Payton Manning - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Old 11.01.2012, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev macca View Post
hi guys just wondered what you think of trading sanchez to move up the board to get say griffin 3 or tannehill come draft day. i really dont think manning would be a good move for you he would take up huge salary cap, and he runs his own offence i dont see ryan allowing him to be the guy in the organisation
No. No, no, no, no, no. Nein, Niet, non. Not going to happen, never in a million years.
Old 12.01.2012, 07:07 AM
Starter

If Peyton came it would only be a short term gap fill. We tried similar with Brett Favre which didn't work. We would be back to square one in a couple of years.
Old 12.01.2012, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Don't understand why some people seem to think Manning would be the answer to all our problems. He would have a far inferior supporting cast to what he has/had in Indianapolis and probably wouldn't last 5 minutes behind our porous OL.....
Old 12.01.2012, 09:12 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Don't understand why some people seem to think Manning would be the answer to all our problems. He would have a far inferior supporting cast to what he has/had in Indianapolis and probably wouldn't last 5 minutes behind our porous OL.....
Yeah, Throughout his best years he won the big one once and only taken Indy there one other time.. He is now on decline what makes anyone think he is the answer is beyond me.

We need a player that will become an Elite QB not that WAS an elite QB.. he will still be a great QB but he is not a move we should be making.
Old 12.01.2012, 10:05 AM
Pro

Payton speculation is just hype from the US media 9and we all know what the NY media are like when it comes to percieved problems with the Giants / Jets / Knicks / Yankees!)

They have looked at the situation from a very basic point of view.....

Sanchez (ropey season) + Indy's "suck for Luck" position = Payton traded to the east coast.

So much goes into looking for an elite franchise QB, and longevity / contract value is definitely one of the major factors. This isn't something that we'd get from picking up Manning's contract. It would also have a knock on effect by limiting our options in other areas.

If the O-line was to be improved however, buying Sanchez the extra second or two that he needs to make a more solid read, I truely believe the "Sanchez as a franchise QB" arguement would not be as much of an issue. Take Tebow for example......solid O line that allows him both time and the options to make plays. Sanchez requires the same rigidity up front.

Granted he is not an elite QB, and as each year passes, the chances of him developing to anywhere near the levels of Brady,Brees, Rodgers et al diminish slightly more. But this still does not mean he can't bring success.

The only issue I would say is that he has no pressure at all in regards to depth in his position to perform, so maybe having a back up who can actually play instead of just being the extra man in training may help.
Old 12.01.2012, 10:29 AM
MVP

I agree mate and even if I didnt I dont see how this off season we can replace Mark with anything near as decent. We would at best end up with a good back up for someone else as starter.

I think we strengthen the rest of the team and if Mark is still off the pace of what is expected we make a move when there is a moved to be made.. right now we would be forcing a move.
Old 18.01.2012, 10:24 AM
Team Captain

If Peyton can play at 100% capacity it's a no brainer for almost any team to sign him given half a chance. He's one of the all time greats. If he's not healthy there's no point.
Old 24.01.2012, 10:38 AM
Pro

If his neck injury put him out for a whole season, then you have to think that one blind side sack could pretty much write him off for good. His 100% capacity now is surely only 75% of what it was before he got hurt!
Old 24.01.2012, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousif_e View Post
If his neck injury put him out for a whole season, then you have to think that one blind side sack could pretty much write him off for good. His 100% capacity now is surely only 75% of what it was before he got hurt!
Signing a player coming off neck surgery, who has 1 or 2 years left in him at best, is a big risk and does little if anything to help us build long-term (a la Brett Favre). Sanchez is still the #1, though imo we need to bring in a legitimate backup who can actually push him for the starting spot instead of 80 year old Mark Brunell.
Old 24.01.2012, 02:08 PM
MVP

He wont land with us but he is 100% worth the risk for anyone drafting a rookie QB this year.. this is why I dont understand why colts would let him go.. re-work his contract, talk to him and get him involved mentoring a new QB... Maybe he still wants a non challenged starter role or Elite money.. Maybe he is still as good as he ever was.. its alot of maybes... I'd say at least 28 teams will be keeping an eye and depending on what he wants would look at him in some capacity...