QB draft watch - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 01.12.2017, 09:50 AM
All Pro

Default QB draft watch

I've been paying, like most Jets fans I guess, a bit more notice to this year's likely QB draft class this season and thought I'd see what others felt. I've particularly liked the in-season tracker at TotJ and you can see their final regular college season ranking here - http://turnonthejets.com.

I don't agree with the order of their top 4. For me it should be Rosen, Stidham, Darnold, Mayfield with the likely top 2 taken being Rosen and Darnold, assuming everyone comes out, which is far from a given.

I'd take Rosen in a heartbeat but I don't think he will make it down to us and I think his ceiling isn't as high as Darnold or Stidham which means I wouldn't give up the ransom required to get him personally.

Darnold is a very high ceiling type, but a big risk to be Sanchez 2.0. He could be a great but could also be Sanchez 2.0

Stidham is the most intriguing for me and he's showing a Wentz/Mahomes- like late season rocket up the draft charts. The only real knock I can see with him is the lack of experience but that is somewhat offset by the fact he has started and done well at both Baylor and Auburn in two vastly different systems. He's the QB I'd target at this stage. A few weeks ago I thought he might make it to day 2, but Auburn's success has probably ended that hope. He might very well be the best QB in the draft though and should be available at our pick.

Not sure about Mayfield at all. Has some great traits for sure but there are personality red flags that might put me off.

What do you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Old 03.12.2017, 09:10 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
I've been paying, like most Jets fans I guess, a bit more notice to this year's likely QB draft class this season and thought I'd see what others felt. I've particularly liked the in-season tracker at TotJ and you can see their final regular college season ranking here - http://turnonthejets.com.

I don't agree with the order of their top 4. For me it should be Rosen, Stidham, Darnold, Mayfield with the likely top 2 taken being Rosen and Darnold, assuming everyone comes out, which is far from a given.

I'd take Rosen in a heartbeat but I don't think he will make it down to us and I think his ceiling isn't as high as Darnold or Stidham which means I wouldn't give up the ransom required to get him personally.

Darnold is a very high ceiling type, but a big risk to be Sanchez 2.0. He could be a great but could also be Sanchez 2.0

Stidham is the most intriguing for me and he's showing a Wentz/Mahomes- like late season rocket up the draft charts. The only real knock I can see with him is the lack of experience but that is somewhat offset by the fact he has started and done well at both Baylor and Auburn in two vastly different systems. He's the QB I'd target at this stage. A few weeks ago I thought he might make it to day 2, but Auburn's success has probably ended that hope. He might very well be the best QB in the draft though and should be available at our pick.

Not sure about Mayfield at all. Has some great traits for sure but there are personality red flags that might put me off.

What do you guys think.
Christian Hackenburg out of Penn State.

Ha

Tbh I would be very happy with Stidham although that's only on reading a few articles.

I'd also be happy with a Bridgewater or Keenum and draft the best player available. O line is huge need whoever is our qb
Old 03.12.2017, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

I'd have Josh Rosen at the top of my Draft wish list for the Jets, and by quite a distance, probably followed by Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson and Allen. Think it's highly unlikely we finish in a position to take the top 2, so I'm currently leaning towards throwing money at Kirk Cousins in FA...
Old 03.12.2017, 04:23 PM
All Pro

I understand the Cousins thing, but my preference is still to draft a QB. I don't personally think Cousins is great, but he's good. We would be instantly better with him under centre, but I'm not convinced that he could deliver us a genuine shot at winning it all unless we had a stellar team and a Flacco/Eli type post season run.
Old 03.12.2017, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
I understand the Cousins thing, but my preference is still to draft a QB. I don't personally think Cousins is great, but he's good. We would be instantly better with him under centre, but I'm not convinced that he could deliver us a genuine shot at winning it all unless we had a stellar team and a Flacco/Eli type post season run.
I'd prefer to Draft "our guy" tbh, but I see Rosen and Darnold as the only QBs in this class with the potential to be a top 15 QB in the NFL. If we can't get one of them, I'd prefer us to go for Cousins and use the first round pick elsewhere...
Old 25.12.2017, 06:36 PM
Starter

What's the latest thoughts?? I reckon we might pick 7
Old 26.12.2017, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-e-t-s12 View Post
What's the latest thoughts?? I reckon we might pick 7
Looks like we're currently picking at #8, although 2-3 teams could theoretically drop below us by winning in Week 17.

I'm thinking Petty might not be the long term answer at QB...