Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 194 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 18.08.2008, 03:53 PM
All Pro

Default Re:Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread

[quote author=olig23 link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1920#msg931935 date=1219073250]
I have been quietly holding out hope that we wouldn't struggle too much this season and that we would be better than last year, just by virtue of being more healthy. However, events recently are making me worried that we will be dragged into the bottom feeder part of the league if things continue to decline.

1. Orten looks likely now to be the starter. I mean this really limits us he is a 'game manager' sort of back but a game manager is only any good if you have a game to manage. normally a team who uses such a QB has a strong rush to lean on I think we will have an average rush so this move baffles me. Also, despite his shortcomings Rex has shown he is capable of good play and if we seriously want Hester to be a legit threat we need someone who can hurl it deep.

2. Williams getting hurt. It was not ideal that he have to start anyway. And the injury to him leaves us with an even thinner O-line.

It's not a crisis because there are far worse teams, i just don't get the whole Orten thing I can't see him as any better than Gradkowski. If they really do not beleive in Rex they should have at least gone after Pennington or Leftwich or even Culpepper, if Grossman really is going to lose the job to Orten.
[/quote]

Yuh makes sense. If we had playmakers, an inventive OC and a good rushing game Orton would be my choice by a long stretch. We don't have any of these sadly, therefore if we are to win Rex must be given the job.

Culpepper is a guy i would have looked at. He is different type of QB who would have given us more options

Pennington is just an Orton type guy and Leftwich with his slow release would be killed. Exactly why i wanted Denis Dixon to be drafted just because he was a different type of QB and a guy who would have given us more options.
Old 18.08.2008, 03:53 PM
All Pro

[quote author=olig23 link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1920#msg931935 date=1219073250]
I have been quietly holding out hope that we wouldn't struggle too much this season and that we would be better than last year, just by virtue of being more healthy. However, events recently are making me worried that we will be dragged into the bottom feeder part of the league if things continue to decline.

1. Orten looks likely now to be the starter. I mean this really limits us he is a 'game manager' sort of back but a game manager is only any good if you have a game to manage. normally a team who uses such a QB has a strong rush to lean on I think we will have an average rush so this move baffles me. Also, despite his shortcomings Rex has shown he is capable of good play and if we seriously want Hester to be a legit threat we need someone who can hurl it deep.

2. Williams getting hurt. It was not ideal that he have to start anyway. And the injury to him leaves us with an even thinner O-line.

It's not a crisis because there are far worse teams, i just don't get the whole Orten thing I can't see him as any better than Gradkowski. If they really do not beleive in Rex they should have at least gone after Pennington or Leftwich or even Culpepper, if Grossman really is going to lose the job to Orten.
[/quote]

Leftwich = slowest release in the league, that combined with our terrible O-Line would be a disaster.

I'm not totally against bringing Culpepper in, however that would set back either Rex or Kyle another year; which I don't think we can afford to do, seeing as Culpepper would probably move on after the year and any rookie brought in would need a good year or two to develop.

This year's not going to be pretty. :-\

Old 18.08.2008, 10:13 PM
All Pro

ORTON has won the starting job... Lovie will announce it after practice today...
Old 18.08.2008, 10:24 PM
Team Captain

I think all the talk about bringing in other QB's like Culpepper is misplaced. The Bears system demands a game manager at QB and this essentially got us to the Superbowl two seasons ago. Yes admittantly Rex made some plays with his arm but he was essentially not trying to win the game on his own. Orton at present represents the best option as he has shown some ability to move the offense in pre-season. Rex is still making mistakes, turnovers and is rattled by a pass rush.
The o-line isn't helping and is the biggest concern at present as we need to establish a running game to take the pressure off the offense.
Old 18.08.2008, 10:32 PM
All Pro

We're not going to be able to establish any running game if the O line keeps disintegrating on every play.

Whilst I do sometimes find it hard to back Rex, he was being blitzed over and over again and was getting virtually no time against Seattle.
Given a little protection, he's no worse than most QB's in the NFC. Sadly, I can't see him getting it, so Orton will probably get the job until he gets creamed a few times.

Is there any FA O linemen available still?
Old 18.08.2008, 11:08 PM
Hall of Fame

[quote author=bearsfanuk link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1920#msg932174 date=1219097639]
ORTON has won the starting job... Lovie will announce it after practice today...
[/quote]
yep indeed. have just heard hes been named the starter on total access
Old 19.08.2008, 06:47 AM
All Pro

I think it will be back and forth between the two of them over the season, such is the situation they're playing in.

It also appears that this is another nail in Grossman's Bears career coffin though.
Old 19.08.2008, 10:13 AM
All Pro

"If you have two QBs, you have no QB". A Cliché but very appropriate :'(

I think Orton was always pencilled in at no.1. Rex was given the chance to take the job if he looked great through off/pre season. His fumbles, interceptions and botched snaps over the last two seasons cost him his position, not the forced pick against Seattle.

I think now order has been established a 3rd experienced QB may well be signed. Simms will be available soon, but he is some what unknown. Culpepper can make big plays, but behind our line he will get hit a lot, he is some what injury prone.

Orton will get 4 games to show zero errors (almost) and some positive play before he is demoted.

The Dolphins have released an O lineman anyone know if he is worth signing?
Old 19.08.2008, 11:44 AM
All Pro

[quote author=payton3434 link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1935#msg932336 date=1219140823]

[/quote]

I saw this on Sky Sports News this morning, and thought the same thing. He's a Centre though, the one position on the O line that we don't need to strengthen.
Old 19.08.2008, 11:51 AM
All Pro

[quote author=payton3434 link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1935#msg932336 date=1219140823]
"If you have two QBs, you have no QB". A Cliché but very appropriate :'(

I think Orton was always pencilled in at no.1. Rex was given the chance to take the job if he looked great through off/pre season. His fumbles, interceptions and botched snaps over the last two seasons cost him his position, not the forced pick against Seattle.

I think now order has been established a 3rd experienced QB may well be signed. Simms will be available soon, but he is some what unknown. Culpepper can make big plays, but behind our line he will get hit a lot, he is some what injury prone.

Orton will get 4 games to show zero errors (almost) and some positive play before he is demoted.

[/quote]

I'd rather keep Hanie and develop him than pick up Culpepper/Simms etc.