What's happened to the NFC East? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 24.09.2013, 07:45 PM
All Pro

They really need to stop showing these teams on SNF, they don't deserve the attention. Pity the 5th seed in the NFC who has to travel to the stadium of one of these pretty (ordinary) teams.

Redskins - RGIII injury and teams getting wise to read option. Still my pick for the Divisional crown (as unlikely as that seems).

Giants - totally inflexible coordinators, predictable play calling and very ordinary personnel in both lines & linebackers. Eli needs a ground game, I can't see them finding one anywhere, anytime soon. It's not hiding down the back of the sofa.

Cowboys - Jerry and Jason. Their schedule seems together than the rest to me from here on in.

Eagles - early days for a new setup and a lot to learn. I don't rate them at all either, but the division is so ordinary that if they can make modest improvements week on week they could clinch the East.

The Division generally doesn't have too hard a schedule this season so someone might break .500, but don't hold your breath.

PS - calling the Giants a "dynasty" is a good way to noise up some fans around here. I approve!
Old 24.09.2013, 07:58 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce ma Goose View Post
They really need to stop showing these teams on SNF, they don't deserve the attention. Pity the 5th seed in the NFC who has to travel to the stadium of one of these pretty (ordinary) teams.

Redskins - RGIII injury and teams getting wise to read option. Still my pick for the Divisional crown (as unlikely as that seems).

Giants - totally inflexible coordinators, predictable play calling and very ordinary personnel in both lines & linebackers. Eli needs a ground game, I can't see them finding one anywhere, anytime soon. It's not hiding down the back of the sofa.

Cowboys - Jerry and Jason. Their schedule seems together than the rest to me from here on in.

Eagles - early days for a new setup and a lot to learn. I don't rate them at all either, but the division is so ordinary that if they can make modest improvements week on week they could clinch the East.

The Division generally doesn't have too hard a schedule this season so someone might break .500, but don't hold your breath.

PS - calling the Giants a "dynasty" is a good way to noise up some fans around here. I approve!
Skins has got nothing to do with the read option. You can be wise to it and still not stop it. More teams are running it than fewer.

The Redskins have stopped running the read option.

RG3 is not the same player, and Kyle Shanahan isn't calling the read option due to the fact that RG3's knee is not even close to being back to its natural state (and it might not ever be). The major issue is, he is just running the same offense with the read option part (which set up a whole lot more last season) taken out. It's a mess. People like Reynolds are banging on about the defense but they spend so much time on the field its not even funny. Yes the pass defense is really, really poor, but the major issues with this team start with the offense. Ignore all the trash time yards and points.

Skins will finish 4-12, 5-11 maybe.
Old 24.09.2013, 08:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 chip View Post
Skins has got nothing to do with the read option. You can be wise to it and still not stop it. More teams are running it than fewer.

The Redskins have stopped running the read option.

RG3 is not the same player, and Kyle Shanahan isn't calling the read option due to the fact that RG3's knee is not even close to being back to its natural state (and it might not ever be). The major issue is, he is just running the same offense with the read option part (which set up a whole lot more last season) taken out. It's a mess. People like Reynolds are banging on about the defense but they spend so much time on the field its not even funny. Yes the pass defense is really, really poor, but the major issues with this team start with the offense. Ignore all the trash time yards and points.

Skins will finish 4-12, 5-11 maybe.
Thank you. I'm getting tired of everyone spouting this: "read option is solved" refrain.

It will forever be a weapon because the D will forever have only 11 men on the field.

That added offensive weapon for the O doesn't get "solved" overnight.

You can frustrate it, you can slow it down for awhile during a game but it will always have that potential for the homerun play.

The reason people think it's been solved is because it was over-hyped last year. It was a wrinkle - not a mainstay primary offense.

RGIII apparently went to his coaches and said...I'm not running the read option this year - I want to be Peyton Manning. Approximately.

Like you said, the Skins moved away from it. Shady McCoy for the Eagles was doing just fine the first few weeks in the read option.

With RGIII returning to injury...and the historical anomoly of their playoff ascension last year - overwhelming odds pointed to them having this type of follow-up year. It's historically consistent 90% of the time.

Which is why they were my sure bet to miss the playoffs this year from all playoff teams last year.

Last edited by HolyRoller10; 24.09.2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 24.09.2013, 08:15 PM
All Pro

Okay okay, 2nd draft version:

Redskins - not currently using read option due to RGIII injury and likely to be less productive in future with it when he returns to health due to overall improved defensive response to it's widespread use in a second year. Phew.

Better?

Show me a playoff bound team that'll make anywhere near as much extensive use of the read option as the Panthers, Redskins, Seahawks and 49ers did last season and I'll maybe reconsider that defences haven't improved their ability to defend against it.

