What's happened to the NFC East? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 24.09.2013, 05:24 PM
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to liamjenkins Send a message via Yahoo to liamjenkins
Default What's happened to the NFC East?

Hey everyone! So week 3 has passed and only one team in one of the most competitive divisions in the league took a victory. But why is this happening? On paper this should be one of the most fierecely contested seasons in years with the new Eagles Offence, the return of RGIII, the ever impressive (well, until this year) Eli Manning and the Cowboys.
Instead we have seen sloppy offence, too many penalties, the Eagles resorting back to the "Vick Picks" and more turnovers than the amount of snaps the Eagles made in their first game against the Redskins.

I wrote a short article on it here but was just wondering what you guys thought and if there is a way back for the three teams in the coming weeks then what exactly needs to be done? One team is guarenteed a week 5 in as the Eagles face the Giants but does the NFC East have what it takes to stop the Cowboys running away or will the simply slump to more losses?

http://liamjenkinssport.blogspot.co....east-nfls.html

P.S feedback on the article would be much appreciated

Liam
Old 24.09.2013, 05:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Nothing. It's been trending this way the last two years.

The Skins were the 4th playoff seed in the NFC last year due to winning their division (lowest of the division winners) but probably 9th overall.

The Giants were the 4th playoff seed in the NFC in 2011 due to winning their division (lowest of the division winners) but probably lowest overall seed with a 9-7 record.
Old 24.09.2013, 05:54 PM
Rookie

But the Giants last season didn't have their worst start to a year since 1996. Thing is that they're such a big team and are expected to perform and make the playoffs every year but when they don't they get hammered I think.
Old 24.09.2013, 05:56 PM
All Pro

The East could look a lot worse after week 5... Dallas has to go to San Diego and the hosts Denver, so we will do well to go 1-1 in those games.
Things will turn around quite quickly in terms of how competitive the division is against the others though the overall win records of the teams in the East are likely to stay quite low as they are so evenly matched, no team is likely to sweep the division.
Old 24.09.2013, 05:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Giants are minus 9 in takeaway differential. You don't win games like that.
Old 24.09.2013, 05:59 PM
Rookie

I agree Neath. I think the Redskins are in a rut at the moment and as soon as things look to improve there is a big turnover or mistake. If the Eagles go into New York after somehow defeating Denver then I think we have a race on our hands, otherwise I have a feeling there will be no competition for Dallas.
Old 24.09.2013, 06:30 PM
All Pro

Dallas are not going to run away with the division... They may be favourites for it right now, but things could change very quickly in the next few weeks.
I think 9-7 will win the division, maybe 10-6, but I don't see a dominant team coming from here this year.
Old 24.09.2013, 06:47 PM
MVP

Its only competitive in the fact that all 4 teams are equally as average as the other. When the NFC West was considered the worst division in football. it still had a fiercely competitive feel as all teams could beat each other on any day. A bit like the NFC East now.
You may be able to beat each other. but you don't worry many other teams like you have in previous years.

It doesn't help that the media build up the hype about the teams in the division. It just highlights how far from that perception reality is.
Old 24.09.2013, 07:23 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
Its only competitive in the fact that all 4 teams are equally as average as the other. When the NFC West was considered the worst division in football. it still had a fiercely competitive feel as all teams could beat each other on any day. A bit like the NFC East now.
You may be able to beat each other. but you don't worry many other teams like you have in previous years.

It doesn't help that the media build up the hype about the teams in the division. It just highlights how far from that perception reality is.
You're still bitter because you were kicked out
Old 24.09.2013, 07:30 PM
Starter

Despite the start, I'd still put the Giants up with the Cowboys as mid level teams and the other two a bit further back.

Don't really see any of them making much noise this season though.

Tags
cowboys , eagles , giants , nfc east , redskins