this is ruining the Nfl experience for me.. - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 19.10.2018, 01:13 PM
Frankie Mac Frankie Mac is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 17.10.2014
Posts: 10
Default

touts are scum and should be avoided at all costs. And I include Viagogo, Getmein, etc in that.

Twickets is brilliant - I have used them to both buy and sell tickets, and have never had any issues. Cannot recommend them enough. Tickets have to be listed at face value or below
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old 19.10.2018, 09:53 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitchB Niner View Post
They mentioned on the One Show last night that there are tickets to the NFL games for £1,170 on Getmein. The Ticketmaster guy was a bit of a dick about it, just saying they have to honour it, but no new listings are allowed.
The thing with this is, it's easy to get outraged by a price one seller is offering. But the reality is one of two things happen:

1) people are actually prepared to pay it, and do so, which justifies the price. See the Super Bowl, for example.

2) more likely in this case, nobody wants it at that price and it doesn't sell. It doesn't really matter what the price offered is if it's too high - whether it's £500, £1,170 or £10 million, if nobody's prepared to pay it sits with the owner who has a ticket they probably can't use. So they need to drop their price to sell it until they get a buyer like with option 1 above.


We are seeing the market set itself for tickets. Twickets even now has quite a few face value (plus Twickets fee) seats going for Titans-Chargers. Fans are trying to sell at face value because they can't sell for above face value (or don't want to). That the tickets remain suggests that even at face value they aren't finding buyers quickly.

Meanwhile, next week's Jags-Eagles game has absolutely no tickets for sale on Twickets at face value. This means demand for this game is stronger and fans are willing to pay more for tickets. Fans can list on other websites and get more than face value. And if anyone kind does decide to list their unwanted Jags-Eagles tickets at face value on Twickets, they get snapped up mighty quick. So we have no face value tickets left.

It is simple economics. It's also simple NFL team and fanbase analysis. The Eagles and Jags both have relatively large fanbases in the UK - both are top 12 fanbases I would say. The Eagles are also reigning Super Bowl champs and the Jags were good last year. The Titans and Chargers are two teams with smaller fanbases in the UK. In fact if I would put both franchises in the bottom 10 for numbers of UK fans, and for the Titans probably bottom 5. They are decent teams but neither has been in the AFC title game or Super Bowl for a good while. Which also explains the smaller fanbase (you read that right - the number of UK Patriots fans is not a coincidence!)

Touts with tickets remaining for Tennessee-LA Chargers will not be creaming it in on the day. In fact, I reckon they won't be buying tickets, for only buying for next to nothing, and will be selling at under face value on the day.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 19.10.2018, 09:59 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Mac View Post
touts are scum and should be avoided at all costs. And I include Viagogo, Getmein, etc in that.

Twickets is brilliant - I have used them to both buy and sell tickets, and have never had any issues. Cannot recommend them enough. Tickets have to be listed at face value or below
Which is fine as a seller. But if I want a ticket to the Eagles game, I'm not getting one on Twickets sorry to say - there are none available.

I'm not knocking Twickets. I just used it myself for this weekend, in fact. But it worked for me because the game isn't as popular. It won't work for next weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 20.10.2018, 07:05 AM
Thepuma Thepuma is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 01.12.2016
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
The thing with this is, it's easy to get outraged by a price one seller is offering. But the reality is one of two things happen:

1) people are actually prepared to pay it, and do so, which justifies the price. See the Super Bowl, for example.

2) more likely in this case, nobody wants it at that price and it doesn't sell. It doesn't really matter what the price offered is if it's too high - whether it's £500, £1,170 or £10 million, if nobody's prepared to pay it sits with the owner who has a ticket they probably can't use. So they need to drop their price to sell it until they get a buyer like with option 1 above.


We are seeing the market set itself for tickets. Twickets even now has quite a few face value (plus Twickets fee) seats going for Titans-Chargers. Fans are trying to sell at face value because they can't sell for above face value (or don't want to). That the tickets remain suggests that even at face value they aren't finding buyers quickly.

Meanwhile, next week's Jags-Eagles game has absolutely no tickets for sale on Twickets at face value. This means demand for this game is stronger and fans are willing to pay more for tickets. Fans can list on other websites and get more than face value. And if anyone kind does decide to list their unwanted Jags-Eagles tickets at face value on Twickets, they get snapped up mighty quick. So we have no face value tickets left.

It is simple economics. It's also simple NFL team and fanbase analysis. The Eagles and Jags both have relatively large fanbases in the UK - both are top 12 fanbases I would say. The Eagles are also reigning Super Bowl champs and the Jags were good last year. The Titans and Chargers are two teams with smaller fanbases in the UK. In fact if I would put both franchises in the bottom 10 for numbers of UK fans, and for the Titans probably bottom 5. They are decent teams but neither has been in the AFC title game or Super Bowl for a good while. Which also explains the smaller fanbase (you read that right - the number of UK Patriots fans is not a coincidence!)

