Do we need a Safety?? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 05.08.2010, 08:18 PM

Thing is, we didn't exactly get much from Ken Hamlin the past two years so, evilly thinking - Alan Ball doesn't have a lot to live up to.

But those who know him and have watched him have faith in him, which is good enough for me. Michael Hamlin was a great pick up in the fifth round but is even more unproven. And then we have Akwasi Owusu-Ansah who surely won't see any real playing time on defence (though he might get a shot at kick returns). He's another for the future.

So, inexperienced? Yes. But talented. And enough depth IMO.

The other reason is we really overpaid for Hamlin and I don't think Jerry is going to do that again with safeties. I know there's the argument that they can make or break a team - Polamalu, Sanders to name just two with great impact on their team - but the Cowboys identity on defense, and Wade Phillips' teams on defense are not identified by their safeties. Sharper wanted a lot of money and Otogwe, frankly for however much he is rated was worth nowhere near what was shelled out to him.

And don't forget Pat Watkins in all this. Granted he's probably just a career back-up (not to mention a stellar special teams player) but he has some experience and if all else fails can slot in and do a job.
Old 08.08.2010, 09:46 AM
Pro Bowler

To be honest, the kicker situation makes me more nervous than safety.