Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 394 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 06.12.2011, 09:43 AM
All Pro

I really hope Martz is gone and the Bears get an OC who plays to Cutler's strengths rather than being determined to fit Cutler into his own system. This is the Front Office's biggest decision and could determine where the Bears are headed in the next few seasons.
Old 06.12.2011, 10:40 AM
All Pro

I thought it was clear what Martz opinion of Hanie is when Todd Collins played ahead of him. I don't see there being any truth behind that rumour.

Hanie is still better than Collins!

I think Martz sees every successful run as a token he can cash-in later as a pass.

Cutler's opinion of Martz should carry a huge amount of weight looking forward.
Old 06.12.2011, 11:34 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
The Bears averaged just 3.9 per carry yesterday, so to say they were only opening holes for 5/6 yards per carry isn't correct. The problem with the Bears Offense is Martz. He gets away from the run far too easily.

Kahlil Bell had that long run that got the Offense into the Redzone. 1st Down was a run for no gain, 2nd Down was a incomplete pass and holding penalty for a loss of 10 yards and 3rd Down was a sack for loss of 7 yards. Martz must realise he needs to keep the ball out of Hanie's hands and pound the run. Eventually that would free up play action and screen passes.
Stu - I meant 5/6 yards after 2 downs not 1 !

Thats the problem with sticking to the run - if it doesn't give you anything on the first 2 downs - then the whole of the NFL is waiting for us to pass needing 3rd and long - its so bloody predictable every week - I agree that we are basically a running team - even Bell was impressive when he got he ball but the underlying problem with the O Line is not going to go away and that is making us very easy to read
Old 06.12.2011, 11:47 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor1228 View Post
Stu - I meant 5/6 yards after 2 downs not 1 !

Thats the problem with sticking to the run - if it doesn't give you anything on the first 2 downs - then the whole of the NFL is waiting for us to pass needing 3rd and long - its so bloody predictable every week - I agree that we are basically a running team - even Bell was impressive when he got he ball but the underlying problem with the O Line is not going to go away and that is making us very easy to read
Sorry I didn't explain correctly, from the stats, the O-Line created running lanes to gain 7/8 yards every TWO downs. If we have 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 2, you have many more options than 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 6/7. What this shows is if you stick with the run, you provide many more options on 3rd Down.

Ultimately, I don't think the O-Line is the problem at the moment. Prior to the game on Sunday they had been performing much better and the Bears Offense was gaining yards both on the ground and through the air. On Sunday, Hanie gave at least 2 and probably 3 sacks up himself by holding onto the ball. Also, when you are behind in the fourth quarter the Defense also know you are going to pass so brought pressure hence the large number of sacks.

Just a question, how often did the Bears call a run on the first two downs of a series on Sunday and only gain 5/6 yards?
Old 06.12.2011, 04:18 PM
All Pro

More or less, the sacks were created by a Defense than has no respect for the pass; that is to say: if we get after this QB he will throw a pick or runaway.

Denver's D is far more capable too...
Old 06.12.2011, 07:50 PM
Starter

Pass or run - there can be no denying the loss of Cutler has been devastating (and i'm not even going to mention Forte)

The Colts are probably wondering what all the fuss is about mind you !

Everything crossed for the game at Denver - season is on the line Sunday - and as mentioned their defence is looking pretty damm good !

I think the stats men at Chicagobears,com would be the only ones to answer your question btw Stu

Last edited by Professor1228; 06.12.2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07.12.2011, 08:34 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor1228 View Post
Pass or run - there can be no denying the loss of Cutler has been devastating (and i'm not even going to mention Forte)

The Colts are probably wondering what all the fuss is about mind you !

Everything crossed for the game at Denver - season is on the line Sunday - and as mentioned their defence is looking pretty damm good !

I think the stats men at Chicagobears,com would be the only ones to answer your question btw Stu
Totally agree about Cutler. I hope everyone now realises just how valuable he is to the Bears. He had played well this season without producing fantastic numbers but the lack of INTs was the most important thing from Jay.

I just don't see the Offense producing enough points against Denver's Defense to win the game. I believe the Bears D will contain Tebow and hold the Broncos to less than 20 points but unfortunately it won't be enough.
Old 07.12.2011, 10:24 AM
Starter

Without Cutler can't see us winning a game for the rest of the year. All we have to look forward to is moving up the draft board and hopefully a new OC who is solely responsible for playing to Cutlers strenghs.

I know its a long shot but a good draft and a healthy 6 and 22 should make us a decent team next year.
Old 08.12.2011, 09:36 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhap View Post
Without Cutler can't see us winning a game for the rest of the year. All we have to look forward to is moving up the draft board and hopefully a new OC who is solely responsible for playing to Cutlers strenghs.

I know its a long shot but a good draft and a healthy 6 and 22 should make us a decent team next year.
Agree with all of that. This won't be a popular view but missing out on the playoffs will be a good thing. Improve our draft position, bring in who we need from FA and start from a good position for 2012/13.
Old 08.12.2011, 11:16 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesJames View Post
Agree with all of that. This won't be a popular view but missing out on the playoffs will be a good thing. Improve our draft position, bring in who we need from FA and start from a good position for 2012/13.
I too agree with this, the only thing getting me down , is what if , cutler and Forte werent injured our run in was pretty good compared to the other wild cards but like you say , lets get a good draft and free agency for us to build on next season