Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 344 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 05.03.2010, 09:05 PM
All Pro

Press conference will be streamed live on www.chicagobears.com at 5pm (ct)
Old 06.03.2010, 11:03 AM
All Pro

Literally the greatest start to free agency ever!

Not only is Peppers a top player but now Harris will see a single block more often which could dramatically improve his performance.

Manu.....la is exactly what Martz wanted for his scheme.

I hope Taylor is given an equal shot at being the featured back.

I do think Olsen will now be offered around for a high pick (but not given away cheap).

We still need a quality safety before I start getting over excited though.
Old 06.03.2010, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
Literally the greatest start to free agency ever!

Not only is Peppers a top player but now Harris will see a single block more often which could dramatically improve his performance.

Manu.....la is exactly what Martz wanted for his scheme.

I hope Taylor is given an equal shot at being the featured back.

I do think Olsen will now be offered around for a high pick (but not given away cheap).

We still need a quality safety before I start getting over excited though.
Agreed, it was a good day for the Bears.

I think Peppers will be a good signing even though we are paying him quite a lot of money. I am not sure I think he does Harris any favours though tbh. The whole notion of guys being doubled is something of a myth, in fact Harris saw a whole lot more of single protection than Adams simply because teams tend to leave the RG in one-on-one protection and slide the centre to the left if he is not picking up blitzers from the second level.

Harris has shown in glimpses that he can still get it done but it is all about health with him. Even if he doesn't though I firmly beleive that Idonije is potentially a top pass rushing DT, I have been very impressed with him over the last two seasons.

I really like the Taylor signing. I think Forte is ok but mainly due to his blocking and receiving. There were also worries about his knees and work ethic last year I heard. Taylor is a very similar player but I think he has more moves so they will be able to spell them as they see fit I guess. Ideally they get 50/50 carries so neither breaks down. we can also put Bell in there too who looked decent down the stretch.

I personally think Manumaleuna is a tad over-rated as blocker, not bad (like Gaines) but not a Jim Kleinsasser either. He will do a better job than what we have though either way.

I must be alone in not being worried by safety. I just don't think it is that major a position in our scheme. If we can find a good second day player then great but I would be looking for a LG or RT first. We play too much deep zone protection for our safeties to be major influences. Unless we had a dynamic guy like Mike Brown which I doubt we can find. They are moving Manning to SS so I expect we will use him as an in the box blitzer from time to time. I would be happy if we find a FS but I don't think it is a massive issue if we do not.

I think we would do well to take a look at either Bobbie Williams or Rex Hadnot depending on their demands via Fa. Hopefully we find a good lineman in round 3.

Regardless, we are in a much stronger position than last year and Peppers can wreak some havoc on guys like McKinnie, Clifton and Backus. We only need Favre to retire and I think we have a chance as much as any team.
Old 06.03.2010, 02:23 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
Agreed, it was a good day for the Bears.

I think Peppers will be a good signing even though we are paying him quite a lot of money. I am not sure I think he does Harris any favours though tbh. The whole notion of guys being doubled is something of a myth, in fact Harris saw a whole lot more of single protection than Adams simply because teams tend to leave the RG in one-on-one protection and slide the centre to the left if he is not picking up blitzers from the second level.

Harris has shown in glimpses that he can still get it done but it is all about health with him. Even if he doesn't though I firmly beleive that Idonije is potentially a top pass rushing DT, I have been very impressed with him over the last two seasons.
I hope, if anything, this will give Harris a huge kick up the backside. Peppers is no weak minded rookie looking to him for Leadership he'll take over the DL if Harris is not ready for the job.

I'm pretty stoked by this signing, it's like getting a brand new Richard Dent (one of my favorite players of all time) to me, I hope he lives up to my expectations

Quote:
I really like the Taylor signing. I think Forte is ok but mainly due to his blocking and receiving. There were also worries about his knees and work ethic last year I heard. Taylor is a very similar player but I think he has more moves so they will be able to spell them as they see fit I guess. Ideally they get 50/50 carries so neither breaks down. we can also put Bell in there too who looked decent down the stretch.
Can only agree here too, Forte is great when he's got some blocking, but when the line struggles his lane selection and reaction to a play was pretty weak last year, Taylor from what I saw of him was pretty good at scraping out 4 or 5 yards a play.

Can you see me dancing? I said I'd be dancing...

Quote:
I personally think Manumaleuna is a tad over-rated as blocker, not bad (like Gaines) but not a Jim Kleinsasser either. He will do a better job than what we have though either way.
I think he'll add a lot to our TE's, IF we keep Olsen (big if) then we've got a great reciving TE and a good blocking pass/run TE, but that may make us predictable so our playcalling would have to be top notch (gulp) in order to keep them both in the game.