Touts with tickets remaining for Tennessee-LA Chargers will not be creaming it in on the day. In fact, I reckon they won't be buying tickets, for only buying for next to nothing, and will be selling at under face value on the day.

Basically supply and demand.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 20.10.2018, 08:59 AM
BuffaloG's Avatar
BuffaloG BuffaloG is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 12.10.2014
Posts: 4,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepuma View Post
Basically supply and demand.
It's about time that they introduced a regulated secondary market by having an official resale site as they had for the London Olympics and are having for the cricket world cup next year where tickets are re-sold at face value

There is no need at all for the current situation to exist which is simply hurting fans
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 20.10.2018, 10:04 AM
zagamuffin zagamuffin is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 16.01.2009
Posts: 35
Default

unfair on those that cant or wont pay the rip off prices demanded by non fans creaming in on the opportunity,i got a pair on twickets last week for the raiders game but dont hold out much hope of getting eagles tickets unfortunately.Have paid for hotel and flights already so am going to travel over anyway but wont be lining scumbag touts pockets,would rather watch it it in the pub that support them...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 20.10.2018, 01:51 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
It's about time that they introduced a regulated secondary market by having an official resale site as they had for the London Olympics and are having for the cricket world cup next year where tickets are re-sold at face value

There is no need at all for the current situation to exist which is simply hurting fans
Again, it’s all relative. If there’s high demand and resales are limited to face value, getting hold of a ticket might be very tough and some fans who are willing to pay more simply find they can’t go. I can safely say I would never have got to go to Heinz Field if there was a rule about face value resales. Now that’s hurting fans!

The reality is that is that if tickets are on the secondary market and go for a premium, then the tickets have been too cheap at the original point of sale. If face value prices rise and demand falls, you will kill off the tout market. Because there is no money to be made.

But I dare say if they priced the same seat at £45 for the Titans Chargers game and £65 for the Eagles Jaguars game you would also get people up in arms.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 20.10.2018, 02:07 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagamuffin View Post
unfair on those that cant or wont pay the rip off prices demanded by non fans creaming in on the opportunity,i got a pair on twickets last week for the raiders game but dont hold out much hope of getting eagles tickets unfortunately.Have paid for hotel and flights already so am going to travel over anyway but wont be lining scumbag touts pockets,would rather watch it it in the pub that support them...
So let’s say a seat is priced at £70. You buy it.

What about if the same seat is priced at £55, but the seller wants £70 for it?

As you say, you can’t find a ticket for next week on Twickets and you won’t pay above whatever the face value is, as demand exceeds supply. It sounds like what you need is higher face value prices! And if you don’t want that then you just have to accept you can’t go because other real fans got there first (the classic British ticket mentality). Because that’s the reality. Next week the stadium will be full of real fans. There are more real fans than seats, so not everyone can go.

This is the same for anything. If you’ve got face value tickets to a massively in demand event, you are getting in for cheap. If the event is not in demand you have probably overpaid. Finally, don’t assume everyone selling tickets above face value is a non-fan. Plenty are fans. As I’ve said, plenty of US season ticket holders list their tickets for a “cash in” price. They intend to go to the game, but if someone offers them over a certain amount of money for their seat they’ll take it and not go to the game.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 20.10.2018, 02:28 PM
BuffaloG's Avatar
BuffaloG BuffaloG is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 12.10.2014
Posts: 4,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Again, it’s all relative. If there’s high demand and resales are limited to face value, getting hold of a ticket might be very tough and some fans who are willing to pay more simply find they can’t go.
And? Your ability to pay above the original price shouldn't come into it.

It's bizarre how major events can run official secondary markets effectively, efficiently and fairly. Yet for NFL in the UK people are forced to pay vastly inflated prices which doesn't help the game, it just lines people's pockets.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 20.10.2018, 02:29 PM
BuffaloG's Avatar
BuffaloG BuffaloG is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 12.10.2014
Posts: 4,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
So let’s say a seat is priced at £70. You buy it.

What about if the same seat is priced at £55, but the seller wants £70 for it?

As you say, you can’t find a ticket for next week on Twickets and you won’t pay above whatever the face value is, as demand exceeds supply. It sounds like what you need is higher face value prices! And if you don’t want that then you just have to accept you can’t go because other real fans got there first (the classic British ticket mentality). Because that’s the reality. Next week the stadium will be full of real fans. There are more real fans than seats, so not everyone can go.

This is the same for anything.
No it isn't. Plenty of events run official secondary markets that limit resale prices and it works fantastically
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 04:40 AM.