Free Agents - Who you wanna keep? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New England Patriots

Old 09.02.2017, 06:59 AM
All Pro

Default Free Agents - Who you wanna keep?

OK guys I know we're still in the glow of another Super Bowl victory but as Bill says, we're 5 weeks behind on the rest of the NFL when it comes to preparation for next year. No days off!

Which free agents do you wanna keep on the roster? I'll have a go:

Hightower - keep, lock him up for 5 years. You didn't trade Collins to let this guy walk, he's made huge plays in two SB wins.
Butler (RFA) - lock him down for 4 or 5 as well, secure that CB position.
Bennett - let him taste free agency and sign him to a two year deal if he doesn't get money elsewhere.
Ryan - same as Bennett, but I think someone will pay him to be a #1 corner so bye I guess.
Blount - I'm not that much of a fan. I'd let him walk.
Sheard - this is the guy I want opposite Flowers so I'd sign him up.
Vollmer - see ya! Too injury-prone to get anything beyond backup money and I don't mean Marcus Cannon backup money either.
Branch - bring him back!
Develin - bring him back, fullbacks are cheap.
Long - as I said, I want Sheard so I'd be prepared to let Long walk.
Mingo - showed promise early but didn't have as big a role later. Bye!
Floyd - might take a team-friendly one year deal so he can play with Brady and put up numbers, but beyond that, see ya!
Bolden - good on ST but not much of a back. Minimum contract? Sure. More? Bye!
Harmon - bring this guy back, he's reliable and makes a lotta meaningless interceptions to wrap up championship games

Did I miss anyone important?
Old 09.02.2017, 10:15 AM
Team Captain

I've given up trying to second guess who Bill will keep and let walk.

Every year I see us let players walk who I think will make us go backwards and every year we just keep going with new players without missing a beat.

It'd be nice to keep Hightower but I read somewhere that he rejected an offer earlier in the season, so maybe he's looking to get paid and he'll be gone.

It'd also be nice to keep Butler.

Personally I'd like to keep Bennett as I like him as a character and even though he is no Gronk, his presence meant we didn't miss him as much as we might have done once he was out.
I also think if we had a season with no injuries on offence (not likely), 2 tightends in Gronk and Bennett, along with Edelman, Amendola and Hogan, and then Lewis and White in the backfield, we'd have so many options that we would give opposing defences nightmares.
Them two receiving tight ends would potentially open everything up for us.

I think Bennett will get an offer somewhere though and go.
Old 10.02.2017, 07:07 PM
Hall of Fame

you might as well add Amendola to that list as he has a $7.8m cap hit in 2017 which was always going to be too much.

Hightower hopefully gets his deal done or the $14mish Tag will be used.

we offered Bennett a $7m a year extension when we traded for him so guess he is looking for $8m+ a year which maybe to much

Floyd will be interesting,the patriots where the only team that put in a claim when the cardinals released him so wonder what kind of market there is for him.maybe we keep him or Bennett.

Branch may get some better offers but if teams offer him $4m a year at his age guess we will find another 2 down DT for cheaper.

Blount will be back,after what happened with the Steelers guessing teams will be worried about his attitude.he is the perfect fit with Belichick.

Ryan will be gone as desperate teams will give him $9/10m,the only way he stays is if Belichick picks him long term over Butler.(see Seymour/Wilfork).

Harmon would be a nice guy to get re-signed but not sure how many decent free agent safety's are hitting the market this year.

Bolden will be back,key special teams guy.

Sheard had a great 2015 but this year definetly had a down year which maybe affects his free-agency numbers.he only had 5 sacks this year so maybe he becomes a candidate for a new 1 year deal.

Long was a great pick up who turned down more money to come to new england so if he doesn't retire why would he not do his league minimum incentive type deal again.Long is a guy who can only give you 20 or so snaps a game so if he does leave guess we can find a replacement along the veterans who become cap casualties.

the one thing to remember with all our free agents is the Lions/Titans have there front offices ran by ex-pats GM's so even more than the other 29 teams wonder if they will over-value some of our guys to a point its drives the market to high.

Last edited by lee harris 10; 10.02.2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12.02.2017, 09:45 PM
All Pro

I bet we tag Hightower - I'm not sure he's worth top LB money atm (he needs to prove he can stay healthy for more than 10 games a year...)

Butler will be kept easy

Bennett/Ryan - we will make offers but I imagine they get much more money elsewhere.

I wanna keep Harmon, Branch, Long, Develin

I want to see Blount, Bolden, Sheard all go

I imagine Vollmer will retire and I couldn't care less about Michael Floyd

Hopefully we keep Amendola at a lower cap hit. The definition of a big game, big moment clutch WR. (And a jet killer!)
Old 13.02.2017, 06:11 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
I bet we tag Hightower - I'm not sure he's worth top LB money atm (he needs to prove he can stay healthy for more than 10 games a year...)
He's never played less than 12 games in a season and he's made huge plays in both Super Bowl victories he's been a part of (at the end of the season, when most likely to be playing hurt...). You traded Jamie Collins away. If you let Hightower go, this season or next, it's a failure to keep one of your top talents in my eyes.
Old 13.02.2017, 08:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory426 View Post
He's never played less than 12 games in a season and he's made huge plays in both Super Bowl victories he's been a part of (at the end of the season, when most likely to be playing hurt...). You traded Jamie Collins away. If you let Hightower go, this season or next, it's a failure to keep one of your top talents in my eyes.
we are going to keep Hightower but the knee/shoulder injuries are a long term concern going forward and if we are going to guarantee $25-30m we better hope he can continue to play through the pain or we will have to manage him more through the regular season.
Old 16.02.2017, 06:45 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
we are going to keep Hightower but the knee/shoulder injuries are a long term concern going forward and if we are going to guarantee $25-30m we better hope he can continue to play through the pain or we will have to manage him more through the regular season.
Of course it's somewhat of a concern but to me it's a more minor concern than some people (fans and media) are making it out to be. He's been consistently one of the best defensive players on the team. This Pats D is going to look a lot different next year anyway, so he's a piece you need to keep. (Not that retooling this D would be a completely bad thing, it was overrated last year)
Old 25.02.2017, 09:17 PM
Hall of Fame

we now have our full draft picks set now.

1st round 32
2nd round 64
3rd round 96-103
4th round 137
5th round 163-183
7th round 239

so 4 picks in the first 3 rounds(so far) and also around $63m in current cap space,not a bad position for the champions.

combine next week but Belichick has so far not been scheduled to officially address the media,pretty much every other HC/GM are on the official list put out by the NFL.sure its Bill been Bill.