We Will Not Make The Play-Offs - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 07.12.2009, 03:45 PM
Starter

Default We Will Not Make The Play-Offs

Does anyone else feel we've over acheived this season (to this point)?

Personally I feel with The Chargers, Saints, Redskins and Eagles to play, Dallas will not win another game this season and our December woes will continue.

8-8 is what we'll finish up with and it won't be good enough to make the play-offs.

Anyone agree/disagree.

A disgruntled Cowboys fan.
Old 07.12.2009, 04:07 PM
Starter

Sorry for the intrusion. Much as it pains to say it, you'll win one game yet - the Redskins will (if it goes to form) find a way to lose it. Again. The others (on paper) look too good for you in December.

That puts you 9-7, not 8-8. By my reckoning you're up against the Giants and Pack for the 5th and 6th seed spots (I'm assuming the Eagles wrap up the East as I think they will). The Giants are 7-5 and will finish 9-7 (beating the Skins and the Panthers, losing to Eagles and Vikes. I presume they go ahead of you as they've beaten you twice.

The Pack are 7-4 and I guess more people would have them going 7-5 than 8-4 against the Ravens tonight. That leaves them with games against Bears, Steelers, Seahawks and Cardinals. They should get 2 wins from that and it's easy (IMO) to fancy them against the current Steelers and the Cards given that they may rest a few starters.

So short answer is I think you miss the playoffs at 9-7 and that is short of where I thought you'd be at the start of the season.

In all seriousness, if this happens, how long can a franchise put its faith in a QB who consistently slumps in Decemeber? What do you think Cowboys fans?
Old 07.12.2009, 04:14 PM

I don't think Tony Romo slumped yesterday.

The D and special teams gave up big plays, Barber fumbled the ball critically twice and the running game was poor/Giants D stopped it.

This game was not lost because of Tony Romo.
Old 07.12.2009, 04:23 PM
Starter

I have a tendancy to ramble in posts then try to make points too quickly as I've rambled too much.

To be clear, I wasn't attributing the loss to Romo - I was more referring to the general media perception of Romo in December/the Playoffs. If you don't make the post-season, or do but lose the wildcard game, regardless of fault, is there danger the Cowboys look for a new QB?

I'm interested as there's a similar situation at the Skins - Cambell isn't great but both he and Romo would be upgrades at QB for a lot of teams yet get a lot of Media flack. Campbell seems doomed this year and we'll blow a high first rounder on a QB rather than a quality OT in the draft. Any danger Romo just bears the brunt and how long can he do so?
Old 07.12.2009, 05:07 PM

We're locked into him.

And there's far bigger problems than him.

Wade is out of contract and done no matter what he can realistically lead the team to. Garrett has one year left and I think if Wade goes he isn't primed anymore to step up. Probably because your owner will force jerry into making a decision on Garrett. And I hope that it means he goes out and gets a Shanahan, a Holmgren or someone other than Garrett.

No, can't see Romo leaving Dallas. It would be daft, and akin to chucking the baby out with the bathwater.
Old 07.12.2009, 05:26 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarloPaul View Post
Probably because your owner will force jerry into making a decision on Garrett. And I hope that it means he goes out and gets a Shanahan, a Holmgren or someone other than Garrett.
Well I think our Owner will be making someone make a decision like that - I don't think a Holmgren type will want to touch the current mess that is the Skins front office. It wouldn't be the first time Snyder has looked to the 'Boys for his answer.

Interesting - though I've driven this away from the original point. I think I should let you Cowboys get back to discussing your playoff potential this season again.
Old 07.12.2009, 05:57 PM
Banned

There is no way on earth we lost because of Romo or the offence. Romo had amazing stats in that game. Just lost because of three big plays i can think about. The first was with Barber fumbling and at that point i knew we would not win, thus i went to bed with work in the morning. Punt return and for god sake a 70 odd yard Td by Jacobs. Now that was a joke when i seen it.
Old 07.12.2009, 06:29 PM
All Pro

If Dallas goes into the last game against the Eagles knowing a win will take them into the playoffs then i am very confident they will win... Last season's humilation will see to that as it did in the game in Phillie earlier this season.
As for the future we do need a fresh approach at the coaching position.. Garrett won't be the answer and i hope JJ goes out there and gets the right man and allows him to run the team as he wants... Romo will be going nowhere, if you look at his numbers they are very close to what Rivers has put up this season and yes he has had a couple of poor games but his WR's have let him down a lot this season... As for last night, Romo was outstanding and has shown that he is one of the top QB's there are... Hopefully in the draft and free agency Dallas can strengthen their OL and get another top WR.
Old 08.12.2009, 07:22 AM
Rookie

As far as Sunday, the defense and special teams lost that game, the pathetic arm tackling and missed hits. Plus there wasn't any pressure on Eli, one sack this year in both games, last year we had eight. True the running game was bad, but they (the Giants) were concentrated on it as we gained over 250 yrds in week 2.
Wade will probably be gone after this year, our terrible GM has already stated that if he doesn't win in Dec. we will be out. As for a big name coming in like Shanahan or someone coming in I don't see it, he got let go in Denver for wanting more control, and Bowlen isn't near the dictator that Jerry is. There is no way Jerry will give a coach full control of this team, he has said that on more than one occasion, it's his team and he likes to be involved. Which is why Garrett will probably be our next head coach.
Also Romo just signed a $67 million contract last year for 6 years, he's not going anywhere.
No sure if this Dec. (curse) is somehow mental or what, but the players and staff really need to get over it, they complain that the local press is ripping them about it, well then they should do something about it.
As far as the playoffs are concerned, I don't think we make it. I thought 9-7 at the beginning of the year. I'm still hopful because the NFCE still has games against each other, but don't believe we get in.
Old 08.12.2009, 11:27 AM
All Pro

Has the local press in Dallas got off Romo's back or is he still being blamed for the Cowboys failings?
Hope you are wrong about Garrett being HC next season... I know there was talk a year ago that he had been promised it after Phillips but he doesn't look up to it... His play calling Sunday was bewildering, why he didn't try and stretch the Giants Defence with some deep passes is beyond me... It allowed them to keep 8-9 men close to the line of srummage and totaly shut down the running game.... I just hope that with next season's Super Bowl being in Dallas that JJ will at least try and take a more of a backseat approach and let a coach like Holmgren or Shanahan have more control of where the team is going... I think even JJ's ego could take that if it meant seeing the Cowboys play in the Super Bowl in their own house.