Quote:
I must be alone in not being worried by safety. I just don't think it is that major a position in our scheme. If we can find a good second day player then great but I would be looking for a LG or RT first. We play too much deep zone protection for our safeties to be major influences. Unless we had a dynamic guy like Mike Brown which I doubt we can find. They are moving Manning to SS so I expect we will use him as an in the box blitzer from time to time. I would be happy if we find a FS but I don't think it is a massive issue if we do not.
Our offensive line needs some freshening up, that is my major concern now. Defensively I think we'll be okay if everyone comes back and stays fit. The defence should be fine now with the addition of Peppers who will give us that dynamic pass rush and stregthen us against the run, our LB's are okay another years experience will help them and we've got some very good corners/safteys, perhaps some depth might help but as you say I doubt we're going to find better than what we already have.

Quote:
I think we would do well to take a look at either Bobbie Williams or Rex Hadnot depending on their demands via Fa. Hopefully we find a good lineman in round 3.

Regardless, we are in a much stronger position than last year and Peppers can wreak some havoc on guys like McKinnie, Clifton and Backus. We only need Favre to retire and I think we have a chance as much as any team.
I'm stoked already.

I really am, a half decent draft and I think we'll be a contender in our division.

Thats all I ask, I'm not expecting miracles, just not to roll over and die too soon.

Last edited by dj stevie c; 06.03.2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06.03.2010, 07:16 PM
Pro

I think that Urlacher is getting over looked he is gear that makes the whole thing work he understands his role and everyone elses when hes out there which is really important to have in the huddle i feel. Him briggs with peppers and brown who i still like were goin to be playing defense again
Old 07.03.2010, 02:57 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob259er View Post
I think that Urlacher is getting over looked he is gear that makes the whole thing work he understands his role and everyone elses when hes out there which is really important to have in the huddle i feel. Him briggs with peppers and brown who i still like were goin to be playing defense again
Even with diminshed speed he is still a quality quality MLB. Imo the player who everybody said was overrated has become underrated recently. His understanding of the Cover 2 is invaluable. We saw last year on several occasions how Nick Roach's inexperience (still a very good LB) cost us. On paper at least out D is as strong as anybodys. Harris, Peppers, Urlacher and Briggs are elite players when healthy. Alex Brown was one of the few defensive players who stepped up his game last year. Tillman makes so many forced fumbles even if he does give up a play or two (our lack of QB pressure was a factor in that imo). We have good depth too at LB. Corner and Safety are slight concerns, secondary and in particular the cover 2 vareity performance is down to pressure up front. I'm optimistic, I think 10 wins is more than attainable and the division crown perhaps....early doors yet though
Old 08.03.2010, 02:58 PM
Starter

If we get the O-line sorted it certainly looks promising.
I know the offensive scheme is going to look a bit different this year, probably more mobile and a bit more smoke and mirrors...but that OL still has to perform better.

Still, it's really nice to see Peppers and Taylor heading our way...both are impact players which can swing a game our way.

An offence with Cutler and Marz both singing from the same page could be awesome to watch. Marry that to a defence with Urlacher, Harris and Peppers in full flow and 2010 could be a thing of beauty.

Cross your fingers for an injury free year.
Old 08.03.2010, 08:36 PM
Pro

What a off season so far! Picked a pretty good time to support the bears didnt i lol. Loving the signings so far. Chester taylor got loads left in the tank for his age, and as long as peppers attitude is right, then we could be onto a winner. Think urlacher is still one of the top mlb's in the league as well. Im quite a fan of olsen to be honest. But if we can get a second round pick back for trading him then im all up for it! Not that we are short on tight ends is it. We could do with more picks in the draft, get some fresh talent in to go with whats looking like a good roster for 2010 already im one happy bears fan
Old 09.03.2010, 10:42 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamthief View Post
If we get the O-line sorted it certainly looks promising.
O-line should be the highest priority on our draft-board; It wouldn't bother me if we had 5 rookie O-lineman in camp, just hoping to hit on one of them.
Old 09.03.2010, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

The offensive line clearly needs work. I think it needs two players ideally but there is no need for a mass overhaul we just have to execute better. Last year we struggled at three positions LT, RT and LG.

I think Chris Williams improved significantly playing LT instead of RT so that gives me hope.

It is Omiyale vs Schaffer at RT. I think either will be adequate but not great. Omiyale showed signs of improvement down the stretch and his pass blocking was ok, it was penalties and his shocking run blocking that was really poor.

At LG I could live with Beekman as starter, he is not incompetent and if Tice likes him he may keep the job.

In an ideal world we find somebody who can make an impact but to be honest I am expecting it.

Speaking of Tice, I think he is a good line coach, who brings guys on quite quickly. Without huge changes you can improve dramatically if the guys are better prepared and coached. That gives me more hope than FA or the Draft.

Looking at our draft history under Jerry Angelo (starting 2004 since Jauron had the decison making power before that) we don't take a lot of guys on the o-line in middle rounds. most of the guys we have picked up have been in R6 or R7 aside from Chris Williams and Beekman. I think that is a sign of guys coming off the board earlier, especially at OT.

If I were a betting man I would think we will go for a safety and corner assuming there are guys there they like. I would never rule out an offensive linemen but I think there is a trend more and more towards them going off the board early as every team seems to have needs there.