Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 244 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 04.02.2009, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

The problem for me is not that we don't sign big names, in fact I would hate to see us throw millions at Peppers, Haynesworth or Houshmanzadah because players rarely live up to those contracts. the issue is that Lovie's weakness is for going after players with a tampa-2 background they rarely ever pan out and usually were released for a good reason.

I think we could use 3-5 players in free agency but only ones of sufficient quality as the names I mentioned above. Those are not superstars but in my opinion they are in some cases better players than the big names. Of the big names on the market I would only throw serious millions at are Asomugha, Scott or Dansby.
Old 04.02.2009, 03:54 PM
All Pro

Haynsworth is more worthy of a big contract than anyone we currently have.

I don't think housh would be good enough within our philosophy to earn what he would expect.

Teams that want to run the ball need to invest money in the O line, that is where the money should go. Our weak WRs become far less of a problem if we can run well.
Old 04.02.2009, 04:33 PM
All Pro

I swear to God if Angelo drafts a RB or a QB on the first day, there will be murders.
Old 04.02.2009, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
Haynsworth is more worthy of a big contract than anyone we currently have.

I don't think housh would be good enough within our philosophy to earn what he would expect.

Teams that want to run the ball need to invest money in the O line, that is where the money should go. Our weak WRs become far less of a problem if we can run well.
I wouldn't like to get into a debate about Haynesworth he is a very dominating player.

However, I think he is player with significant injury concerns, not huge ones but he has a history of missing enough games every year. then there are some character issues. Not only his stamp of Gurode but off-field stuff and while he is ok right now I think he could fail to live up to his recent form in the future. Let's not forget he played well for a number of seasons without ever getting to the level he has been at for the last two. Then I look at other players in the Titans team, and I would make an analogy with the Giants too here. Jim Schwarz is a phenomenal defensive coach and got 100% out of the talent on that team. Not only Haynesworth but Brown, Van den Bosch, Ford, Ball and Kearse ALL excelled in his system. I think Haynesworth is easily the best player in that lineup but he is, in my opinion, not as likely to play to 100% of his ability on another team. I believe systems make players and Haynesworth found a system that suited his strengths. It's just like I don't think you can really say Kiwanuka, Umenyiora, Tuck and Robbins would all get so many sacks. The fact is they improved because of Spagnulo it is too much of a coincidence to suggest otherwise.

Haynesworth has said he is looking for a contract of 6 years and one that would make him the best paid defensive player in the NFL. For the above reasons I think there is no contest between him and Asomugha. I would say Haynesworth is 2nd best DT in the NFL right now behind Kevin Williams but if he does leave tennessee I don't think we will necessarily be saying that one or maybe two years from now having had a team invest $80m in his skills.
Old 04.02.2009, 09:04 PM
All Pro

yeah we signed a QB cant remember his name and dont care........bring on some quality lovie.
Old 04.02.2009, 09:09 PM
All Pro

If you want to see quality, watch Kyle Orton next year.

Say it with me: "I BELIEVE IN THE NECKBEARD".
Old 04.02.2009, 09:12 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeNeil View Post
If you want to see quality, watch Kyle Orton next year.

Say it with me: "I BELIEVE IN THE NECKBEARD".
Will you be watching in HD or something ?
Old 05.02.2009, 12:27 AM
All Pro

training camp fodder if you ask me....
Old 05.02.2009, 09:02 PM
All Pro

Basanez was signed for 1 reason only, Rex is gone & we need 3 QB's for our first Mini camps. Don't read too much into it. At best he's battling Hanie for 3rd & we will be bringing in another QB
Old 06.02.2009, 12:42 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea View Post
Basanez was signed for 1 reason only, Rex is gone & we need 3 QB's for our first Mini camps. Don't read too much into it. At best he's battling Hanie for 3rd & we will be bringing in another QB
we can only hope mate.....the only QB I would have brought in has been franchise tagged...Matt Cassel