Farewell to the forum - Page 11 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Announcements > New on NFLUK.com

Old 22.07.2019, 02:34 PM
All Pro

Truly end of an era stuff, sad to see the close the forum, although it's people like me who've migrated to Twitter more and more over the last ten years that are partially to blame, even though the conversation and debate over there is a lot less enjoyable than it used to be here.

In the last couple of years I've found my love for the game wane, I still like it and watch as much as I can when the season rolls around but some of the joy has been lost for me. It’s probably a combination of many things - the over saturation of news and access we get now, the ever increasing pass-offense favouring rule changes, the constant creep of fantasy on all NFL analysis, the London franchise fundamentalists among the media and ‘super fan’ community, the increase in tribalism to name but a few.

My forum highlights include the old panics before a new season would start and no TV rights deal had been signed causing a rush of people to flood the forum in hysteria (may have been 2006, 2009 and again 2012?), the absurd Mano character ruining many threads with his posts, the thread ‘You know you’re an NFL fan when….’ which contained some great posts and multiple instances of GamePass fury which we could all share in.

It’s a shame the forum is being closed down but not surprising as the league office in London focuses more and more on the PR side of the game and therefore social media communications, pushing its celebrity fans, the tedious ‘game recognize game’ nonsense, British born players etc. I’ll give the UKNFLFan forum a try once the season starts and hopefully see a few of you over there.

Also a big thanks to the moderators who gave up their time and energy over the years on here.
Old 22.07.2019, 07:23 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno View Post
Truly end of an era stuff, sad to see the close the forum, although it's people like me who've migrated to Twitter more and more over the last ten years that are partially to blame, even though the conversation and debate over there is a lot less enjoyable than it used to be here.

In the last couple of years I've found my love for the game wane, I still like it and watch as much as I can when the season rolls around but some of the joy has been lost for me. It’s probably a combination of many things - the over saturation of news and access we get now, the ever increasing pass-offense favouring rule changes, the constant creep of fantasy on all NFL analysis, the London franchise fundamentalists among the media and ‘super fan’ community, the increase in tribalism to name but a few.

My forum highlights include the old panics before a new season would start and no TV rights deal had been signed causing a rush of people to flood the forum in hysteria (may have been 2006, 2009 and again 2012?), the absurd Mano character ruining many threads with his posts, the thread ‘You know you’re an NFL fan when….’ which contained some great posts and multiple instances of GamePass fury which we could all share in.

It’s a shame the forum is being closed down but not surprising as the league office in London focuses more and more on the PR side of the game and therefore social media communications, pushing its celebrity fans, the tedious ‘game recognize game’ nonsense, British born players etc. I’ll give the UKNFLFan forum a try once the season starts and hopefully see a few of you over there.

Also a big thanks to the moderators who gave up their time and energy over the years on here.
Well said. And thanks for your TV viewing figure posts over the years (I think it was you!). Totally agree about fantasy football - completely tedious and I genuinely believe that fantasy obsession is driving the constant prioritising of offensive-friendly rules too. I tried fantasy football last year for the first time and I really didn't like it. It's all focused on the wrong things... garbage time scores count for more than defensive football. Count me as someone who will take defense over offense any day and I don't think I'm alone there. I love the playoffs even more cos there are no bloody fantasy stats scrawling constantly across the screen.

Anyway, all the best to you.

p.s. **** NFLUK.
Old 23.07.2019, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

I’m getting the feeling that my attempts to get the powers to be to keep a forum archive up have fallen on deaf ears...
Old 23.07.2019, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Oh btw, just thought I’d confirm the existence of the Moderators Only sub-forum. I know there was a lot of debate back in the day over whether it was real or not. You would not believe some of the stuff we got up to on there...
Old 23.07.2019, 10:03 AM
MVP

Found one of my favourite threads after a bit of digging. Not sure the OP was expecting this kind of response...
https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=92554

Last edited by boknows34; 23.07.2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 23.07.2019, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Found one of my favourite threads after a bit of digging. Not sure the OP was expecting this kind of response...
And he never did answer the questions...
Old 23.07.2019, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
What a classic. It’s that type of humour that’ll miss here.
Old 24.07.2019, 10:32 AM
All Pro

I've spent a lot of hours on here over the years - lots of Draft talk (no archive means my misses will be lost for all time - shame ) and a whole bunch of intelligent and passionate British fans of this wonderful sport. As many have said, it's not a surprise to see this go - but if NFL (UK) put a bit into it, I do think it would still have a place.

When I started posting on here many years ago, I was an NFL Draft fan. I grew up a big soccer fan. My Dad's a Southampton fan and I've followed (thanks, Dad ). We would often go to youth team games and always enjoyed watching players like Shearer and Matt Le Tiss come through. Getting into the game in the 80's, the concept of the Draft seemed brilliant to me - I mean the worst team gets the best player - superb! So when ITV showed those one hour college football highlights at 3 a.m. when I was 16 or 17 - it was an easy step to watch these players and then follow them into the league (I think the first two were Keith and Kerry Cash of Texas - and an Ole Miss safety whose name escapes me). I've gone through a lot in terms of following the Draft. I was just a fan, then I won a blog post on here (my dog's still got the Tampa Bay Bucs football I won!) and the Football Diner asked me to write for them. That led to my current gig and beating the big boys Kiper, McShay and Mayock in the top 100 competition. So, this place was my start and it's been a shame to see it become a shell of what it was. For all those who've been around a long time, do drop me a comment or two every now and again over at NFL Draft Line.

