Four NFL London Games to be played in 2019 - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 31.10.2018, 11:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Rivers Titan View Post
Good that we have four games to look forwards to next year, any hints on when the dates etc are likely to be announced?
I don't know, but last year more of the details (like dates, times) were kept back until the standard US schedule release in late April. Which certainly didn't seem to affect ticket sales. So I dare say they'll do the same next year if they can because putting the schedule together is difficult enough already and each detail you fix beforehand limits your options for the rest of the schedule. They'll probably announce the matchups in December or January but not the other details.
Old 31.10.2018, 11:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divv3k View Post
It's one home game every season. The Chargers relocation to LA was announced after the 2017 International Series games had already been confirmed.

The rule was approved in 2014. There's multiple articles online confirming this. Here's one:
https://www.si.com/2014/10/22/nfl-in...obal-expansion

Owners approved new rules at the recent league meetings to secure more London “home” teams, as first reported by the Sports Business Journal. Super Bowl host teams, starting with the next bid, will give up one home game to London over a five-year period, and any future teams using a temporary stadium (the Vikings are exempt) will play one game per season in London.
I think teams in a temporary home must play one Internatiknal game per season (not specifically London), which is why the Rams played in Mexico this year.

Fully expect the Chargers back next year as 85,000 in Wembley (or 65,000 at Spurs), with all the hospitality/corporate space available, can surely generate a lot more cash than a game in the 30,000 capacity stadium they're using at present.
Old 31.10.2018, 11:32 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird27 View Post
I think teams in a temporary home must play one Internatiknal game per season (not specifically London), which is why the Rams played in Mexico this year.

Fully expect the Chargers back next year as 85,000 in Wembley (or 65,000 at Spurs), with all the hospitality/corporate space available, can surely generate a lot more cash than a game in the 30,000 capacity stadium they're using at present.
Plus it is less of a road game atmosphere in London than at home unfortunately.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/10/08/ch...angeles-crowd/

The NFL made a huge mistake having the Chargers relocate to Los Angeles.
Old 31.10.2018, 11:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Plus it is less of a road game atmosphere in London than at home unfortunately.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/10/08/ch...angeles-crowd/

The NFL made a huge mistake having the Chargers relocate to Los Angeles.

It really does seem destined to fail. Perhaps a further relocation is on the cards - London Chargers has a bit of a ring to it...
Old 01.11.2018, 07:56 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird27 View Post
It really does seem destined to fail. Perhaps a further relocation is on the cards - London Chargers has a bit of a ring to it...
Would they get the support here though? Are there enough UK based Chargers supporters to keep them going?
Old 01.11.2018, 09:07 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Rivers Titan View Post
Would they get the support here though? Are there enough UK based Chargers supporters to keep them going?
There's just no telling. But you have to think it is aimed not at existing Chargers fans in the UK, nor existing committed fans of other teams, but more new fans or people who previously didn't have a team. London is the most logical team for a newcomer to get behind if they are playing games here, perhaps with free TV covering all their away games or something, and TalkSport covering them on the radio, Evening Standard etc. You've kind of seen it with the Jags already. The Jags have a much bigger UK fanbase now than they did in 2008, say. That's not because Jacksonville is a glamour city, because the team has won 4 Super Bowls, or is always good, or has a star QB. It is entirely because they play here every year and fans get to see their team play. In the end isn't that what people want, to see their team play live, not some other team? Currently I'd advise anyone getting into NFL who wants to go watch it live at the stadium to pick the Jags as their team.

I mean if you're a Steelers fan who goes to London games and doesn't go to games in America, you've seen live in the last 3 seasons the Browns, the Bengals and the Ravens. You've seen all your division rivals live and not your own team. So it's not like the current situation is a fan's dream once you're over the novelty of "wow, a football game".

Everyone is at different stages of their fan experience. But for a franchise to work it needs buy in from new fans I think, it's not really about old hands like me. If i'm the NFL I'm doing market research about who is coming to the games - is it new people, recent fans, fans who were there in 2007? And who is buying season tickets, who did in the past and isn't any longer, and if people are no longer coming to the games is it because they've stopped being NFL fans or they've decided to be a fan in a different way. It would tell you a lot about whether the fanbase is evolving, churning, growing without losing long term fans etc.

