First round contracts/holdouts list - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 02.08.2009, 02:15 PM
Pro Bowler

Whatever his reason the guy should be happy to not only have a job, but to be doing something he loves doing and getting paid millions of dollars to do it. I`m sure it`s really impressing the people in the states who have lost their jobs....there`s a recession on in America ffs.

What`s he going to do with the extra million or two? Buy mo ho`s and another Maybach?
Old 02.08.2009, 03:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Breitenbach View Post
You can't claim you have the talent to be top 5 if you're not picked there. It just doesn't work that way. If he was top 5 talent then surely someone would have traded up to get him prior to the 10th pick. Maybe the fact that he had major surgery had an effect ...
Randy Moss was picked 21 overall - There's not a soul in the NFL that didn't universally agree he was the most talented WR in that draft. AT THE TIME.
Old 02.08.2009, 03:55 PM
Starter

britt and nicks have signed now so hopefully Harvin will be next WR to sign
Old 02.08.2009, 04:26 PM
All Pro

Harvin's signed - per Sid Hartman and PFT - which admittedly might be the 2 most unreliable sources on earth.
Old 02.08.2009, 04:43 PM
MVP

Quote:
You can't claim you have the talent to be top 5 if you're not picked there. It just doesn't work that way. If he was top 5 talent then surely someone would have traded up to get him prior to the 10th pick. Maybe the fact that he had major surgery had an effect ...
The problem with your post is the logic it's based upon. The NFL draft is not some ultra-rational meritocracy, players are picked based upon the best fit for the team. If Green Bay had picked a kicker or long snapper at #9, would you consider that player to be more talented than the leading NCAA receiver over the past two seasons?
Old 02.08.2009, 04:54 PM
MVP

I understand all this but there is one fact to consider here and that is the place in the draft where the player was taken. If you don't think anyone in the top 5 will pick you then stay in colledge for another year. I don't care if anyone says Randy Moss was the most talented WR because that is simply opinion compared to where you're drafted which is fact. The price may vary considering the position, so a WR may get more than a C but it should be relative to where you're taken. Clearly Oakland saw DHB as a better player than Crabtree so Crabtree should not get more money than him.
Old 02.08.2009, 04:58 PM
All Pro

It might be opinion, but it was the opinion of EVERYBODY. Moss fell to 21 because of a litany of off-field problems - there wasn't a single person, anywhere, that would argue he wasn't easily the most talented and best WR in that draft. At the time or after.

You'd be a total and utter moron to try and claim that because he was drafted 21 he was less talented than Kevin Dyson, the 1 WR taken above him.
Old 02.08.2009, 05:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
It might be opinion, but it was the opinion of EVERYBODY. Moss fell to 21 because of a litany of off-field problems - there wasn't a single person, anywhere, that would argue he wasn't easily the most talented and best WR in that draft. At the time or after.

You'd be a total and utter moron to try and claim that because he was drafted 21 he was less talented than Kevin Dyson, the 1 WR taken above him.
I don't think I should have used the world talent though, I should have written you can't claim as a player that you should have been taken higher.

When you evaluate a player you don't only focus on talent. Clearly the off the field issues weighed against the talent led to him being taken at 21. I'm sure there have been plenty of players is similar circumstances with exceptional talent but bad "attitude" who have just had loads of suspensions, Pacman Jones springs to ming, and therefore didn't warrant the pick used on him.
Old 02.08.2009, 05:06 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I understand all this but there is one fact to consider here and that is the place in the draft where the player was taken. If you don't think anyone in the top 5 will pick you then stay in colledge for another year. I don't care if anyone says Randy Moss was the most talented WR because that is simply opinion compared to where you're drafted which is fact. The price may vary considering the position, so a WR may get more than a C but it should be relative to where you're taken. Clearly Oakland saw DHB as a better player than Crabtree so Crabtree should not get more money than him.
The raiders saw DHB as a better fit for their system, not a better player
Al Davis knew that crabtree was a far better player but he took the fastest guy in the draft because he still wants Jim Plunkett to cliff branch football. Davis is a guy who drafted a kicker in round one so you cannot hold his judgement very highly

Crabtree definately should not get top 5 money because he was the tenth pick but there is no doubt he was in the top 3 of talent in the draft, teams that picked 1-9 just had more pressing needs than wideout
Old 02.08.2009, 05:08 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
Harvin's signed - per Sid Hartman and PFT - which admittedly might be the 2 most unreliable sources on earth.

yep just seen it updated on rotoworld .....great news

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clu...jteam=MIN&#160

Tags
contract , holdout , rookie