I've seen a lot over the years of following this sport in this country. Channel 4 with an interesting cast of presenters, the World League, NFL Europe, pulling out of that to some wilderness years for the sport - and now a semi-recovery with regular season NFL games the new norm. I wouldn't consider making this sport super-popular in this country as easy. It almost always feels like we are stuck explaining how many downs there are for new fans, but not catering for the bridge between new and super-knowledgeable fan. That's where I would see a place like this helping - people can ask questions and get helpful replies. NFL (UK)'s role has long been critiqued - it's easy to take a shot at them, and I've been as guilty as anyone over the years. I love this sport and have got so frustrated at some of the non-/decisions. Right now, it seems like the focus is to fill Wembley for each game over here and that's about it.

As a hobby writer, OK a serious one (just ask my missus how much time I spend on the Draft - actually don't ), I would have loved to get some support from NFL (UK). A look at a few of my articles from one of their writers over the years and some suggestions for improvement - put me in touch with a coach for a little technical advice - maybe see I'm doing well in the top 100 contest and get me to write an article or two (I wouldn't have charged a penny). Nothing. Not one thing. There have been lots of others who've done a bit of writing over the years, and I would imagine it's the same story with them. A lot of them don't write any longer - for all I know many of them don't follow the sport. It's great to see someone like Liam writing some Draft stuff - NFL (UK) need to see someone like him and give him a little support and encouragement.

Anyway, just my 2p. All the best for the future to all the people on here who I've talked Draft with. And watch out for Jerry Jeudy - kid can play!
Old 24.07.2019, 10:45 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Oh btw, just thought I’d confirm the existence of the Moderators Only sub-forum. I know there was a lot of debate back in the day over whether it was real or not. You would not believe some of the stuff we got up to on there...
As an admin/mod myself elsewhere, I would have been more surprised if there wasn't one
Old 24.07.2019, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post
I've spent a lot of hours on here over the years - lots of Draft talk (no archive means my misses will be lost for all time - shame ) and a whole bunch of intelligent and passionate British fans of this wonderful sport. As many have said, it's not a surprise to see this go - but if NFL (UK) put a bit into it, I do think it would still have a place.

When I started posting on here many years ago, I was an NFL Draft fan. I grew up a big soccer fan. My Dad's a Southampton fan and I've followed (thanks, Dad ). We would often go to youth team games and always enjoyed watching players like Shearer and Matt Le Tiss come through. Getting into the game in the 80's, the concept of the Draft seemed brilliant to me - I mean the worst team gets the best player - superb! So when ITV showed those one hour college football highlights at 3 a.m. when I was 16 or 17 - it was an easy step to watch these players and then follow them into the league (I think the first two were Keith and Kerry Cash of Texas - and an Ole Miss safety whose name escapes me). I've gone through a lot in terms of following the Draft. I was just a fan, then I won a blog post on here (my dog's still got the Tampa Bay Bucs football I won!) and the Football Diner asked me to write for them. That led to my current gig and beating the big boys Kiper, McShay and Mayock in the top 100 competition. So, this place was my start and it's been a shame to see it become a shell of what it was. For all those who've been around a long time, do drop me a comment or two every now and again over at NFL Draft Line.

I've seen a lot over the years of following this sport in this country. Channel 4 with an interesting cast of presenters, the World League, NFL Europe, pulling out of that to some wilderness years for the sport - and now a semi-recovery with regular season NFL games the new norm. I wouldn't consider making this sport super-popular in this country as easy. It almost always feels like we are stuck explaining how many downs there are for new fans, but not catering for the bridge between new and super-knowledgeable fan. That's where I would see a place like this helping - people can ask questions and get helpful replies. NFL (UK)'s role has long been critiqued - it's easy to take a shot at them, and I've been as guilty as anyone over the years. I love this sport and have got so frustrated at some of the non-/decisions. Right now, it seems like the focus is to fill Wembley for each game over here and that's about it.

As a hobby writer, OK a serious one (just ask my missus how much time I spend on the Draft - actually don't ), I would have loved to get some support from NFL (UK). A look at a few of my articles from one of their writers over the years and some suggestions for improvement - put me in touch with a coach for a little technical advice - maybe see I'm doing well in the top 100 contest and get me to write an article or two (I wouldn't have charged a penny). Nothing. Not one thing. There have been lots of others who've done a bit of writing over the years, and I would imagine it's the same story with them. A lot of them don't write any longer - for all I know many of them don't follow the sport. It's great to see someone like Liam writing some Draft stuff - NFL (UK) need to see someone like him and give him a little support and encouragement.

Anyway, just my 2p. All the best for the future to all the people on here who I've talked Draft with. And watch out for Jerry Jeudy - kid can play!
Cheers DS! Your knowledge of the College game over the years, and the amount of research you do, frankly terrifies me! Hope to see you around on UKNFLFAN and/or the “emergency” forum.