Miles Austin - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 26.12.2010, 09:13 AM
All Pro

Default Miles Austin

Hey guys, ive been debating starting this thread for a few weeks now and the Cards game convinced me to do it.

What do you guys think to Miles this year? His stats and yards dont read to badly but if you go back and look at a lot of picks weve had this year a fair few can be attributed to Miles.

Whether it be tipped balls or slipping during routes hes hurt this team quite a bit. I appreciate the way he comes quickly out of cuts may cause him to lose footing but it happens a bit too much imo. Also a few of his tips could be put down to poor throws but i wonder if Miles short arms catches a bit when in traffic?!

No denying the guy is still a big play threat as he proved again last night. I just hope we can put this season down to defenses adjusting to him and that Miles will learn to deal with the extra attention that comes his way. A 2nd year Dez Bryant will certainly help him out in that department.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this lads.
Old 26.12.2010, 12:36 PM
Team Captain

I feel your frustrations with him but maybe we are asking too much in contrast to his monster year in 09

He still has just short of 1000 yards and 8TDS(1 rushing) this year. He is clean on his cuts and a constant threat in spite of the obvious increased attention from dbs and double teams.

I think if you were to look at our season as a whole you can point the finger at many other players aside from Austin ie colombo, Jenkins, Williams(bar the first few games) the running back core, the whole oline and dbs teams.

He did indeed slip last night but if you look at the game Witten and others slipped on occasion giving me the opinion the pitch had a big hand in this last night

As you say with Romo back and Bryant on the other side next year we will see more big plays/yards from Austin. He is reaching elite wr status and a third year of high stats next season will put him there, am sure of it. Wide receiver is certainly not an area we need to worry about for a few years
Old 26.12.2010, 04:10 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhudson82 View Post
I feel your frustrations with him but maybe we are asking too much in contrast to his monster year in 09

He still has just short of 1000 yards and 8TDS(1 rushing) this year. He is clean on his cuts and a constant threat in spite of the obvious increased attention from dbs and double teams.

I think if you were to look at our season as a whole you can point the finger at many other players aside from Austin ie colombo, Jenkins, Williams(bar the first few games) the running back core, the whole oline and dbs teams.

He did indeed slip last night but if you look at the game Witten and others slipped on occasion giving me the opinion the pitch had a big hand in this last night

As you say with Romo back and Bryant on the other side next year we will see more big plays/yards from Austin. He is reaching elite wr status and a third year of high stats next season will put him there, am sure of it. Wide receiver is certainly not an area we need to worry about for a few years
Dont get me wrong i wasnt in any way saying we need to think about the receiving core. I was just trying to gauge other peoples opinions on Austin this year.

I also stated that his stats did indeed point to a decent year but the fact that he seemed to have developed a nasty habit of dropping very catchable balls and having balls bounce of him to be picked off.

When Miles broke out last year i remember thinking what great hands he had. This year he seems to have forgotten the basics. I hope he gets back to catching the ball 1st then running with it!!
Old 26.12.2010, 06:15 PM
All Pro

I can understand your frustrations, its evident in watching games he isn't quite as sharp as he was last year and I too have noticed this, but as Jhud says, whilst he hasn't been brilliant, nor has anyone really!

Bring on 2011
Old 27.12.2010, 02:57 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman_is_god View Post
Hey guys, ive been debating starting this thread for a few weeks now and the Cards game convinced me to do it.

What do you guys think to Miles this year? His stats and yards dont read to badly but if you go back and look at a lot of picks weve had this year a fair few can be attributed to Miles.

Whether it be tipped balls or slipping during routes hes hurt this team quite a bit. I appreciate the way he comes quickly out of cuts may cause him to lose footing but it happens a bit too much imo. Also a few of his tips could be put down to poor throws but i wonder if Miles short arms catches a bit when in traffic?!

No denying the guy is still a big play threat as he proved again last night. I just hope we can put this season down to defenses adjusting to him and that Miles will learn to deal with the extra attention that comes his way. A 2nd year Dez Bryant will certainly help him out in that department.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this lads.
I wonder if his cleats are long enough if he is slipping as much as you say.I do not follow any Cowboy receiver other than when my team is playing them or one of my players is playing against the Cowboys.I can't imagine he is slipping on in door fields but out doors stadiums I see that happening if he doesn't use a longer cleat esp when the field is wet.Just my observation but I could be way off the mark.
Old 27.12.2010, 10:21 AM
All Pro

I'm not worried by Austin's form.... Remember this year he is being double teamed as well as having the No1 CB cover him and he has been handicapped by the fact we don't have much of a running game.... Also losing Romo has hurt him and next season when both Romo and Dezzie fit and back, Austin's numbers will improve.
That said. in fairness his numbers aren't that bad this year considering how bad we have been.
Old 27.12.2010, 10:43 AM
Team Captain

i believe that even tho he had his breakout year last season it takes a bad team season like this year to prove that he is excellent. With a bad team display for pretty much the entire season it shows how good he is to still put up good numbers. i think that next season he will do much better with dez being fit and a better quaterback. we just need to get the running game up to scratch.
Old 14.01.2011, 01:55 PM
Team Captain

I think our play calling went very cautious on offense at times this season. We weren't throwing deep once Romo got hurt, and we didn't set up the pass with a strong run game often enough either.

With our play book being cut down as it was, I think we became too predictable, and that contributed to the coverage being better, and Miles having to make more catches in a crowded situation.

Also, let's not forget, this is only his 1st season as a nailed on starter, who is already attracting the attention as the no.1 receiver on the team.

2011, will have Romo back under centre, Bryant in his his 2nd year as a genuine threat on the other side, that will draw attention away from Miles. Hopefully, we can sort the o-line in the off-season, not just for pass blocking, but some run blocking would be nice too. Then Miles gets a bit more room around him to show what he's got.

Romo, Austin and Dez could be an irresistable force next season.