Revis: “Pay the Man” vs. ”Greedy Selfish Crook” - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Old 10.08.2010, 01:00 AM
All Pro

Default Revis: “Pay the Man” vs. ”Greedy Selfish Crook”

Well training camp has entered its second week and star corner back Darrelle Revis is still a hold out. I’ve been trying to keep up with events on both the Jets site and the official facebook site for the Jets. Something I’ve found really interesting is how divided we Jets fans are on the issue. So do you think Revis is worth every penny and should get paid as soon as possible, or do you think he is a greedy, self centred crook who needs to learn to put the team first?
Old 10.08.2010, 01:30 AM
MVP

If he doesn't sign before week 1. Then let him rot away for the rest of his wasted career. There's a power struggle going on right now and if Revis really thinks he has the leverage because of his ability, then let him think that. He better be aware though that holding out could literally be NFL suicide for him.

Only the Jets could look like a genuine SB contender only to have their best player refuse to play. Quite hilarious actually. Sanchez needs a big year to make up for the loss of probably the best defensive player in football.

Last edited by Jacks Jets; 10.08.2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10.08.2010, 10:38 AM
MVP

At the end of the Day these contracts and their structure are silly, He was never ever gonna play for 1m for this season, it would have been agreed it needed reworking before this season when he signed it, this is common in US sports, and the reworking level would depend on his performance, last season he was superb and he knows he needs to get the big money contract after a season like that.. He on last seasons performance should get big big silly money. No way would he get traded for anyone else in his posistion so he thus should be highest paid in league is his posistion.

Get the contract done and prepare for the season.

Without having sat in the meetings I can only judge from info released but...

Revis isnt the villian here, the silly contract structure takes part of the blame and the rest lies with the owner/management.

Get him signed now. He deserves to get paid.
Old 10.08.2010, 12:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
At the end of the Day these contracts and their structure are silly, He was never ever gonna play for 1m for this season, it would have been agreed it needed reworking before this season when he signed it, this is common in US sports, and the reworking level would depend on his performance, last season he was superb and he knows he needs to get the big money contract after a season like that.. He on last seasons performance should get big big silly money. No way would he get traded for anyone else in his posistion so he thus should be highest paid in league is his posistion.

Get the contract done and prepare for the season.

Without having sat in the meetings I can only judge from info released but...

Revis isnt the villian here, the silly contract structure takes part of the blame and the rest lies with the owner/management.

Get him signed now. He deserves to get paid.
Yes he is the villian. Revis always aspired to be the best ever from day 1, so why did he sign a contract knowing that year was coming up?

He may deserve to be the highest player in the league, but he's in no position to demand it. He's not a pending FA like Aso was, so he can't go elsewhere for free, he has to see out the contract he signed himself to get that sort of leverage.

He's the main reason the situation is so ugly. Look at Nick Mangold, you don't think he deserves a new deal? He's been the best in the league for 2 years and been consistently excellent from day 1. Yet he's in camp and he explained that he was there to help guys like Slauson and Ducasse with the new starting offensive line.

Revis, otoh, nowhere to be seen despite Mangold having much more reason to sit out. Yet he's there, because he's a team player who has this crazy idea of wanting to win a championship.
Old 10.08.2010, 02:50 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Jets View Post
Yes he is the villian. Revis always aspired to be the best ever from day 1, so why did he sign a contract knowing that year was coming up?

He may deserve to be the highest player in the league, but he's in no position to demand it. He's not a pending FA like Aso was, so he can't go elsewhere for free, he has to see out the contract he signed himself to get that sort of leverage.

He's the main reason the situation is so ugly. Look at Nick Mangold, you don't think he deserves a new deal? He's been the best in the league for 2 years and been consistently excellent from day 1. Yet he's in camp and he explained that he was there to help guys like Slauson and Ducasse with the new starting offensive line.

Revis, otoh, nowhere to be seen despite Mangold having much more reason to sit out. Yet he's there, because he's a team player who has this crazy idea of wanting to win a championship.
The problem is these contracts are built in way that they are meant to be restructured. This is the problem. When it comes to the time for restructuring its the same as being out of contract it was a pre-arranged time to redo the contract. Its all to do with salary cap. It happens time and time again.