Linking back to LA, I guess you could say the Chargers have to wins fans in the medium term, not the short term. Currently LA is full of fans of other teams who aren't about to switch. But new fans may become Charger fans. What is less helpful is that there are 2 teams there and at least for now the Rams are both more established and performing better. And they left behind a reasonable (I won't say great) fanbase in San Diego.

Last edited by European Bob; 01.11.2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02.11.2018, 11:53 AM
Rookie

Per Shahid Khan's admission the Jaguars are only financially viable in Jacksonville due to their playing one home game a year in London. So if the Chargers (or some other team) were to relocate to London then Jacksonville becomes a less stable home for an NFL franchise. This is why I can't see any team other than the Jaguars ever relocating to the UK, especially with the following they've been cultivating over the last few years.

The Chargers home crowds are another issue that they'll need to solve at some point but I'm sure they'll wait to see how life in the new stadium goes before making any decisions about that. At the very least they're selling out StubHub Center tickets with a lot of help from opposition fans right now.

Looking at 2019 games I don't think the NFL will have a better opportunity at getting the Packers over than with the Chargers game next year. Less revenue lost out on from moving the game from LA due to the small size of the stadium there and less annoyed home team fans!
Old 02.11.2018, 01:15 PM
Team Captain

Makes sense that the packers chargers game comes here.More packers will be able to attend.
Would make for a nice curtain raiser for the Tottenham stadium.
Old 02.11.2018, 02:06 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divv3k View Post
Per Shahid Khan's admission the Jaguars are only financially viable in Jacksonville due to their playing one home game a year in London. So if the Chargers (or some other team) were to relocate to London then Jacksonville becomes a less stable home for an NFL franchise. This is why I can't see any team other than the Jaguars ever relocating to the UK, especially with the following they've been cultivating over the last few years.
I know they're trying, God bless them, but are the Jags actually cultivating much of a fanbase over here? They were literally the only team I didn't see anyone wearing their gear this year at Seattle-Oakland and any support that they were getting against Philly seemed more driven by fans of teams that don't like us rather than supporting the Jags specifically, with Baltimore also getting more support last year.
Old 02.11.2018, 02:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh View Post
I know they're trying, God bless them, but are the Jags actually cultivating much of a fanbase over here? They were literally the only team I didn't see anyone wearing their gear this year at Seattle-Oakland and any support that they were getting against Philly seemed more driven by fans of teams that don't like us rather than supporting the Jags specifically, with Baltimore also getting more support last year.
Oh yes let's not forget the, ahem, "86,000" UK Jaguars fans tosh as often quoted by the Jags and NFL in the US and over here. No there are not! 86, 000 people who have ticked a box on here or have entered competitions to win some very nice prizes, e.g. two weeks in Florida with flights and hotels all paid for.

We were clearly out numbered about ten to one I would say last week at Wembley. Ron Jaworski stated of the 60,000 Eagles season tickets holders 40,000 applied for tickets which is why tickets for the game were hard to come by. Eagles fans always seem to travel well and their first visit to Wembley generated particular interest. The Ravens outnumbered us last year too, but they had nothing to shout about. The Bills fans traveled in large numbers too.

Jacksonville based fans do come over, but as we play every year at Wembley the fans can pick and choose what year they come over.

Of the 86,000 "fans" I would argue less than 10% are actual Jags fans. Probably 20-30% are Jags "are my second team" with the remainder being "Ooooh I can win a shiny thing! Yes I'll sign up to your email Jaguars UK." At the Jags practice at Allianz Park for "UK Jags fans" I saw some of the "86,000 UK Jaguars fans" wearing Patriots, Jets, Seahawks, Bears and Giants gear. One guy from the BAFL Farnham Knights was interviewed by the Jags media and said something along the lines of "Oh I am not a Jags fan I just wanted to watch the practice to see if I could pick up anything to help my team when we practice".

When was the last Jags "fan event"? Years ago. They have now switched to growing the game with the Jags Sevens Tournament (First Prize this year tickets to the Super Bowl), 'Jag-Tag' a flag football variant for schools and the Jags Academy for 18-25 year old UK NFL players in July when some of the Jags Alumni and current coaches come over for three days in July.

Shad Khan quotes "brand recognition" as one of his achievements with the Jags going from 31st to 2nd or 7th (depending on what survey you use). Well there are flags on every seat Shad with the Jags logo on it! People know it's the Jaguars. They aren't fans they just recognise it is the Jags logo!

Sorry went on a bit there...