The Eagles did a lot of shiny new things in the first two games. It was never going to last.
Old 24.09.2013, 08:47 PM
MVP

At the end of the day, no division remains the same forever. Some will improve, some will decline. The East is just declining right now. In a few years, it could very well be the hardest division in football again.
Old 24.09.2013, 09:53 PM
Pro Bowler

The Redskins I think will finish 8-8 or 7-9 and
I will be happy with that considering no 1st
round pick this year and next, and also
trying to build a team with a bull---- $36m
cap penalty.
Old 24.09.2013, 10:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltonian View Post
The Redskins I think will finish 8-8 or 7-9 and
I will be happy with that considering no 1st
round pick this year and next, and also
trying to build a team with a bull---- $36m
cap penalty.
Unless the Redskins pass D miraculously learns how to actually defend they'll be lucky to win 6 games.
Old 24.09.2013, 10:34 PM
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to liamjenkins Send a message via Yahoo to liamjenkins

I'm thinking

9-7 Cowboys
7-9 Giants
6-10 Eagles
5-11 Redskins

could be a likely outcome
Old 24.09.2013, 10:36 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamjenkins View Post
Hey everyone! So week 3 has passed and only one team in one of the most competitive divisions in the league took a victory. But why is this happening? On paper this should be one of the most fiercely contested seasons in years with the new Eagles Offense, the return of RGIII, the ever impressive (well, until this year) Eli Manning and the Cowboys.

Instead we have seen sloppy offense, too many penalties, the Eagles resorting back to the "Vick Picks" and more turnovers than the amount of snaps the Eagles made in their first game against the Redskins.

I wrote a short article on it here but was just wondering what you guys thought and if there is a way back for the three teams in the coming weeks then what exactly needs to be done? One team is guaranteed a week 5 in as the Eagles face the Giants but does the NFC East have what it takes to stop the Cowboys running away or will the simply slump to more losses?
Right now, the Giants don't look like they can challenge anyone. The Skins look like they could get a few wins but they're dropping such heavy points in the first half of their games, they're making it almost impossible for them to come back and win. RG0-III is having a sophmore slump (mainly due to his injury) but the team isn't the same as it was last year.. maybe they over achieved last year?

Cowboys should win the division fairly comfortably and I can see them having a winning record this year as well. Philly I reckon will finish 8-8 or 7-9. Skins maybe 6-10 and the Giants? I really don't know at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamjenkins View Post
But the Giants last season didn't have their worst start to a year since 1996. Thing is that they're such a big team and are expected to perform and make the playoffs every year but when they don't they get hammered I think.
I don't think you can say this about any NFL team. Yeah there are some who make the playoffs more than others but no NFL fan should expect their team to make the playoffs every season because it's just not the way the sport works.. there will be a day when the Patriots go through a long spell of not making the playoffs and the Bills will make 5/6.

The Giants should be doing a lot better than they have for their last 3 games for sure and a lot of that has to be down to Eli's insane interception ratio. I think you could probably say the same for the Steelers as well. Both teams have very little going for them this season (although the Steelers did begin to play well in the 2nd half against the Bears).
Old 24.09.2013, 10:46 PM
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to liamjenkins Send a message via Yahoo to liamjenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchy1 View Post
Right now, the Giants don't look like they can challenge anyone. The Skins look like they could get a few wins but they're dropping such heavy points in the first half of their games, they're making it almost impossible for them to come back and win. RG0-III is having a sophmore slump (mainly due to his injury) but the team isn't the same as it was last year.. maybe they over achieved last year?

Cowboys should win the division fairly comfortably and I can see them having a winning record this year as well. Philly I reckon will finish 8-8 or 7-9. Skins maybe 6-10 and the Giants? I really don't know at the moment.

I don't think you can say this about any NFL team. Yeah there are some who make the playoffs more than others but no NFL fan should expect their team to make the playoffs every season because it's just not the way the sport works.. there will be a day when the Patriots go through a long spell of not making the playoffs and the Bills will make 5/6.

The Giants should be doing a lot better than they have for their last 3 games for sure and a lot of that has to be down to Eli's insane interception ratio. I think you could probably say the same for the Steelers as well. Both teams have very little going for them this season (although the Steelers did begin to play well in the 2nd half against the Bears).
I agree but with such an illustrated history over the last few years, their fans would expect them to be a factor or at least perform a lot better than they are currently. I agree with the Steelers comment, plus Big Ben was the only man to throw for 400 yards this week. They're moving in the right direction it's just a case of putting the pieces together.

Tags
cowboys , eagles , giants , nfc east , redskins