Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 294 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 10.06.2009, 12:35 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dux783 View Post
He's got the ability to make a good offence great, and an average one good.
I honestly think that its a no brainer signing him, because as others have pointed out, he's not as much of a trouble maker as say, TO.
Whoever gets him will be signing an extremely productive and effective player, and I hope its us.
Sorry for butting in here Bears fans, but what 'trouble' has TO been in. Don't believe he has been in trouble for guns, drugs or any other felony. Sure, he has a big mouth, but he doesn't have a criminal background does he?
Old 10.06.2009, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think we need him either. I think that way too much is made of Chicago's lack of receiving. However, I think it's unfair to judge every player who gets into trouble with the same brush. I think it is worth seeing what happens with him and meeting the guy to gauge exactly what he is like.

I am surprised that Chicago are interested because Lovie and JA are usually so cautious with regard to player conduct. Nevertheless, I think it's too soon to write Plaxico off as another example of the league's conduct policy gone wrong. Tank Johnson is a good example of a person who made a mistake and was supported by the team. He then did it again and was cut. I think the question here is whether Burress has learned from this.

I feel the whole "hard on bad-character" thing is about to fall flat on it's face anyway when the face of the problem, Michael Vick returns to the league.
Old 10.06.2009, 10:35 AM
Hester at the 40, 30, 20, 10, touchdown!'s Avatar
Hester at the 40, 30, 20, 10, touchdown! Hester at the 40, 30, 20, 10, touchdown! is offline
Pro Bowler

In other news, Rex is selling his house
http://www.blogdownchicagobears.com/...e-up-for-sale/
Old 10.06.2009, 10:43 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31 View Post
Sorry for butting in here Bears fans, but what 'trouble' has TO been in. Don't believe he has been in trouble for guns, drugs or any other felony. Sure, he has a big mouth, but he doesn't have a criminal background does he?
You don't have to be a criminal to be a "trouble maker".

I think it's clear to see that throughout his career he's had a negative impact on locker rooms around the NFL, I wouldn't go so far as to call him a "cancer" (although many would).
Old 10.06.2009, 01:15 PM
Pro

I'm not sure where I am in the whole Burress-debate. I see a playmaker that would improve our team greatly, no matter how much we like what we have.
As a matter of fact he has the potential of making us a Super Bowl contender, so not even considering him would show lack of ambition.

Now there are tons of red flags that come along with him. This isn't the first time he's in trouble, but I must say that this specific case has been blown totally out of proportions. However for the Giants it was the topping of the cake, and they just had enough of him, simple as that. Keep in mind that most number 1 WRs are diva-like, and is often referred to as locker room cancers.

I remember from my own days of football: the guys I hated most on the team were always receivers. It comes with the territory. They had inflated egos, acted like everything was about them, and were just a big pain in the but*. However, on game day, when they showed catching those TD passes they were the love and everything them was beautiful (for about a couple of minutes).

Now I know they're not all like that. Some of the best in the business are actually quite down-to-earth team first players (Johnson, Fitzgerald), but you have (at least) as many TO, Ochocinco, Burress types as you have the Johnsons. And I think to be competitive in the NFL you cannot exclude any player with some character issues.
The problems with Tank and Benson was that they did what they did WHILE THEY WERE UNDER CONTRACT WITH THE BEARS. That's a big difference from a player on another team. Tank Johnson came out of prison saying he had done some serious thinking and that he understood that he's done something wrong, being a bad rolemodel for kids and fans, then he goes out getting a ticket for DUI only months after saying he's become an angel!! Wow...

I think for most players receiving a ticket wouldn't be such a big problem, but when there's been repeated behaviour after being warned then there's no hope.

Now with Plaxico there's been no promises or anything whatsoever to the Bears...simply because he's been under contract with the Giants all the time. Now Giants had to react. He's used their trust (on the contrary he's also received a TD pass for a Super Bowl winning catch).

So even though we would have to think ten times about it before we even think about talking to Plaxico this is a unique case that must be looked at individually...
Old 10.06.2009, 01:39 PM
All Pro

What is the likelihood that he will be sent down?
As Adi says, this discussion will all go away if that happens, but it appears teams are still sounding him out, so maybe he'll get off with a fine/caution/whatever.
I think it would be foolish to overlook him.
He's better than what we have, hell, he's better than what most teams have, so why pass over on a player who has the ability to greatly improve our offence and give JC a legitimate go to guy?
On the flip side, this time last year if a AAA running back had been available we'd have been saying snap him up, and look what happened, so who knows, maybe between Hester, Igliasias and Knox/Bennett we may have more than enough weapons to be successful.
Old 16.06.2009, 02:59 PM
Hall of Fame

Mommy Bear and Daddy Bear were in divorce court. The judge looked down and asked the Baby Bear, "So Baby Bear, do you want to live with Daddy Bear?" "Oh, no," Baby Bear replied, "I don't want to live with Daddy Bear. He beat me." "Well then, you should live with Mommy Bear," answered the judge. "On, no, I don't want to live with Mommy Bear. She beat me." "Well then, Baby Bear, who do you want to live with?" Baby Bear said, "I want to live with the Chicago Bears. They don't beat anybody!"
Old 16.06.2009, 03:11 PM
All Pro

Apart from jags of course.............
Old 16.06.2009, 03:51 PM
All Pro

I've never heard that one before.
Old 16.06.2009, 04:05 PM
All Pro

That joke got a laugh out of me....... at its lameness