Four NFL London Games to be played in 2019 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 30.10.2018, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default Four NFL London Games to be played in 2019

The NFL concluded its 2018 London Games Series with a record attendance of 85,870 as the Philadelphia Eagles defeated the Jacksonville Jaguars 24-18 at Wembley Stadium on Sunday (October 28).

Having staged three sold-out games at Wembley in consecutive weeks, the NFL has confirmed plans to play four times in London in 2019, including two more games at Wembley Stadium and the League's first two games at the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium. It will bring the total number of regular-season games played in London to 28 since the series began in 2007.

Speaking in Washington, DC, UK Minister for Sport Tracey Crouch said: "The NFL in London is going from strength to strength and I am delighted that we will have four games in the capital next year, with Tottenham Hotspur's new stadium joining Wembley as a host venue. The League brings an incredible Super Bowl-style atmosphere to the UK, with fans sporting jerseys from a range of NFL teams packing out Wembley this autumn in record numbers. I am sure the two games at Tottenham next year will also be a huge success as the UK will once again show its passion and enthusiasm for this fantastic sport."

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: "London is the world's sporting capital and hosting NFL matches here is fantastic for fans of American football in the UK as well as supporters from all over Europe. The NFL brings huge benefits for our city and showcases London to millions of viewers overseas. We’ve staged some mouth-watering matches here and hope to host even more in the years to come as we demonstrate that London Is Open."

The NFL's London Games achieved an average attendance of 85,031 over the past month and brought the total number of teams to have played in London to 29 out of the NFL's 32 clubs. "The games in the past few weeks have once again demonstrated the incredible passion of NFL fans in the UK," said Mark Waller, NFL Executive Vice President, International. "The support of our stadium partners, the Mayor of London and the Minister for Sport gives us a great foundation for further development of the sport and the ability to give our fans even more NFL games in the coming years."
Old 30.10.2018, 02:00 PM
Pro

So high chance then that all 4 games being at Wembley due to Spurs not finishing their stadium :-)
Old 30.10.2018, 02:28 PM
Team Captain

Great news now we can start with the speculation and rumours as too who will be over. My hunch is that the Jags will host the Texans as one of the three teams that have not been over yet. Any other thoughts/rumours etc
Old 30.10.2018, 02:36 PM
Rookie

Yep I think that's highly likely, I remember seeing that the NFL wants to have had all 32 team play in the UK by 2020 and 4 games gives them a great opportunity to get the remaining 3 teams over. Bearing this in mind, and SB hosts & stadium moves these are my guesses:

Texans @ Jags
Packers @ Rams/Chargers
Panthers @ Buccaneers
???????? @ Raiders
Old 30.10.2018, 02:41 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeFunct View Post
Yep I think that's highly likely, I remember seeing that the NFL wants to have had all 32 team play in the UK by 2020 and 4 games gives them a great opportunity to get the remaining 3 teams over. Bearing this in mind, and SB hosts & stadium moves these are my guesses:

Texans @ Jags
Packers @ Rams/Chargers
Panthers @ Buccaneers
???????? @ Raiders
Yes I thought they wanted to get the last three over soon. When does the superbowl host rule kick in?
Old 30.10.2018, 02:46 PM
Rookie

Possibly see Raiders v Chargers in Mexico? Surely they both have decent followings there?
Old 30.10.2018, 02:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwebster09 View Post
Yes I thought they wanted to get the last three over soon. When does the superbowl host rule kick in?
It was voted on back in 2014, can't find anything that states an action date so either it was active from the season following the vote, or it's not active yet.

Theoretically the Falcons could be over again as they have had a new stadium and host the SB this season. Last time they were over was 2014.

Last edited by DeeFunct; 30.10.2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added quote
Old 30.10.2018, 02:39 PM
Starter

So in addition to the Jaguars, we can expect to see the Raiders, Chargers and the Rams because of their temporary home status in the U.S

Looking at the home games for those teams next year, there's a good opportunity to get 2 of the 3 teams that haven't been to London yet to come over next year:

Texans @ Jaguars
Packers @ Chargers

I am pretty sure those will be 2 of the 4 London games next year.

The NFL also has an agreement to play games in Mexico through 2021, so one of the Raiders or Rams might not be coming to London. Hopefully the Raiders go back to Mexico

In any case, to stage 5 International games next year there has to be an additional team that willingly gives up a home game.
Old 31.10.2018, 08:43 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamed7 View Post
So in addition to the Jaguars, we can expect to see the Raiders, Chargers and the Rams because of their temporary home status in the U.S

Looking at the home games for those teams next year, there's a good opportunity to get 2 of the 3 teams that haven't been to London yet to come over next year:

Texans @ Jaguars
Packers @ Chargers

I am pretty sure those will be 2 of the 4 London games next year.
The Jaguars will be scheduled to play two of the teams that haven't been over before.

The schedule rotation means AFC South teams will have NFC South teams in their schedule, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jags vs Panthers as one of the Wembley games.
Old 31.10.2018, 10:18 AM
Rookie

I hope that the Jags stay for 2 games and the other is Falcons