come back whole from surgery. McQuarters won his return job in the exhibition season; the Bears need Bernard Berrian, Rashied Davis, Eddie Berlin, Bobby Wade or someone else to do that again. They also want a kickoff returner to emerge. Special teams will decide several roster spots. Watch kick coverage to spot surprise names that will be around after final cuts.

Catching on

Muhsin Muhammad's 16 touchdowns last year for Carolina were twice his previous career best, and his 1,405 yards were a career high. He could hit those heights again, and no Bears receiver has reached those marks. The Bears need something approaching that production, but they also need someone else to emerge.

The Bears invested a second-round draft pick in Mark Bradley. If he, Berrian, Wade, Berlin, Justin Gage or someone else cannot emerge as a complementary threat opposite Muhammad, defenses will double-team Muhammad, gang up on the running backs and make Turner's new offense look depressingly like the old ones.
oh and to repeat again if anyone manages to find a radio link don't forget to post it! what time does it start? 1am?
Old 09.08.2005, 10:40 AM
MVP

When are you signing your boy Benson?

I think its delaying us getting our boy Braylon!