Should I support the Chargers - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Chargers

Old 03.07.2013, 08:30 PM
Team Captain

Default Should I support the Chargers

Alright everyone. I have a topic on the new to the NFL part of the forum where I am getting peoples suggestions on teams to support. The Chargers have been mentioned to me as I support WBA who play in blue and white, I hate teams in orange and black and this matches to the Chargers I've been told? Are there many Chargers fans on here? What is the area like to visit for anyone who has been and what type of team are the Chargers?
Sorry for the questions and thanks for any reply's
Old 03.07.2013, 10:17 PM
All Pro

Hi and welcome. From a colour perspective, I suppose you've got it pretty spot on; SD play in navy and white with 'gold' (= yellow) bolts. Twice per year, they put on the much loved alternates, a kindof half-throwback, which are a lighter 'powder' blue, and not so long ago voted the best kits in the NFL.

As for rivalries, the greatest is probably Oakland in black and silver; although Denver probably more so in recent years, now back in the traditional orange; and KC in red, the other divisional rivals. So tick there, I suppose.

The Chargers were an original AFL formation team in 1960, and have a strong history of running exciting, pass heavy offenses with an emphasis on stretching the field with the deep ball. The team has been one of the dominant teams in the NFL probably during three periods: in the 60s under 'father of the modern passing game' Sid Gillman; during the late 70s and 80s under another legendary coach in Don Coryell; and to a lesser degree, during the mid to late 2000s. Of course, the playstyle of every team varies from year to year, coach to coach, and roster to roster, and with a new head coach and offensive coordinator, we're not entirely clear what the direction of team will be in the years to come.

However, we've only made the superbowl once, and have never won it. Again, that might or might not be a good thing for you.

Depending upon your taste, we're probably a good team to be supporting now; having come down from a period of being one of the strongest teams in the NFL, the team is in a transition phase, with a fairly average roster, but two young and much hyped newcomers at head coach and general manager, and an almost completely new offensive coaching staff. We have an excellent QB in Philip Rivers to build around, and while the team probably won't be able to compete for a superbowl in the near future, they are in a good position build up to that point. Basically we're still a reasonably 'left field' choice and you certainly couldn't be labelled a glory supporter; but (unless something goes tragically wrong this year) neither are we so bad that you'll be inflicting lots of 4-12 shaped pain upon yourself.

I'd say there's a smallish but very active group of us on the Chargers boards, so you wouldn't be lacking in people to chat to here.

San Diego is a beautiful, relaxed city on the southern-most coast of California, blessed with blue skies and 20* weather most of the year round and is generally a great place to visit. Obviously it depends upon your tastes, but there's no shortage of things to do; gaslamp quarter for the nightlife; Seaworld/wild animal park/zoo for the kids; beaches and surfing; Walks around balboa park, along the coast; good seafood, good Baja mexican food; etc etc. It's also well placed to be worked into a longer trip including Vegas, Frisco, or if you absolutely must, LA.

As for other teams, the Padres (MLB NL) play in downtown but are pretty rubbish at the moment. San Diego state are a fair Division 1A college football team, although I've no idea how easy tickets are to get. Anaheim and LA are about 2 hours up the I5, so that adds, off the top of my head, the Dodgers and Angels; Clippers and Lakers; Ducks and Kings; LA Galaxy; UCLA bruins and USC Trojans; and whichever NFL team ends up at Farmers field.

Last edited by Andyf; 03.07.2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04.07.2013, 12:08 PM
MVP

We're certainly one of if not the most active team thread on this forum. It may not seem like it now simply as theres not alot of NFL related material until training camp opens but once we get in full flow, the charger section must have what, 10 regulars?

As for SD, Andy has covered it really. Ive been there twice myself to watch 3 games, loved it. I have friends out there now too, who I met through this section on this forum.

not for 1 second have i regretted becoming a charger and im sure you wont either.....if you decide your future is with us
Old 04.07.2013, 02:04 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wba1990 View Post
I hate teams in orange and black
The Chargers are a perfect fit for you then! haha. Hate is entirely the right word when it comes down to the Chargers/Raiders rivalry
Old 04.07.2013, 06:22 PM
Team Captain

Thanks for the feedback - been an interesting read, and thanks Andyf for the very detailed feedback! One of the things I would like to see is fellow fans using this site so at least I could talk to someone about the games as none of my mates watch NFL!
Old 04.07.2013, 07:27 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wba1990 View Post
Thanks for the feedback - been an interesting read, and thanks Andyf for the very detailed feedback! One of the things I would like to see is fellow fans using this site so at least I could talk to someone about the games as none of my mates watch NFL!
I think you are pretty much guaranteed that on here. You just have to look at the post count of the '32 NFL Teams' Sub Sections to see the amount of support for the Chargers on here, despite their relatively small support in the US.