ProTour Cycling Thread - Page 503 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 13.06.2019, 10:10 PM
MVP

By way of consolation, Froome may just have won the 2011 Vuelta a EspaƱa. Juan Jose Cobo, whose win was a surprise and to me always quite suspicious at the time, now looks to have been rumbled for biological passport irregularities between 2009 and 2011. This is presumably because the science testing is more advanced in 2019 than it was in 2011. Froome was 2nd at just 13 seconds and would therefore become the winner if Cobo is disqualified; Wiggins would move up to 2nd and Bauke Mollema would get onto the podium.

All feels a bit empty years down the line though. It's not the same getting your red jersey 8 years after rather than on the podium in Madrid with the crowd there.
Old 22.06.2019, 09:38 AM
Pro Bowler

Any news on how Thomas is after his crash on the tour of Switzerland?

Has anyone setup (or is planning on setting up) a TdF fantasy game this year?
Old 22.06.2019, 10:01 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar Raider View Post
Any news on how Thomas is after his crash on the tour of Switzerland?

Has anyone setup (or is planning on setting up) a TdF fantasy game this year?
Seems he was lucky with just cuts and bruises. I usually do a league on velogames.com, which should be up and running again after the Tour shut it down last year over legal issues. Will set one up when entries open.
Old 22.06.2019, 03:43 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Seems he was lucky with just cuts and bruises. I usually do a league on velogames.com, which should be up and running again after the Tour shut it down last year over legal issues. Will set one up when entries open.
Good news on both fronts, better see if I can remember my velogames login.
Old 02.07.2019, 08:18 AM
MVP

Looks like no velogames comp for the TdF this year either.
https://www.velogames.com
Old 02.07.2019, 11:20 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Looks like no velogames comp for the TdF this year either.
https://www.velogames.com
Corporate TdF spoiling our fun!
Old 18.07.2019, 10:19 AM
MVP

Decent TdF so far, looks like Ineos are at it again with Thomas and Bernal, but hopefully Alaphilippe can keep it going to make a scrap of it. Hilly bits to come but can't see the likes of Pinot and Quintana making up the time they lost when the crosswinds hit.

Also, Chris Froome has been awarded the 2011 Vuelta after the original winner was done for doping. Makes him the first British winner of a Grand Tour, preceding Bradley Wiggins' 2012 TdF and puts him fourth on the list of total Grand Tour wins with seven.
Old 18.07.2019, 08:32 PM
Hall of Fame

Rohan Dennis apparently quit the Tour today. I think he was someone Adam Yates had as a guy to watch for tomorrows Time Trial too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/49039055
Old 20.07.2019, 08:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Decent TdF so far, looks like Ineos are at it again with Thomas and Bernal, but hopefully Alaphilippe can keep it going to make a scrap of it. Hilly bits to come but can't see the likes of Pinot and Quintana making up the time they lost when the crosswinds hit.
Didn't see this before now but I would have written that Quintana is a busted flush. He's not been right so over 2 years now and I sold my stock in him some time ago and had no faith in him here. Bernal is the Colombian to watch now. And so it proved today - Quintana lost close to 3:30 and he is out of it. He is leaving Movistar for Arkea next year on a 3-year deal and I'm not surprised Movistar didn't fight hard to keep him.

Alaphilippe is very unexpected. OK he has been great all season but those are very different kinds of races. Before today his best finish on a stage ending at over 2000m altitude was nearly 15min down on the day's winner. Plus he won the TT. Personally I still expect him to blow in the Alps like Simon Yates did at last year's Giro and lose a stack of time, but if he carries on like this he will win. Makes a change from Ineos/Sky anyway... after the echelon day it was looking like a formality and the only question was whether Thomas or Bernal won. Now we have a more open race, but it's a shame Pinot and Uran in particular lost that 1 min 40 on the windy stage... they could come to rue that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Rohan Dennis apparently quit the Tour today. I think he was someone Adam Yates had as a guy to watch for tomorrows Time Trial too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/49039055
Something odd going on there. A major bust up, I reckon. Dennis is by all accounts a pretty spikey character who gets angry at things quite easily, while Bahrain Merida is a team in chaos a bit. Dennis is new there and I don't think he'll be sticking around. There's a lot of upheaval in management. Nibali has already announced he is off next year and I bet he'll take most of the Italian contingent with him (Pozzovivo, Caruso etc). It's a weird team with several factions as well - there is an Italian-speaking group and a Slovene/Croatian group, and the two don't seem to get on particularly well. And no doubt those relations only got worse after the doping issues in the Slovene/Croatian group earlier this year coming out of Operation Aderlass. Rod Ellingworth is coming in next year (or is there now maybe) and supposedly McLaren are coming on board too and I think next year's team will barely resemble this year's.... expect a cleaning house of riders or management or both.
Old 24.07.2019, 07:58 PM
MVP

Looked very harsh to chuck Rowe and Martin off the tour for that. But maybe there was more to it and we didn't get to see the whole thing.