Game Pass 2011 - UK Blackouts - Page 29 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 10.12.2011, 02:18 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean49 View Post
Acutaslly if anything there is a precedent, ESPN knows full well that NFLUK granted exclusivity to Sky and therefore would most likely insist on the same would they be in the position to demand so.

Agree with everything else you say though, don't know why people think ESPN = good and Sky = bad. It's all about money at the end of the day and both companies will do whatever they can to protect their investments.
such a good point. having spent a lot of time in the states, ESPN really aren't very good at all.
Old 11.12.2011, 05:02 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31 View Post
Other potential playoff teams play against the Packers in these games though. If they were showing the Packers against 3-10 teams, then you might think it's all about the Packers.

But the games with NY Giants and Oakland in Weeks 12 and 13 - these are as much about these playoff hopefuls as they are about the Packers.
Two issues. One is that the Packers are in. Where as other teams are actually playing to have a chance of being in. That is where the drama/story is. Bears/Broncs this week is a good example.

Secondly, having the same team back to back weeks is crap for fans who just have Sky. It was crap when Sky was pretty much all there was for the 6/9pm games, it is still crap now.

For unknown reasons, Sky seems to love Bengals, Raiders and less surprisingly, Packers and Steelers. For Gamepass owners, if you support those teams, it sucks balls. (Talking about 6/9pm games here, not late or Thursday games.

In regards to ESPN and blackouts, there is precedent in the form that all NFL games they have shown thus far, have not been blacked out on Gamepass. Same can be said for Channel 4 & 5.
That said, that doesn't mean much, as it all comes down to what the company wants and is trying to do. Come new contract time next year, if ESPN pays lots of money for exclusive UK rights to certain games, alas, NFL is greedy enough to give it to them.

As much as Gamepass is a nice product, the money they make off it will be peanuts in comparison to TV rights. So they will always screw over the fans if the money is right. Nature of the beast.
Was no different with the computer games right. For a sport famous for competition and parity, they went and signed a 10 year exclusivity deal with EA sports. Which meant the good game, ESPN 2K5 and the idea of betterment via competition went out the window and we are left with the year on year rehash of the crap which is the Madden game.

At the end of the day, the 6 day blackout is just straight out bent. And I do worry about next year, as it probably won't improve.
Old 11.12.2011, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Firstly, if this issue has already been addressed/covered already, then I apologise. I enclose a copy of an e-mail I have just sent to gamepass support, if anyone here knows the answer I would like to hear from you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was talking to one of the support team at neulion, who told me the subscription will end on Friday 6th January

Because of the rules in England regarding Sky TV, and their insistance of blacking out games for 6 days, the games they black out on the last day of the season, Sunday January 1st, will not be available until Saturday January 7th.

Does the Sky blackout still apply this week, will the games be available earlier so I can watch them, will you be able to extend the subscription so I can watch them.

When I signed up for NFL gamepass, it was under the description that every regular season game would be available for me to watch, if you end the subscription on January 6th, and Sky TV insist on blacking out the games until January 7th, then you will be in breach of the contract.
Old 11.12.2011, 10:18 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokubetsu View Post
Two issues. One is that the Packers are in. Where as other teams are actually playing to have a chance of being in. That is where the drama/story is. Bears/Broncs this week is a good example.

Secondly, having the same team back to back weeks is crap for fans who just have Sky. It was crap when Sky was pretty much all there was for the 6/9pm games, it is still crap now.

For unknown reasons, Sky seems to love Bengals, Raiders and less surprisingly, Packers and Steelers. For Gamepass owners, if you support those teams, it sucks balls. (Talking about 6/9pm games here, not late or Thursday games.

In regards to ESPN and blackouts, there is precedent in the form that all NFL games they have shown thus far, have not been blacked out on Gamepass. Same can be said for Channel 4 & 5.
That said, that doesn't mean much, as it all comes down to what the company wants and is trying to do. Come new contract time next year, if ESPN pays lots of money for exclusive UK rights to certain games, alas, NFL is greedy enough to give it to them.

As much as Gamepass is a nice product, the money they make off it will be peanuts in comparison to TV rights. So they will always screw over the fans if the money is right. Nature of the beast.
Was no different with the computer games right. For a sport famous for competition and parity, they went and signed a 10 year exclusivity deal with EA sports. Which meant the good game, ESPN 2K5 and the idea of betterment via competition went out the window and we are left with the year on year rehash of the crap which is the Madden game.

At the end of the day, the 6 day blackout is just straight out bent. And I do worry about next year, as it probably won't improve.
The main issue I would say about Sky game choice, is they pick them too soon. I don't know if there is any reason why, but the Week 15 haven't been announced yet, so presumably notice isn't a massive issue.

One of the worst examples is when they selected Weeks 4-6 after just 2 games and as such wouldn't at that stage have anticipated the game of Week 6 was Lions v 49ers and consequently that wasn't shown.

In regard to the current week, had they waited for the outcome of last weeks games, then I'd agree that the Bears v Broncos might look the better bet. That said, this is partially said with the benefit of hindsight seeing them already 20+ points in the hole before HT.

Last edited by PavlovsDog; 11.12.2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 29.12.2011, 11:24 AM
Rookie

Unhappy Playoffs?

I'm not sure whether to sign up for playoff coverage given the blackout situation this year. I could live with last year's one day blackout, but 6 days means it's very unlikely I will avoid the scores and therefore it's not worth the money...especially as Sky will be showing a lot of games I suspect.

Can anyone confirm the blackout situation for the playoffs in the UK please?
Old 29.12.2011, 12:44 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by howebzar@btconnect.com View Post
I'm not sure whether to sign up for playoff coverage given the blackout situation this year. I could live with last year's one day blackout, but 6 days means it's very unlikely I will avoid the scores and therefore it's not worth the money...especially as Sky will be showing a lot of games I suspect.

Every game is shown on Sky, I believe Playoff games are not available on Gamepass in the UK.
Old 29.12.2011, 02:43 PM
Starter

You have to wait 6 days until you can watch a playoff game on Gamepass. You can watch the superbowl on Gamepass live though.

Also will the blackouted games for week 16 be on gamepass a day early this week? As the games were played on Saturday.
Old 31.12.2011, 11:36 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southowramonsea View Post
You can watch the superbowl on Gamepass live though.
Actually I'm pretty sure you can't. You certainly couldn't last year - I tried
Old 01.01.2012, 12:58 PM
Pro Bowler

The Superbowl is on the BBC though and everyone must have that.
Old 02.01.2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howebzar@btconnect.com View Post

I can confirm that all playoff games are subject to the same blackout rules as regular season as they are aired on Sky. There is no Playoffs subscription for those within the UK; only an "Offseason Subscription" which allows access to Game Pass starting today through July 31st. For Offseason subscribers, you will have access to Playoff and Super Bowl games 6 days after they have aired, same blackout rules as regular season.

Tags
black out , blackout , blackouts , game pass , gamepass