European League discussion (La Liga, Ligue 1 etc) - Page 152 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

  #1511  
Old 08.12.2018, 03:00 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Its rumoured Real Madrid (& other Spanish sides) have been doping their players for years using dubious clinics. WADA have reported in the past that they were alarmed by the lack of testing in La Liga
OperaciĆ³n Puerto. All about cycling, wasn't it? Except it wasn't. There were blood bags in that Madrid clinic belonging to high profile tennis players, top flight Liga football teams, and others. But those sports' governing bodies buried it and the narrative was allowed to develop that it was all about cycling. We don't even know which teams were involved, let alone the players, though I'd heard strong rumours one of the teams was Real Sociedad.
Reply With Quote
  #1512  
Old 08.12.2018, 03:02 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Sad that such is the state of Serie A, particularly the situations involving the historically bigger clubs, Juventus have out grown the league. They are light years ahead of the rest both on and off the field. Italian complacency in the mid 90's onwards has led to a crumbling infrastructure, lack of investment and poorly formulated TV deals have led to a horrible lack of competition to Juventus who have gone their own way with great success

But there is plenty of interesting stuff going on away from the usual names suc as the re-emergence of Parma, the continuing growth of Sassuolo and the return of SPAL after years in the wilderness and recent bankruptcy
Yeah it's a real shame. For me, maybe because of the era I grew up in, Serie A is still the league with the most in-depth 'name' value. But these days Juventus are just miles ahead of the rest. And yet they still haven't managed to win the Champions League in this recent era
Reply With Quote
  #1513  
Old 08.12.2018, 08:02 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Sad that such is the state of Serie A, particularly the situations involving the historically bigger clubs, Juventus have out grown the league. They are light years ahead of the rest both on and off the field. Italian complacency in the mid 90's onwards has led to a crumbling infrastructure, lack of investment and poorly formulated TV deals have led to a horrible lack of competition to Juventus who have gone their own way with great success

But there is plenty of interesting stuff going on away from the usual names suc as the re-emergence of Parma, the continuing growth of Sassuolo and the return of SPAL after years in the wilderness and recent bankruptcy
It'll be interesting to see what difference Beppe Marotta makes at Inter having moved on from Juve. It seems as if Inter have the resources to compete with Juve, but they need to someone to help push the club in the right direction. I. e. Build a squad capable of challenging.
Reply With Quote
  #1514  
Old 08.12.2018, 10:04 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
It'll be interesting to see what difference Beppe Marotta makes at Inter having moved on from Juve. It seems as if Inter have the resources to compete with Juve, but they need to someone to help push the club in the right direction. I. e. Build a squad capable of challenging.
Think the two Milan clubs' demise in the last 5-6 years is one of the main reasons why Juventus have dominated. In terms of stature and clout, the Milanese clubs are the only true rivals. I'm talking fanbase, sponsorship/earning potential etc. Napoli and the Rome clubs just can't compete with that. Partly the north-south divide in Italy (Rome isn't the south but it's also not the wealthy north). It's also that some players are apparently put off going to play in Rome or Naples because the fan scrutiny is just so intense down there. You don't get pestered in the street in Turin or Milan in the same way. So the Milanese duo are the logical best challengers, but for various reasons it just hasn't happened in recent years.
Reply With Quote
  #1515  
Old 08.12.2018, 10:16 PM
Two-minute drill's Avatar
Two-minute drill Two-minute drill is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 10.09.2006
Posts: 5,309
Default

meelan have appointed the snake ivan gazidis to oversee their 'return to eminence'.

tee hee hee
Reply With Quote
  #1516  
Old 09.12.2018, 01:34 PM
Two-minute drill's Avatar
Two-minute drill Two-minute drill is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 10.09.2006
Posts: 5,309
Default

the aforementioned sassuolo in what looked like a bit of a crazy 2nd half in 3-3 draw with fiorentina.

6 goals, 2 red cards and a 98th min equaliser.
Reply With Quote
  #1517  
Old 09.12.2018, 02:00 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Think the two Milan clubs' demise in the last 5-6 years is one of the main reasons why Juventus have dominated. In terms of stature and clout, the Milanese clubs are the only true rivals. I'm talking fanbase, sponsorship/earning potential etc. Napoli and the Rome clubs just can't compete with that. Partly the north-south divide in Italy (Rome isn't the south but it's also not the wealthy north). It's also that some players are apparently put off going to play in Rome or Naples because the fan scrutiny is just so intense down there. You don't get pestered in the street in Turin or Milan in the same way. So the Milanese duo are the logical best challengers, but for various reasons it just hasn't happened in recent years.
Yeah, the Milanese clubs certainly need to step up their game. Interesting that Milan seem to have shelved their new Stadium plans. Juve's approach of a smaller, modern stadium, appears to be the way forward for Italian clubs (if they can afford it). I wonder if leaving Inter as the sole inhabitants of the historical Giuseppe Meazza played a part in that?
Reply With Quote
  #1518  
Old 09.12.2018, 02:02 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-minute drill View Post
the aforementioned sassuolo in what looked like a bit of a crazy 2nd half in 3-3 draw with fiorentina.

6 goals, 2 red cards and a 98th min equaliser.
Kevin Mirallas popping up with the equaliser I see. No doubt he'll go missing for several games now.
Reply With Quote
  #1519  
Old 19.01.2019, 05:57 PM
Two-minute drill's Avatar
Two-minute drill Two-minute drill is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 10.09.2006
Posts: 5,309
Default

guingamp made PSG angry after putting them out of the coupe de la ligue last week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFQkQ1-D2g4

9-0

mbappe and cavani hattrick.
Reply With Quote
  #1520  
Old 21.01.2019, 01:35 PM
Crash11's Avatar
Crash11 Crash11 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 07.09.2006
Posts: 16,914
Default

Barcelona set to sign Kevin Prince-Boateng from Sassuolo

This is not the calibre of signing you'd expect from them. The relative expensive failures of Coutinho, Malcom & Demebele have seriously affected them
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 02:57 AM.