New York Jets Thread - Page 777 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 10.12.2017, 07:15 PM
Pro

Pure pre game random qb thought.

Bowles and co have helped 2x vets in Fitzpatrick and McCown to reach careers years. What would happen if we upgraded the 'vet' next year. Say we took a punt on Eli or say Rivers or even Brees for a year. Clearly a notch up from McCown and possibly even younger. What could we do then with a young and improving squad.
Sponsored Links
Old 11.12.2017, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Well, that was embarrassing!

Think we can take 5-11 to the bank. 3 brutal games left and no Josh. Whoever the QB is next season, we have to overhaul the OL. It's a complete shambles...
Old 11.12.2017, 06:17 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Well, that was embarrassing!

Think we can take 5-11 to the bank. 3 brutal games left and no Josh. Whoever the QB is next season, we have to overhaul the OL. It's a complete shambles...
A fair and accurate assessment.
Old 11.12.2017, 11:51 AM
All Pro

Not one single redeeming feature about any aspect of the game, unless you're prepared to say the backup TE/reserve long snapper not totally botching a punt snap that is. He'd gotten plenty of practice by the fourth quarter though, so I'm not even sure you could count that by the end of the game!

The Broncos were never anywhere near as bad as painted, but they made the Jets look like they weren't trying. It all started on the first set of 3 of the game. Got a struggling side into a third and 6 then Wilkerson gave up a needless offsides penalty. Just pure ill discipline. Not playing hard and aggressive, just dumb. It all snowballed from there. Spotted a struggling team a 10 point start away from home within 5 minutes and there's only one winner then.

This is still a poor team lacking genuine talent at most key positions. Winning 5 games is an accomplishment of sorts. A QB and few OL additions might make them mediocre.
Old 11.12.2017, 03:26 PM
Starter

Was poor yesterday but yesterday may actually help us in the offseason as with McCown out Petty/Hack have to get an outing in the last 3 games which given I think it is safe to say both don't remain with us next season gives both, fans and coaches game action to assess performance and given the tough finish if and its a big IF one of them shapes like they do have what it takes to be a starting NFL QB then we at least don't have to go silly with any trades and arguably go BPA
Old 11.12.2017, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-e-t-s12 View Post
Pure pre game random qb thought.

Bowles and co have helped 2x vets in Fitzpatrick and McCown to reach careers years. What would happen if we upgraded the 'vet' next year. Say we took a punt on Eli or say Rivers or even Brees for a year. Clearly a notch up from McCown and possibly even younger. What could we do then with a young and improving squad.
I'm not a huge fan tbh. I think Eli's done at this point, and we're far more than one player away from contending at any rate, as great as having a big name like Brees or Rivers would be.

Gutted for McCown last night. He clearly loves playing for this team, and you could see how disappointed he was at having his season cut short. If we do Draft a QB next year, keeping him on is a no-brainer. Great team player, and he'd be a great help to whoever we brought in...
Old 11.12.2017, 04:53 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
I'm not a huge fan tbh. I think Eli's done at this point, and we're far more than one player away from contending at any rate, as great as having a big name like Brees or Rivers would be.

Gutted for McCown last night. He clearly loves playing for this team, and you could see how disappointed he was at having his season cut short. If we do Draft a QB next year, keeping him on is a no-brainer. Great team player, and he'd be a great help to whoever we brought in...
Agree on Eli. I think the vet QB resurgence we've seen twice with Bowles is far more right player, right scheme, right supporting cast than anything else. I don't think he's a good fit at all for Morton's O and no guarantee he's going to get as much out of this team as McCown has done. He's nowhere near as mobile for a start.

I also agree on McCown. I'd go a bit further - the only role he could possibly have is as back up to first round draftee who is the de facto starter. No competition between him, another vet, a later round pick or even Hack/Petty.