He signed that contract knowing that he would have been promised restructuring and in his mind thinking he would be worth more after playing than before. He was right.
Old 10.08.2010, 03:06 PM
All Pro

Sorry to butt in another team's board, but I do feel that Aso's contract is being leaned on far too heavily by Revis' agents. If ever there was a contract to be massivley detached from reality it's Asos.

Revis' demand to be the highest paid CB would be entirely reasonable if it wasn't for that contract, but demanding to be paid bettter than Aso is quite frankly ridiculous.

In no way would it mean the Jets undervalue Revis if he were to paid less than Aso - just that Aso successfully held Al Smith and the Raiders to ransom...and they were stupid enough to bite. (If you needed any more reassurance that this is the case then just look at their kicker's contracts and drafting...)

I don't think for a second however that this would be career suicide for Revis, but that's because he has too much ability and talent.
Old 10.08.2010, 11:37 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Jets View Post
If he doesn't sign before week 1. Then let him rot away for the rest of his wasted career. There's a power struggle going on right now and if Revis really thinks he has the leverage because of his ability, then let him think that. He better be aware though that holding out could literally be NFL suicide for him.

Only the Jets could look like a genuine SB contender only to have their best player refuse to play. Quite hilarious actually. Sanchez needs a big year to make up for the loss of probably the best defensive player in football.
Agree 100%. Stick him the reserves. It's not even as if he's in the last year of his contract.
Old 11.08.2010, 09:22 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardiehibee View Post
Agree 100%. Stick him the reserves. It's not even as if he's in the last year of his contract.
This is never going to happen. Why would Jets hurt themselves just to make a point, if a deal can't be done he will be traded.

You guys have a very short memory and obviously havent put yourself in his place.

Your loyalty to the Jets is blinding you.

Im not happy this is the situation but I understand why its occured, Im hoping sense on both sides can return.
Old 11.08.2010, 01:11 PM
Pro

When this whole issue began, I could completely understand why Revis was holding out. After the season he just had, shutting down so many top level wide outs he had every right to want to have a restructured contract. The $1million he would end up recieving was never going to happen, especially in a year where Rex Ryan may end up guiding us to the big game.

However, Revis doesn't seem to want to budge on what he is demanding in the way of payment. I know he has now waived the right to future payments but that is a non-entity now as if this thing turns sour, he knows he'll get what he wants from someone else. He needs to realise that he has to give a little to get a little!

Personally, I feel he is the best CB in the game at the moment, and the fact that Charles Woodson beat him to the Defensive player of the year award was quite remarkable. I would love for a deal to agreed, especially if it were to be concluded before the end of pre-season. However if he is not going to budge on his demands, I feel the best thing to do would be to start working with Kyle Wilson now, prepping him for the first regular season game and place the main man coverage with Cromatie. If this is left to drag on too long, it will only cause more headaches for the team and coaching staff in a season where greatness could happen. A line has to be drawn somewhere and soon..................either he gets what he wants, or we trade him.
Old 11.08.2010, 04:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousif_e View Post
When this whole issue began, I could completely understand why Revis was holding out. After the season he just had, shutting down so many top level wide outs he had every right to want to have a restructured contract. The $1million he would end up recieving was never going to happen, especially in a year where Rex Ryan may end up guiding us to the big game.

However, Revis doesn't seem to want to budge on what he is demanding in the way of payment. I know he has now waived the right to future payments but that is a non-entity now as if this thing turns sour, he knows he'll get what he wants from someone else. He needs to realise that he has to give a little to get a little!

Personally, I feel he is the best CB in the game at the moment, and the fact that Charles Woodson beat him to the Defensive player of the year award was quite remarkable. I would love for a deal to agreed, especially if it were to be concluded before the end of pre-season. However if he is not going to budge on his demands, I feel the best thing to do would be to start working with Kyle Wilson now, prepping him for the first regular season game and place the main man coverage with Cromatie. If this is left to drag on too long, it will only cause more headaches for the team and coaching staff in a season where greatness could happen. A line has to be drawn somewhere and soon..................either he gets what he wants, or we trade him.

Yeah I agree mate. Im think they have shifted Cro over in training and started training wilson... it'll be bad but not a disaster... if preperation is right.

Hopefully it gets sorted.

I think it will be.