The General News Thread - Page 101 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 01.04.2015, 02:16 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilGroom View Post
Just guessing, but I don't think Jenson's issue is much to do with the Bond part of that paragraph
I bet you're a world-famous amateur detective on the quiet.
Old 01.04.2015, 02:24 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensonF View Post
I bet you're a world-famous amateur detective on the quiet.
I do try
Old 01.04.2015, 02:40 PM
MVP

Brilliant idea -- brilliant idea!!

Let's really push the diversity button and let Jo Brand play Bond's female sidekick in the next film.
Old 01.04.2015, 02:58 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensonF View Post
But he wouldn't be James Bond. Call him something else, start another franchise for the new guy, but James Bond is an established character and manifestly not black.
Does it matter though? I don't think Bond's "whiteness" is a crucial part of his character. He can still have gone to Eton, been a commander in the navy, be suave and whatever. I thought there was a bigger argument (though hardly compelling) against Elba playing a Norse god.

Plus, with a black Bond they could do a terrific remake of Live and Let Die, assuming people are ready for the idea of a gang of white criminals.
Old 01.04.2015, 03:23 PM
All Pro

Of course Bond can be black. The films don't make any reference to the necessity of him being white, so what's the problem with it and Milliband thinking so?

Jensen's post seems to be more of the hysterical "I'll find any nonsense reason to bash a Labour politician" stuff we're bound to see everywhere in the run up to the election.
Old 01.04.2015, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post

Jensen's post seems to be more of the hysterical "I'll find any nonsense reason to bash a Labour politician" stuff we're bound to see everywhere in the run up to the election.
I was thinking earlier how ludicrous thoughts over time become accepted, and along the lines of 'labour bashing' - when did Zero-Hour contracts become a good thing? Maybe for students, but not 'real people'

Yet every radio call-in, Twitter conversation, debate etc has people saying how great they are, giving employees the flexibility of when they want to work?!!!

When did this happen??!!!!!

People want to know how much their bills are, how much they're earning each week, and that the latter figure is bigger than the former by enough to get by on, and perhaps the occasional treat or bit in the savings kitty.

Only when that happens to the majority of people in the country can the economy really grow.

The people defending zero hours contracts usually are bosses, or people with guaranteed full time employment.
Old 01.04.2015, 04:27 PM
MVP

You don't need nonsense reasons to bash politicians -- they provide lots themselves without prompting. But it does add a little more light to the grimness of everyday life if you laugh at the more stupid pronouncements from someone who doesn't realize he's being stoopid.
Okay, it's a shame he was brought up that way and it's croool to mock the afflicted but why should they get a free pass?
Old 01.04.2015, 05:53 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I was thinking earlier how ludicrous thoughts over time become accepted, and along the lines of 'labour bashing' - when did Zero-Hour contracts become a good thing? Maybe for students, but not 'real people'

Yet every radio call-in, Twitter conversation, debate etc has people saying how great they are, giving employees the flexibility of when they want to work?!!!

When did this happen??!!!!!

People want to know how much their bills are, how much they're earning each week, and that the latter figure is bigger than the former by enough to get by on, and perhaps the occasional treat or bit in the savings kitty.

Only when that happens to the majority of people in the country can the economy really grow.

The people defending zero hours contracts usually are bosses, or people with guaranteed full time employment.
How common are these zero hours contracts? The way it's in the news you'd think we are all on them.

They sound a bad idea to me but they must work for some people (probably not most) because Miliband even said he wouldn't ban them in the NHS so there must be some point to them. But generally speaking I don't really get it. Hiring and firing is relatively easy in the UK compared to most of Europe so there should be no need for zero hours - hire someone properly and if it doesn't work, let them go. What we don't want is to become rigid like France, Netherlands, Italy etc where the level of protections are so high that the employer just doesn't bother hiring at all. Zero work, rather than zero hours. And those who do get hired end up on terrible short-term fixed-term contracts because companies are so put off by the costs of having to terminate surplus workers if business slows that they would rather not hire them in the first place. And you end up (a) with dreadful customer service as everywhere is understaffed, (b) high unemployment, and (c) high youth unemployment in particular because the well-entrenched older workers are harder and too expensive to let go so the young suffer, or disappear off to London to work under an English contract. So we have to be careful. Too much protection of employees doesn't help employers, employees or wider society in the end.
Old 01.04.2015, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
How common are these zero hours contracts? The way it's in the news you'd think we are all on them.

They sound a bad idea to me but they must work for some people (probably not most) because Miliband even said he wouldn't ban them in the NHS so there must be some point to them. But generally speaking I don't really get it. Hiring and firing is relatively easy in the UK compared to most of Europe so there should be no need for zero hours - hire someone properly and if it doesn't work, let them go. What we don't want is to become rigid like France, Netherlands, Italy etc where the level of protections are so high that the employer just doesn't bother hiring at all. Zero work, rather than zero hours. And those who do get hired end up on terrible short-term fixed-term contracts because companies are so put off by the costs of having to terminate surplus workers if business slows that they would rather not hire them in the first place. And you end up (a) with dreadful customer service as everywhere is understaffed, (b) high unemployment, and (c) high youth unemployment in particular because the well-entrenched older workers are harder and too expensive to let go so the young suffer, or disappear off to London to work under an English contract. So we have to be careful. Too much protection of employees doesn't help employers, employees or wider society in the end.
I have read that there are between 1.4 and 1.8 million ZHC's in the uk today.

Your final point about high youth unemployment is already an issue in the UK (and will grow) as we're all essentially forced to work later in our lives.

I love my job but I'll have no second thoughts in walking away once I'm financially able, regardless of my age. Hopefully closer to 55 than 68 (or whatever it will be by the time I'm there)
Old 01.04.2015, 06:35 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I have read that there are between 1.4 and 1.8 million ZHC's in the uk today.

Your final point about high youth unemployment is already an issue in the UK (and will grow) as we're all essentially forced to work later in our lives.

I love my job but I'll have no second thoughts in walking away once I'm financially able, regardless of my age. Hopefully closer to 55 than 68 (or whatever it will be by the time I'm there)
Our youth unemployment is not in the same league as Spain/Italy though. Around 40-60% or something shocking. The only jobs in demand are English and German teachers so that young people can head abroad for work.