NFL names homes teams for 2019 international games - Page 6 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 11.01.2019, 10:01 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldenavn View Post
Because of the rule requiring a team to host an international game within five years of being awarded a Super Bowl, Atlanta are due to play one very soon. So that may rule them out of being picked as a road team.

They were awarded SB LIII in spring 2016. Assuming that season did not count, as it was too late to schedule one, that means it needs to be played between 2017 and 2021.

According to Alistair Kirkwood, home teams can veto divisional games and protect one other. I would have expected the Giants would be the game Tampa Bay would protect, as with all their attendance problems the transplanted population means they should still be able to sell that one out.

To me the Bucs seem to offer a good opportunity to bring Houston to the U.K. The Jaguars are able to veto them as a divisional opponent, and I would be shocked if the league do not do everything they can to use the Chargers game to have Green Bay play here. They will never have a better opportunity to do so.

As seen by some of the past offerings, quality of matchup does not matter that much to the league whilst they know the games will sell out anyway. And the possibility of a team making their first visit to the U.K. makes a game marketable in its own right.

I would not rule out the Giants, but I would think the league would go after the Texans even if it were not protected.
Cant disagree with much of what you said.
Pack @ Chargers makes the most sense regarding getting the Packers over here for the UK audience.
I think the Texans are pretty strong come over either to face the Buccs or Jags and in fact id be more surprised if the Texans arent involved in a game.
Buccs opponents are probably one of 1) Panthers 2) Texans 3a) Giants 3b) Falcons in roughly that order of happening.

If we assume the Rams are going to Mexico, who faces the Raiders over here?
Non-divisional games are vs: Jags, Titans, Bears, Lions, Bengals.
I think you put Jags and Titans to the back of the order (one plays here each year and the other played in 2018). From the other 3 id say Bears is a fair shout due to their large(ish) UK fanbase, havent been over in nearly a decade and have an interesting team. The other 2 have been over in recent years and dont have SB hosting commitments to fulfill.
Whilst it would be surprising i wouldnt necessarily be shocked to see the Broncos back over, though being a divisional game with decent rivalry, i think this is unlikely.
Sponsored Links
Old 11.01.2019, 10:26 PM
Rookie

From @steelersdepot on Twitter:

“Rumblings are getting louder that the NFL is likely to choose the #Steelers 2019 game against the #Chargers to be the one played in Mexico & that that game will take place a week or two before Thanksgiving & on a Sunday or Monday night. Announcement likely to come during SB week.

“I'm startling to get several inquiries from travel companies wanting to advertise travel packages to Mexico for said game as they say word is ,leaking out that this is a done deal. We'll know for sure VERY soon.”
Old 12.01.2019, 07:17 AM
Rookie

I read somewhere that one of the writers for the Bucs said ‘teams like to surrender a game that isn’t likely to draw a big crowd, the 49ers and Cardinals would match that.
Old 12.01.2019, 07:50 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfcBOli27 View Post
Whilst it would be surprising i wouldnt necessarily be shocked to see the Broncos back over, though being a divisional game with decent rivalry, i think this is unlikely.
That might be down to where the Raiders are playing there home games next season.
Old 12.01.2019, 10:41 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmoor Falcon View Post
That might be down to where the Raiders are playing there home games next season.
To be honest i'd be surprised if we are playing in London again next season, but if we are I can see us bringing the Broncos game over here, for no other reason than money, depending on where we are playing our home games.
Old 20.01.2019, 02:32 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird27 View Post
Having these expectations... In reality we'll probably end up with Jets @ Jags, Bucs @ Rams, Cardinals @ Bucs, Vikings @ Chargers....
The Bucs were supposed to do a HOME game, not an away game. In this case, there's talk about Bucs @ Rams. And I'm not sure the Bucs would do both home AND away. (and it'd cost me too much to go to both!)
Old 21.01.2019, 12:42 PM
Rookie

https://twitter.com/NFLUK/status/1087326666169438208
Old 21.01.2019, 04:14 PM
Pro

The National Football League today announced the matchups for its five 2019 international regular season games - four in the UK and one in Mexico.

The quality of the 2019 international offering is apparent in three division games and five playoff participants, including the NFC Champion Los Angeles Rams. Two of the four London Games will feature teams playing in the UK for the first time, while Mexico City will host a meeting of long-time AFC West division rivals.

The 2019 international games are:

Mexico: Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers
UK: Carolina Panthers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
UK: Chicago Bears at Oakland Raiders
UK: Cincinnati Bengals at Los Angeles Rams
UK: Houston Texans at Jacksonville Jaguars

(...)

Dates, kickoff times and venues for all international games will be announced in conjunction with the release of the full NFL schedule this spring.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...9-london-games

Which means, I'll be attending the Bucs game. Either where it is, Tottenham, or London!