fiedler to the bucs? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 29.06.2006, 07:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Default fiedler to the bucs?

heard that he's agreed to a 1 year deal. any one got anything solid on it yet? would make sense though, a good move to replace McCown i think
Old 29.06.2006, 07:19 PM
MVP

Send a message via AIM to Jammin Jaguar Send a message via MSN to Jammin Jaguar
Default Re:fiedler to the bucs?

the latest Ive heard is this from USA today, (yesterday)
Quote:
[size=0.5]TAMPA — Quarterback Jay Fiedler visited the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Thursday to discuss the prospect of joining the team as a backup for Chris Simms.

Fiedler missed most of 2005 with the New York Jets after suffering a shoulder injury in the third game of the season. He had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum and began a throwing program about a month ago.

The Bucs are in the market for an experienced backup because third-year pro Luke McCown suffered a knee injury in practice last week and is expected to be sidelined until after the season begins.

"It's just a feeling-out process right now, coming in here," Fiedler said.

"Obviously, with what happened with Luke last week, they're looking for another guy to come in and compete a little bit. My situation, I'm rehabbing right now and hoping to be ready to go once training camp gets started."

Fiedler, a former starter in Miami, signed with the Jets as a backup for Chad Pennington. Both were injured in the third game last season, and Fiedler did not play the remainder of the year.

The quarterback is not a stranger to Bucs coach Jon Gruden. He was with Philadelphia when Gruden was the Eagles' offensive coordinator.

"I would love to get back together with him again and work with him. He does a great job coaching the quarterback position and making it easy on the quarterback to be successful," Fiedler said. "Right now, I'm just looking at this situation as well as a few others and trying to determine where the best spot for me is going to be."

Gruden said the Bucs are looking into Fiedler's situation "and everything else is just speculation at this time."

"I really haven't had a chance to formally sit down and talk with him, other than just for a few minutes here on the practice field," Gruden said. "I will say he's had some really good moments: taking the Dolphins to the playoffs; succeeding Dan Marino; he's won a lot of games... He's a smart, quick study and he's a good guy. And right now, he's looking for a team to help out."[/size]
So its not in stone yet.
Old 29.06.2006, 07:29 PM
Hall of Fame

http://www.buccaneers.com/

yep he's signed. also heard a rumout that McCown might be out for the year so them signing Fiedler kinda backs that up
Old 30.06.2006, 06:02 AM
Starter

McCown is likely to be out until around mid-October so the Bucs can stash him on the "Physically unable to perform" list until then. Fiedler is a one-year contract as a safety net only.
Old 30.06.2006, 12:14 PM
Team Captain

McCown is out for a 'sizeable' period of time (whether October or later) but frankly he'll be out for the whole season because once you get someone like Fiedler in as a backup (and assuming he doesn't mess up) he will be in possession and have the backup reps, so Fiedler is the backup for the Bucs this year (which is better than a lot of teams have at backup).
Old 30.06.2006, 03:11 PM
All Pro

[quote author=BUCPOWER link=board=1;threadid=19540;start=0#msg474183 date=1151647320]
McCown is likely to be out until around mid-October so the Bucs can stash him on the "Physically unable to perform" list until then. Fiedler is a one-year contract as a safety net only.
[/quote]Phew! I was worried about our QB situation due to McCown being out. I've expressed my concerns about Fiedler in the Bucs thread. You should have posted this in there to stimulate some discussion; it's getting a bit lonely.
Old 01.07.2006, 08:08 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to danny17

Good move, wonder if he will be a backup to Rattay or Sims.
Old 01.07.2006, 10:35 AM
All Pro

[quote author=danny17 link=board=1;threadid=19540;start=0#msg474381 date=1151741295]
Good move, wonder if he will be a backup to Rattay or Sims.
[/quote]Simms will start and it sounds as though Fiedler is a replacement for Luke McCown - the 2nd string QB when healthy.
Old 01.07.2006, 02:49 PM
All Pro

What's wrong with having Rattay as you're backup, sure he ain't the greatest QB in the world but he is a decent enough QB to do the job as #2 :-\
Old 01.07.2006, 03:21 PM
All Pro

[quote author=andy82 link=board=1;threadid=19540;start=0#msg474409 date=1151765352]
What's wrong with having Rattay as you're backup, sure he ain't the greatest QB in the world but he is a decent enough QB to do the job as #2 :-\
[/quote]It's better to be have experience than not have experience. IIRC, Rattay has only started 16 games during his 7-year NFL career whereas Jay Fiedler has started 60 games during 11 years in the NFL (he didn't play a down during the first four seasons whilst at the Eagles mind you).

As has been mentioned previously in this post, the original back-up (Luke McCown) should be back by October, so if all goes to plan and Simms goes down (not part of the plan ), we won't have to rely on Fiedler nor Rattay.